charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

New month, new rundown

April

The Last Temptation of Christ - 9/10

Easter Parade - 9/10

Rise of the Guardians - 7/10

The Ten Commandments - 7/10

Reservoir Dogs - 9/10

Nobody - 8/10

The Invisible Man (2020) - 7/10

Godzilla vs. Kong - 5/10

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (the perfect movie to watch after vaccination) - 9/10

Sound of Metal - 9/10

Rio - 7/10

Minari - 8/10

Promising Young Woman - 6/10

The Secret of NIMH (thank you Reese Witherspoon!) - 9/10

Father of the Bride (1950) - 6/10

Wanted to see more, but I really wanted to focus on getting to all the Best Picture nominees this year (ultimately didn't get to The Father. Maybe sometime this month), and I got distracted from some work-related stuff. So maybe May will be a bigger month for me.

On 4/29/2021 at 12:50 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Didn't watch much but watched some pretty good films over the past two weeks

unknown.png

Honestly I'm much more side-eying your Dirty Harry rating than anything else

Spoiler

It's a joke btw. Like what you like!

• Like 5

The Mark of Zorro - 9/10

Lady Vengeance - 8/10

Byzantium - 8/10

The Italian Job (1969) - 8/10

The Company of Wolves - 7/10

White Hunter, Black Heart - 9/10

Prevenge - 7/10

Sleuth - 10/10

The Collector - 8/10

Clockers - 7/10

The Devil Wears Prada - 8/10

Frenzy - 7/10

The Year of Living Dangerously - 7/10

The Others - 8/10

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - 9/10

• Like 2

April

Movies

1. Shin Godzilla - 7/10
  2. The Father - This was so fucking sad. Fuck Paris. They don't even speak English there. 8/10.
  3. Shiva Baby - 6/10
  4. Pink (Rewatch) - 8/10.
  5. Nobody - In film's own words,

"it's bit excessive, but glorious"
    "glorious my ass"

Odenkirk sells it though. 5/10

Movie of the Month - The Father

TV

1. The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - Worst thing MCU ever made. 0/10.
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

The way I forgot about this thread. Pandemic really took over me.

Anyways some recently watched shows/movies.

Mortal Kombat - 3/10 ( the acting is so bad , I couldn't finish it)

Shadow and Bones- 7.5/10 ( really entertaining show)

Invincible- 9.5/10 (loved it , highly recommend

Falcon and the Winter Soldier- 6/10 ( Yes, it has many fault but made me emotional at many points. )

Godzilla v Kong - 8.5/10 ( want more sequels)

• Like 2

The Mitchells vs the Machines (2021) - 9/10 - Thought this was great and the animation was top tier.

Love and Monsters (2020) - 8/10 - Really fun and upbeat movie. I liked the setting and characters alot so would love a sequel if they decide to make one.

Yasuke (2021) - 6/10 - Some cool ideas but everything felt rushed and all over the place. The voice acting was subpar too. Best part of the show was the music. 

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021) - 7.5/10 - Solid MCU show that touches on some timely topics but felt uneven and rushed. Definitely some memorable moments in it though.

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (2021) - 5/10 - Pretty disappointing. Some decent action but the military plot was boring and Michael B Jordan kinda just phoned it in.

• Like 3

April

Movies

Sound of Metal - 9/10 - So powerful, hit me in the feels. Riz Ahmed kills it. I love how it looks, how it's edited, how it's told. Sound design in fantastic. The film feels so raw. 

Palm Springs - 9/10 - Funniest film I've seen in a while. Warms your heart. Plot is fairly predictable but that doesn't matter. Leads are fantastic especially Milloti, wonderful chemistry. 

Cast Away - 9/10 

Nomadland - 8/10 - Very intimate, and understated. Really felt like it captured an essence of a lifestyle. Almost documentary like in how it's constructed at times; the anecdotal nature of it and the editing style. 

Heathers - 8/10 - Sharp, funny, fantastic premise. Winona Ryder is great in this.

Lego Movie 2 - 8/10

Love and Monsters - 7/10 - Sweet, charming, good acton, I like the leads. Nice little movie. 

Backdraft - 7/10 - Some cheesy dialogue, spectacular fire sequences. The practical work is outstanding. 

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - 6/10 - Great ending, rest of the film is kinda meh. Enjoyed the realistic elements and was quite funny at times. 

Re-Animator - 6/10 - Schlocky, gory fun.  

Without Remorse - 5/10 - Action set pieces were surprisingly quite good. The film works best when Jordan is being relentless. Unfortunately the majority of the film is really flat, stilted dialogue, generic plot, horrible sequel set-up. 

Godzilla vs Kong - 5/10 - Last hour is entertaining enough. Human side is awful. 

Mortal Kombat - 5/10 - Story/dialogue pretty bad. Editing/Pace pretty bad. Action with Scorpion and Sub Zero pretty damn good (bad for the rest), gore and finishers were great. Kano was hilarious, he's the only thing making the dialogue/plot scenes bearable.  

The Nun - 4/10 

The Losers - 3/10 - Action sucks, film tries hard to be edgy. Cast chemistry is good but not enough to save the film. 

TV 

Invincible S1 - 9/10 - Just incredible, go watch it. I enjoy the show even when it's not the main plot. But those last two episodes, oh man. Easily one of the best superhero shows out there. 

What We Do in the Shadows S2 - 9/10 - Still great. Matt Berry has been sent from heaven to bless us with his comedy. 

The Expanse S1 - 8/10 - Some characters are a little generic but love the scale of the plot. Has the interconnectedness of GOT.

Shadow and Bone S1 - 7/10 - Full of YA tropes but I was also pretty entertained by it. The cast is charismatic, the show moves at a really good pace and it makes use of it's budget unlike The Witcher. 

