charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the young quaid is such a wet blanket makes it hard to love

Every time the show focuses on him, I feel like it seriously dips in quality. He's not a good actor and his character is so boring. Also saw a couple episode of You're the Worst a year or two ago and I think I should try getting into that show again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Movies:

The Hidden Fortress: Gotta say alot funnier than I expected but like Seven Samurai no matter how many films continue to borrow or be inspired by this film it doesn't take away how great this film is 8.5/10

Mulan (1998): Always interested to see which particular Disney films people grew up with. Mulan was one I watched far more than say Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid growing up. 8.5/10

Mulan (2020): I mentioned this elsewhere but I like the idea of this film more than the execution. Still was mildly entertained but that's it 6/10

Taxi Driver (1976): I've really only watched Scorsese's later films never any from his early filmography so correcting that now, 

9/10

Citizen Kane (1942): Finally got around to watching this one 9/10

TV:

The Office Season 9: So ends my watch of The Office which while had a mediocre final season had some really good final episodes and a pretty good finale. Overall was really glad I got around to watching this show as it certainly has helped me through the current lockdown period. 

The Boys Season 2: So far so good with how the consequences of S1's ending has propelled this season. Agree with everyone about Hughie though I'll say I don't hate him but yeah he isn't as fun as the other characters. 

My Hero Academia Season 2: Any story that revolves around a tournament or a sports element always gets my interest. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Agree with everyone about Hughie though I'll say I hate him

It's amazing, how supposedly lead character of the show is the one least liked. Truth be told, I don't like Boys now especially Butcher. The disgusting thing they did in 3rd episode, ugh. It's like why do I need to root for these assholes anymore. Hughie arc IMO was done better last season with him eventually saving A-Train in the finale. 

Now. Ehh.

I am now more interested in seeing the bad superhero only now.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:36 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Started watching The Leftovers Season 2 and now that I've seen Lost (I hadn't seen Lost when I saw Season 1), I can easily see some similarities in terms of the writing between this show and Lost. First 3 episodes so far espescially felt like they could've been flashback segments in a Lost episode (with some changes of course). Also, anyone know why Meg became a complete psycho? I don't remember at all what happened to her at the end of season 1.

Holy shit that season 2 finale is one of the most tense TV show episodes I've ever seen. The season as a whole has been a huge upgrade from the first season imo.

• Like 2

Just binged the entirety of Season 3 today and the way this show ended made me feel the same way Lost ended. Incredibly emotionally satisfying finales that made me tear up the entire way through for a multitude of reasons. Gonna take me some time to process this brilliant show. 

And @Plain Old Tele "International Assassin" is a fantastic episode too but I thought that "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)" took the concept of that episode to an entirely another level. 

Edit:

Spoiler

I also saw that there are a lot of people analysing if Nora said the truth or not but I don't think that matters. Like with Lost's finale (which got criticized for not making any sense at all), all that mattered to me was that these characters finally found peace.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just binged the entirety of Season 3 today and the way this show ended made me feel the same way Lost ended. Incredibly emotionally satisfying finales that made me tear up the entire way through for a multitude of reasons. Gonna take me some time to process this brilliant show. 

And @Plain Old Tele "International Assassin" is a fantastic episode too but I thought that "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)" took the concept of that episode to an entirely another level. 

Edit:

Hide contents

I also saw that there are a lot of people analysing if Nora said the truth or not but I don't think that matters. Like with Lost's finale (which got criticized for not making any sense at all), all that mattered to me was that these characters finally found peace.

YESSSSSS it’s so fantastic. All the feels. 

• Like 1

Week 23

05-11 Sep 2020

Movies

1. Blade Runner: So I wanted to do Denis Villeneuve filmography this week, for that watched this, which I had on hold for so long. This was painfully slow but that is not a major problem if characters and story are interesting which is where it didn't worked for me. BGM was ugh. The whole setting of dark and wet is not my cup of tea. May be after 30 years I will also like it. A very lenient 4/10.
  2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: This is a great film. Donno why I was keeping it on hold for so long. The other work of director seems nice too, will check that out this week. 8/10.

And that's it? In my head I watched more films last week.

TV

1. The Boys S02E04: Yeah going well. At this point am not even a bit interested in what Boys do, only Seven is what that matters and good thing being this had more of that. Stormfront is done well. Let's see how rest of season go.

