charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

As I mentioned in the theater reopening thread, I finally ventured back out to a theater to check out Tenet this afternoon.

It's a pretty solid movie. I'm a little disappointed to "only" call a Nolan film pretty solid, but that's what it is. I'm damn glad that I got to see it theatrically.

Watched the new The Boys in the Band last night. Pretty good stuff. Suffers from the issue that usually plagues play-to-movie adaptations in that it can't hide its stage origins, but Joe Mantello does as good of a job possible making the late Mart Crowley's groundbreaking work feel as "cinematic" as possible while also preserving it as an unfiltered/uncomfortable look at gay life in late 1960s New York that still packs a punch without forcing in any parallels as to how far we've come in gay rights/visibility over the 50 years since the original production and William Friedkin's version.

Helps Mantello brought the talented cast from his revival back for this. Would make for a worthy SAG Ensemble nominee. Easily the best performance Jim Parsons has delivered yet. MVPs are Zachary Quinto (as the only one of the nine men who truly knows himself) and Robin de Jesus (adding layers of humanity to what easily could've been a walking stereotype). Matt Bomer is mostly on hand to be relaxed and look handsome, things that require zero effort from him.

Cobra Kai Season 1: B+/A- - A great reboot and actually a more accurate depiction of high school than most blockbusters.

Cobra Kai Season 2: B+ - More entertaining but a slight step down from Season 1. Also Sam keeps causing problems and the pettiness of Daniel still stays.

Bojack Horseman S6: A+ - The best thing to come out of animation in the 2010s was Bojack Horseman. The finale is excellent and full of excellent drama.

Hoops: F: I’d rather watch Paradise PD than this. Shame on you for being involved in this Lord/Miller even though you are just executive producing.

Spider-Man: Homecoming: C+/B- - One of the weaker Spider-Man entries but somewhat fun in its own right, but this is the peak of Spider-Man being tolerable in the MCU for me.

Spider-Man: Far From Home: D+ - I don’t like the idea of Peter Parker being white and privileged with only villain threats being the only real drama he faces.

Movies:

Up til April I'm finally going to watch all the James Bond films having only seen a handful outside the Craig era

Dr No: 7/10 Wish we got to see more of Dr No but as a starting point quite solid

From Russia With Love: 9/10 Easily on the best Bond movies with a more espionage tone than Dr No.

Goldfinger (rewatch): 8.5/10 Not much more I can say than the quintessential Bond movie 

Raging Bull: 9/10 I love sports dramas but can't think of one as more compelling and complex as this one with De Niro giving his finest performance. 

TV:

My Hero Academia Season 2: This show is scratching the itch that no other superhero content has given me so far which is how someone actually trains up to be a superhero. Fantastic expansion of the world and characters so far.

Ducktales Season 3: If you're a Disney fan lowkey this is one of the best animation shows from Disney in a while. A rare reboot done right.

The Boys Season 2: Interesting last episode though storywise this season has moved more slowly than Season 1.

• Like 4

I'm through The Boys Season 2 Episodes 1-4.  I actually have enjoyed all of it so far, even the expansive plot with acres of subplots.  I think it gives "enough meat" to the season to be able to justify X number of episodes without it getting boring.  I don't hate Hughie yet, but we'll see as the episodes keep going.  I've been watching an episode every few days, so I didn't binge 1-3, nor did I have a big break to 4, so maybe that changed my perspective on flow and build vs those who got that episode 3 ending after watching the 1st 3 hours together like a movie...

Week 26

26 Sep - 1 Oct 2020

Due to IPL and my classes, couldn't watch much.

Movies

1. The Accidental Prime Minister: Among the lowest lows of Bollywood. 0/10.
  2. Mulk: It's decent and definitely watchable but considering the last two films of director, this comes out overdramatic. 3/10.

TV

1. The Boys S02E07: It keeps falling down and down. Ending of episode did built intrigue, hopefully that is paid off well.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

My Hero Academia Season 2: This show is scratching the itch that no other superhero content has given me so far which is how someone actually trains up to be a superhero. Fantastic expansion of the world and characters so far.

8 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Ducktales Season 3: If you're a Disney fan lowkey this is one of the best animation shows from Disney in a while. A rare reboot done right.

prpCXZ1.gif

• Thanks 1

Coraline - A - 9 year old me had crippling nightmares from the mere mention of this movie, but when I got older and gave it a watch,  I loved it. Coraline is one of the best mainstream animated films and in my top favorite 50 animated films. It’s engaging, the animation is stunning and most importantly it’s scary for kids and adults. I also like the metaphors about an abusive relationship which is bolstered by the fact the Other Mother gaslights her victims, and changes her face and attitude once her facade is revealed.

The Owl House - B+ - Solid cartoon, not as great as some of Disney other animated shows (like Proud Family, P&F, Kim Possible or more recently Ducktales or Gravity Falls or Tangled) but it’s still damn great, filled with likeable characters and is just fun, also gave a great quality ship.

