charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Mulan:

With all these straight to streaming films I always have a moment where I go “I see why this went online”. This film felt like a slog to get through.

It was impressive to me just how far they went to make the film look like one of those modern CG infused Chinese blockbusters, from the set design, special effects, and even the way some scenes are shot. If you had told me that this was a 100% Chinese movie just reshot into English I would believe you.

I’d also say it’s the best looking straight to VOD release of the pandemic. A lot of stuff in the second half of the film will put your 4K HDR TV to good use.

The choice of getting rid of Eddie Murphy’s Mu-Shu also works well. When Mulan is alone in the training camp there’s no comic relief dragon coming to her rescue. She’s by herself and you do get scared for her. The risks she takes regarding protecting her identity is better felt in the remake. However this also highlights the biggest problem with this movie: it doesn’t go far enough from the original. Like it’s shackled to it.

The callbacks to the original film can range from being ‘out of place’ to ‘stilted’ and to flat out ‘bizarre’. Why was the story told within the framework of the old film? The comedic scenes copied feel stiff. Things like jamming the lyrics of a song into the dialogue and having a random guy be the Lucky Cricket come across as forced pandering to a nostalgic audience that can access the original film with the click of two buttons.

The expanded action can be kinda cool but this film was clearly made to be PG (it’s rated PG13 but rather than cut shots it fells like they’ve left everything intact and are using the PG13 rating towards the marketing). The action is hollow compared to other PG13 films of its scale.

I just wanted to type about this thing. I could go further but the bottom line is this: this movie is another Disney remake I’m not mad I saw. I will just never watch it again and will probably forget it ever happened in 2 months just like all the others (apart from Aladdin. I like Aladdin).

Oh... and Jet Li being the emperor blew my mind. I had no idea.

Verdict: WAIT UNTIL IT’S “FREE”.

The Last of Us Part 2

An incredible piece of technology. A fun game mostly. Brought down by a story that feels unnecessarily glued onto the back of the first game, featuring characters that only worked within the narrative of the original. I realised I didn’t much care Joel and Ellie outside of the first game pretty early on.

The Shooting and stealthy stuff is fun. Going through the stages and collecting resources is fine until it feels like a chore but there’s always some cool setpeice or action moment thrown before I get too bored.

Games are becoming more cinematic and that cool, but now games and players have to learn the lessons we already learned as filmgoers: not every narrative needs a sequel. 

It’a technically a very well made video game, but why is it here?

• Like 2

watched singin' in the rain (1952) and it was absolutely exceptional, I loved about almost everything about it (the broadway melody sequence drags down a bit but it doesn't detract much from the ending). Donald O'Connor is a joy to watch and Make 'Em Laugh & Moses Supposes are fantastic examples of lyrical physical comedy and O'Connor is just an amazing dancer, his dance choreography is extremely impressive for its time. I'm not too familiar with the musical genre but this one was one of the most hilariously entertaining feel good musicals I've seen. 8/10

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 2

Don't think I did this for quite a while - 

Batman (rewatch) - 8/10

Moneyball (rewatch) - 8/10

Total Recall - 8/10

Kabi Kushi Kabhie Gham - 6/10 ( @charlie Jatinder holy shit, this movie had so much crying and is borderline nationalist propaganda)

Batman Returns - 10/10

The Pirate - 6/10

Blackhat (rewatch) - 9/10

Starter for 10 - 4/10 (literally twitter: the movie)

The witches of Eastwick - 7/10

John Wick 3 (rewatch) - 9/10

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - 7/10

Bill and Ted Face the Music - 6/10

Mulan - 3/10

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 7/10

Touch of Evil - 9/10

Also watched half of 42 and a bit of Get on Up (hoping to complete both films this week). 

Tv shows -

Curb - Finished the show and I don't think I have much more to say other than what I previously said about hilarious this show is.

Infinity Train - Rewatched season 1 and watched the latter two seasons for the first time. Excellent anthology series that actually makes you care about these characters even if they're new each season. And it gets better and better each season. Season 3 is brilliant and maybe my favourite season of TV this year (tied with Curb Season 10). Also moving to HBO Max allowed to do some dark things they couldn't have done on CN. 

The Amazing World of Gumball (rewatch) - Watched this a lot in middle school. Still a lot of fun.

Raised by Wolves - The show was made for Scott's Alien prequel lovers like me and it seems like a lot of people who didn't enjoy those movies like this too.  Really enjoyed the first three episodes.

Lovecraft Country - Fun pulpy show that sometimes (espescially episode 2) goes through dramatic beats way too quickly. Really enjoyed the genre-mashing here.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

On 9/6/2020 at 12:42 PM, Madhuvan said:

Woah! 

Boy S2 is excellent. Specially the 3rd episode. Mind blowing last 5 minutes. 

This is going down in history. 

Actually I think this season of boys has the potential to finally top Watchmen from last year. Insane. 