As for the Indian movie I want you guys to check out this week, it is TUMBBAD. The film is very well done and looks good too for something made in less than a million dollar. If you like stuff like Pan Labyrinth, don't miss it.

IMDb: 8.3/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 87% with 23 reviews (that's actually surprise now that I am looking, it got so many reviews)

Hollywood Reporter says "Atmospheric, heavy on mythology and scary as hell."

Spoiler

Please don't make it FLOP. 

Tagging those who regularly post in here and few others that I think may be interested.

@lorddemaxus  @Cap @TwoMisfits @Darth Lehnsherr @Plain Old Tele @CJohn @RealLyre @TMP @Krissykins @CoolioD1 @Joel M @The Panda @Arendelle Legion @TalismanRing @titanic2187 @Tower @chasmmi @Daxtreme

It is available of Prime Video and guess on Playstore and Itunes & stuff. 

Trailer

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My movie watching has gone way down since going back to work, but I got to watch Sunset Boulevard twice this week: once in prepping to show it to a class, then showing it to said class. It’s always occupied a weird place in my mind where it’s absolutely an all-timer, but I also always hold it against its fellow 1950 masterpiece All About Eve, which is in my all-time top five. The script is amazing and Gloria Swanson’s verbal and physical expressiveness as Norma Desmond is incredible.

I’m also watching Burn After Reading for the first time since a re-watch on DVD over the Christmas/New Year’s break in ‘08. Only the Coen Brothers would follow something as dark and lyrical as No Country for Old Men with a goofy star-driven comedy.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

The Nightingale (2018) 9/10 - From Jennifer Kent who directed the Babadook. Really harrowing, brutal film. Powerful themes and the film has lot of complex emotions juggling around that it manages to handle with grace, fantastic acting by everyone. Was really surprised by Sam Claflin who's just been a pretty boy so far in his career, he was so despicable in this. Also had no idea what the setting/backdrop of the film was going into it and I thought it did a great job of exploring the treatment of Aboriginals in Australia. 

Not for those easily disturbed or affected by films. It's a tough watch in some parts.

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Week 23

05-11 Sep 2020

Movies

1. Blade Runner: So I wanted to do Denis Villeneuve filmography this week, for that watched this, which I had on hold for so long. This was painfully slow but that is not a major problem if characters and story are interesting which is where it didn't worked for me. BGM was ugh. The whole setting of dark and wet is not my cup of tea. May be after 30 years I will also like it. A very lenient 4/10.
  2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: This is a great film. Donno why I was keeping it on hold for so long. The other work of director seems nice too, will check that out this week. 8/10.

And that's it? In my head I watched more films last week.

TV

1. The Boys S02E04: Yeah going well. At this point am not even a bit interested in what Boys do, only Seven is what that matters and good thing being this had more of that. Stormfront is done well. Let's see how rest of season go.

As for the Indian movie I want you guys to check out this week, it is TUMBBAD. The film is very well done and looks good too for something made in less than a million dollar. If you like stuff like Pan Labyrinth, don't miss it.

IMDb: 8.3/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 87% with 23 reviews (that's actually surprise now that I am looking, it got so many reviews)

Hollywood Reporter says "Atmospheric, heavy on mythology and scary as hell."

Hide contents

Please don't make it FLOP. 

Tagging those who regularly post in here and few others that I think may be interested.

@lorddemaxus  @Cap @TwoMisfits @Darth Lehnsherr @Plain Old Tele @CJohn @RealLyre @Krissykins @CoolioD1 @Joel M @The Panda @Arendelle Legion @TalismanRing @titanic2187 @Tower @chasmmi @Daxtreme

It is available of Prime Video and guess on Playstore and Itunes & stuff. 

Trailer

Thanks for the heads up, I added it to my queue.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:09 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Edit:

Hide contents

I thought the

Spoiler

"Is she telling the truth?" aspect of the finale really brought home all the points the show was making about theology and belief. It didn't matter what we think, all that matters is if Kevin believes it sight unseen; because that's one of the defining features of what makes up faith. Felt like a microcosm for the show as a whole. 

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2

One Night in Miami was pretty great. There are moments where it feels a bit stage-y and workmanlike, but King did a pretty solid job behind the lens; especially when it came to the pacing and directing the ensemble. The guy who plays Malcolm X was the MVP, really great performance.