Clone High - A- - Still Lord & Miller’s best TV show. It’s hysterical.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

Movies:

The Haunting - 

I was pretty surprised by how creepy it was, especially considering how little was actually shown. Compared to modern-day horror films that fail to instill fear by showing nothing (for example, the 2020 film Relic), I found the horror in this to be very effective. A shot of a house has never creeped me out as much as the shots of Hill House did here (especially with that eerie music). I also loved the distorted shots, such as characters who are in the background looking like they're in the foreground, (I guess it's because they shot the movie in a wide angle lens?) that added to the uncomfortableness. I prefer Flanagan's very loose adaptation of the novel more than this but still really well done horror. 8/10

TV shows:

Ted Lasso - Really, really wonderful show. It loses its momentum a bit towards the end but it's optimism had me on the whole way through. One of my favs of the year.

Lovecraft Country Episode 6 and 7 - Two really great episodes. Episode 7 espescially is incredibly beautiful (feels very much like something out of a Lindelof show too) and deserves a couple of Emmys imo.

The Boys Season 2 Episode 7 - Easily the best episode of this season. The characters are finally starting to go through their arcs and there's some actual momentum here, that's been missing from the past three episodes.

Joe Pera Talks With You - Another quiet and lighthearted comedy that's just a wonderful time. I think anyone who liked Ted Lasso should check this out.

Lost (rewatch) - Just started season 2. 

Tried to get into some anime by watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and Tower of God. The former show has been good so far albeit pretty slow but the latter show makes no sense at all. 

• Like 3

Week 27

03-09 Oct 2020

Movies

1. The Royal Tenebaums: Among more liked Wes Anderson for me but still not the highs of his last four films. 7/10.

TV

1. The Boys S02: The finale struck the landing after a just good season 2. It got the stories sorted and a decent build up for S3. The Girls get it done. 8/10.
  • Like 1

Was scared that Flanagan would miss with The Haunting of Bly Manor but I loved it. Flanagan's style of horror always works for me. Some really bad accents though. And was really surreal to see Rahul Kohil (someone who I have only seen on Funhaus before) in a major TV show. More detailed thoughts later.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Was scared that Flanagan would miss with The Haunting of Bly Manor but I loved it. Flanagan's style of horror always works for me. Some really bad accents though. And was really surreal to see Rahul Kohil (someone who I have only seen on Funhaus before) in a major TV show. More detailed thoughts later.

Also lol, Greg Sestero has a cameo in this.

Watched Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet this week. Really good. Episode 5 is great. It’s a stand-alone episode with new characters that sets up the rest of the season. The final episode dovetails nicely into the Quarantine episode. 

This and Ted Lasso have been the real comedy surprises this year. 

• Like 1

Tenet. It's been over two weeks since I saw it and it has faded a bit i my mind. I still think it's mid-tier Nolan, which is still good Nolan. I'd like to watch it again and see how it all comes together.

Freaks. Definately lives up to the scandalous reputation so many decades later. In a way it's even more shocking to modern eyes. But even if you don't know about the missing half hour it's obvious that the movie is building and building and then just ends. I kinda hope against hope one day someone's grandson would stumble into a dusty reel of the missing footage.

Frozen II. Feels like the "we don't need no villains" Disney phase has already gotten old and kinda boring.

The Little Stranger. Surprisingly good. Slow burning gothic romance ghost story or something like it, it creeps up on you anyway.

The Front Runner. It has an interesting subject and an interesting angle about it, but it's just a flat what you see is what you get failed oscar bait movie in the end.

The Hustle. Another movie that I'm belatedly baffled it got trashed as hard as it did when it came out. It's fine.

Escape Room. It's both a cool and stupid idea to make a horror movie about escape rooms but it certainly has its moments. I can see it becoming a long running franchise.

rewatch.

Old classic Zemeckies stuff from the 80s that I have seen 100 times but  are still good and fun.

Spiderman into the spiderverse. My first take on this was that it was great and maybe a little too busy, but I was a giant idiot. This is a perfect object of a movie, people in ten years will look back on it and wonder how did this end up being so amazing. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, lorddemaxus said:

I can't tell if the au pair is doing a bad American accent or the kids are doing bad British accents but something is up

Finished The Boys Season 2 - it was again AWESOME, top to bottom, episode to episode, subplot to subplot...it all worked.  And what a finale!  Easily another "A" grade season:).

Don't binge it in one day - have an episode every few days and it will be so rewarding (I do admit to watching episodes 7 and 8 in back-to-back days b/c the end of episode 7 - I just couldn't wait:)...

• Like 1

Week 28

10-16 October 2020

Movies

1. A Death in Gunj: Nice little film from Bollywood. Heard a lot about it when it released, finally watched it, and it was good. 7/10.

TV

1. The Haunting of Hill House: This was suggested to me in past, but didn't really bothered. The bump due to sequel made me watch it, and it was good. The ending was bit different that what I thought show was building. It feels like elements of The Shining and Doctor Sleep clubbed in one with setting of a family, and that is a winner. 8/10.
  • Like 1