Watchmen was already topped by the first season of The Boys. There's a reason Watchmen isn't getting another season 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harry Poppins said:

Watchmen was already topped by the first season of The Boys. There's a reason Watchmen isn't getting another season 

Watchmen has 26 Emmy nominations, more then any other show. 

Never seen The Boys, but one of them was cast in Scream, so I might watch it. So many shows on right now though so it’s on a long list. 

Megamind: B+

Hot take time:

1.) 2010 was a better quality year for animation and possibly the best year for the medium in cinema. 

2.) Megamind is probably better than the vast majority of MCU movies including every Avengers movie, every DCEU movie not named Wonder Woman and every modern X-Men film except First Class and Logan. But then again Batman: Mask of The Phantasm, The Incredibles series, Megamind and the best superhero movie of all time: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse shows the most memorable superhero films are animated. (Lego Batman and TTG are fun and we don’t acknowledge Big Hero 6, BH6 is pretty mediocre)

Megamind is actually a well crafted superhero film and animated film. A lot of the film’s strengths come from the characters. Pitt, Farrell, Fey and Hill really sell these characters, as well as the film being more dialogue driven despite being a fun comedy. The themes or nature vs nurture are really well done for a family aimed film and the villain is really ahead of the time. However the two things preventing this from greatness is the action scenes aren’t really too dynamic and while really funny, I thought it could’ve been funnier. Megamind is an underrated superhero film I highly recommend.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Watchmen has 26 Emmy nominations, more then any other show. 

Never seen The Boys, but one of them was cast in Scream, so I might watch it. So many shows on right now though so it’s on a long list. 

The watchmen was really well made but it's hard getting into without knowing much about the source material, for me.

32 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Megamind: B+

Hot take time:

1.) 2010 was a better quality year for animation and possibly the best year for the medium in cinema. 

2.) Megamind is probably better than the vast majority of MCU movies including every Avengers movie, every DCEU movie not named Wonder Woman and every modern X-Men film except First Class and Logan. But then again Batman: Mask of The Phantasm, The Incredibles series, Megamind and the best superhero movie of all time: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse shows the most memorable superhero films are animated. (Lego Batman and TTG are fun and we don’t acknowledge Big Hero 6, BH6 is pretty mediocre)

Megamind is actually a well crafted superhero film and animated film. A lot of the film’s strengths come from the characters. Pitt, Farrell, Fey and Hill really sell these characters, as well as the film being more dialogue driven despite being a fun comedy. The themes or nature vs nurture are really well done for a family aimed film and the villain is really ahead of the time. However the two things preventing this from greatness is the action scenes aren’t really too dynamic and while really funny, I thought it could’ve been funnier. Megamind is an underrated superhero film I highly recommend.

Megamind deserved all the success Despicable Me got. I remember being surprised that it never took off

• Like 1

I’m Thinking of Ending Things pretty pretentious, self indulgent nonsense. The characters don’t speak like humans. They speak like they’re reading aloud from a boring book in a school class. Some creepy, effective moments in the first half. Great Toni Collette performance, as always. 2/5 

*Netflix are using that lame trend of not using capital letters for the title. 

42 (2013) 6/10: good Chadwick Boseman performance in an otherwise bland and conventional biopic.

Being John Malkovich (1999) 7/10

Onward (2020) 7/10

Wild Rose (2018) 7/10

Adaptation (2001) 8/10 

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020) 8/10 : a bit too abstract for me but the atmosphere and the performances carry the movie for me.

Sunset Boulevard (1950) 8/10 

The 400 Blows (1959) 8/10 

Day of Wrath (1943) 8/10: one of the most brutal religious witch-hunt movies i've seen and impressive cinematography for its time.

Synecdoche, New York (2008) 9/10: most relatable movie I've seen in a while. Hoffman is consistently amazing in everything I've seen from him and this might be my fav of his (or at least on par with the Master)

Edited by RealLyre

Started watching The Leftovers Season 2 and now that I've seen Lost (I hadn't seen Lost when I saw Season 1), I can easily see some similarities in terms of the writing between this show and Lost. First 3 episodes so far espescially felt like they could've been flashback segments in a Lost episode (with some changes of course). Also, anyone know why Meg became a complete psycho? I don't remember at all what happened to her at the end of season 1.

Edited by lorddemaxus

On 9/6/2020 at 12:42 PM, Madhuvan said:

Woah! 

Boy S2 is excellent. Specially the 3rd episode. Mind blowing last 5 minutes. 

This is going down in history. 

Actually I think this season of boys has the potential to finally top Watchmen from last year. Insane. 

tenor.gif?itemid=18001122

• Like 1

big fan of aya cash cuz of You're The Worst I'm glad her performance on The Boys is getting a lot of attention, she's great so far. enjoyed the first few episodes. the fact that the young quaid is such a wet blanket makes it hard to love. one of those shows where every character is interesting except the main guy.