• Like 2

Didn't watch any movies last week.

Shows:

The Leftovers Season 2 and 3 -  I have to watch Season 1 again but this might actually become my favourite show of all time. My experience watching these two seasons also surpassed my experience watching any other movie or show that I've seen this year (except maybe the finale of Lost). The two seasons I saw were an emotional and tense ride (the show takes some incredibly risky and crazy turns that has you wondering what's gonna happen until the very last 10 minutes of the finale) that deal with the belief systems we form to create some sort of hope and the importance of having community and love to get through a tragedy. I'm honestly a bit pissed that the show got no awards recognition at all. I'm happy that Lindelof is now getting some for Watchmen but Carrie Coon, Justin Theroux, and Christopher Eccelston gave career-defining performances and should've been nominated for at least an emmy each instead of being completely snubbed. 

The Boys Season 2 Episode 4 - Maybe it was because I had just finished watching the above show the day before but this episode was pretty boring and the dramatic scenes feel so repetitive.  Almost every single dramatic scene is just the main characters explaining their backstories, none of which impacts the show meaningfully. Easily the worst episode of the show so far. Hughie and Starlight also have some incredibly bad chemistry (they did in the first season too but nowhere near as bad as this season). Maybe the first time in a TV show where I didn't give a single crap about the romantic subplot.

Raised By Wolves Episode 4 - Nothing really happens this episode.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TMP said:

One Night in Miami was pretty great. There are moments where it feels a bit stage-y and workmanlike, but King did a pretty solid job behind the lens; especially when it came to the pacing and directing the ensemble. The guy who plays Malcolm X was the MVP, really great performance.

yeah it was very noticeable how stage-y it felt. the whole scenes in the hotel rooms in the house where characters were coming in and out as if it was a play (which maybe makes sense cus its based on a play) , but that wasn't as distracting as I thought it was gonna be because King had great blocking and it flew by smoothly. I think this could get 2 acting nominations, the guy who plays Malcolm X in lead and the one who played Sam Cooke in supporting. or they can put them both in supporting cus it's an ensemble. also the dialogue was really good. solid debut from King.

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Didn't watch any movies last week.

Shows:

The Leftovers Season 2 and 3 -  I have to watch Season 1 again but this might actually become my favourite show of all time. My experience watching these two seasons also surpassed my experience watching any other movie or show that I've seen this year (except maybe the finale of Lost). The two seasons I saw were an emotional and tense ride (the show takes some incredibly risky and crazy turns that has you wondering what's gonna happen until the very last 10 minutes of the finale) that deal with the belief systems we form to create some sort of hope and the importance of having community and love to get through a tragedy. I'm honestly a bit pissed that the show got no awards recognition at all. I'm happy that Lindelof is now getting some for Watchmen but Carrie Coon, Justin Theroux, and Christopher Eccelston gave career-defining performances and should've been nominated for at least an emmy each instead of being completely snubbed. 

The Boys Season 2 Episode 4 - Maybe it was because I had just finished watching the above show the day before but this episode was pretty boring and the dramatic scenes feel so repetitive.  Almost every single dramatic scene is just the main characters explaining their backstories, none of which impacts the show meaningfully. Easily the worst episode of the show so far. Hughie and Starlight also have some incredibly bad chemistry (they did in the first season too but nowhere near as bad as this season). Maybe the first time in a TV show where I didn't give a single crap about the romantic subplot.

Raised By Wolves Episode 4 - Nothing really happens this episode.

Award shows consistently snubbing The Leftovers despite it being one of the best shows on tv at the time goes down as one of the their most annoying decisions of all time, especially nominating Carrie Coon for Fargo while just ignoring her brilliant performance as Nora. Agreed about the boys, just not feeling this episode or Hughie/Starlight

• Like 2

Just finished watching Daybreak in Netflix. 

Thought it was really good. I liked how it starts out being all goofy and fun for a few episodes then gets more serious for a couple episodes before bringing it home with a big, goofy fun ending. And I didn’t see the very end coming which was a cool little twist that clearly sets up a second season. 

Next I think I’ll start watching Raised by Wolves. Haven’t started The Boys S2 yet. 

• Like 1