The Flight Attendant - 6/10 - Airport novel, throwaway type fun. I had fun with it. Kaley Cuoco is electric and I genuinely enjoyed some of the turns the story takes. 

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - 5/10 - The inconsistency of this show annoys me so much. The initial set-up for the main storylines is good, the show takes a huge nose dive in Ep.3, editing gets choppier. Action is choppy for the majority. Isiah Bradley scenes are incredible, Sams character arc lands, Walker was so interesting and compelling until the rushed redemption. Bucky gets sidelined. I found a majority of the banter and chemistry stilted. Mixed bag.

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 4

Invincible when it's good is fucking good. The whole finale is great and has me eager for more show. But when it's not good it's pretty blah. At least there's no character as annoying as Hughie in The Boys

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 2

Movies

Mortal kombat  6/10 :  awful dailogue and Cole is a boring protagonist. Decent action and some good gore and blood.

Pitch black  7/10

Chronicles of riddick 6/10

Riddick   6.5/10

Godzilla vs kong  7.5/10 : Good batshit crazy monster action which is all I needed from this film.

Godzilla 2014 7/10

Kong skull island  8/10

SERIES

Shadow and bone 7/10 : fascinating world but YA tropes drag this down for me. 

Continuum S1-S4  7/10 : Decent time travel show with meh first season and following seasons are better and a really good finale. Damn it's cheap and vfx is weak. It's a decent watch but can't recommend it.

Falcon and winter soldier 6/10

Invincible S1 9/10

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Yasuke (2021) - 6/10 - Some cool ideas but everything felt rushed and all over the place. The voice acting was subpar too. Best part of the show was the music. 

Yeah the show doesn't interest me but I love Flying Lotus' music. Been listening to the soundtrack all weekend

• Like 1

Finished Resident Alien. Really enjoyed the show. Everyone does a great job with their characters.   A

Without Remorse - Fairly decent action/thriller. Nothing I’d ever feel the need to rewatch though.   B-

Mortal Kombat!!!  Lol. It was ok. Dialogue and acting was pretty mediocre. Fight scenes were mostly good. The best ones were the first and last fights.   B-

Patiently waiting for Superman and Lois to come back on lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Finished Resident Alien. Really enjoyed the show. Everyone does a great job with their characters.   A

Without Remorse - Fairly decent action/thriller. Nothing I’d ever feel the need to rewatch though.   B-

Mortal Kombat!!!  Lol. It was ok. Dialogue and acting was pretty mediocre. Fight scenes were mostly good. The best ones were the first and last fights.   B-

Patiently waiting for Superman and Lois to come back on lol

As am I:)...a little more than 2 weeks to go!

• Like 1

April

Penny Serenade (1941) - 7/10

*Easter Parade (1948) - 8/10

Dragonwyck (1946) - 7/10

Somewhere in the Night (1946) - 6/10

Adam's Rib (1949) - 7/10. Thought I was watching a new favorite early on, between the unexpected rawness in Judy Holliday's performance and Hepburn and Tracy's amazingly (even accounting for their being together in real life) intimate, lived-in dynamic, but it semi-lost me along the way as it increasingly turned into a farce, with the court defense being based entirely on "it's okay for women to commit a crime in response to infidelity if men do it too" and the case then becoming more or less forgotten by the ending. Different Times Dept.: Tom Ewell's character outright admits to domestic violence on the witness stand, and it's never brought up again.

*Total Recall (1990) - 8/10. Big screen, which made a difference - I wasn't a big fan on my first viewing at home, where the action seemed one-note and the give-these-people-air climax too earnest and straightforward for Verhoeven (and I still think RoboCop and Starship Troopers make better use of his penchant for satire), but in the theater it's grand pulp entertainment that puts nearly every recent blockbuster to shame.

*All About Eve (1950) - 8/10

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951) - 6/10

*Red Beard (1965) - 8/10 (mostly for the second half)

The Lion in Winter (1968) - 5/10. This was 2+ hours of self-consciously florid speechifying that got me absolutely nowhere. Performances are vivid, which is not to say I ever particularly cared about these people; it is impressive how O'Toole can totally sell playing a 50-year-old at 35 through facial hair, a guttural voice and body language rather than makeup.

The Murder of Fred Hampton (1971) - feels weird to grade this, but it is both essential and doesn't exactly attempt being palatable, which is fair given its proximity to the titular tragedy. Does not blink when staring into the face of instutional evil.

Juggernaut (1974) - 9/10. This is a hidden gem that everyone should see, a Richard Lester-directed disaster thriller about an ocean liner rigged to explode by a bomber with a stacked cast playing both passengers and those attempting to foil him. A human-scaled antidote to puffed-up Hollywood blockbusters, infused with a sense of humor, healthy cynicism and rumpled, down-to-earth professionalism. Would be obvious that it's a huge influence on Soderbergh even if I didn't know that he wrote a book on Lester.

*The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - 9/10 [theatrical cut]. Cooling down a bit as I get older on overt fantasy/lore elements like spells and magic and "Behold!"-style pronouncements - then again I like the extended cut better, so maybe it's the matter of that stuff getting more space to breathe there - but it obviously still works like gangbusters as both a horror/chase movie and a rollicking epic adventure movie. Is there any blockbuster with more scenes of dudes weeping? That's not a complaint, I'll always treasure these movies' commitment to earnest emotion. 

Howards End (1992) - 7/10

The Remains of the Day (1993) - 8/10. A rare well-judged literary adaptation (though it doesn't reach the level of the novel, which is forgivable because the novel is exceptional), and probably Hopkins' best performance. Better than either of his Oscar-winning ones, anyway.

The Father (2020) - 7/10. Too gimmicky for me to get fully invested in, and I think I need a second viewing to either decide that the gimmick fundamentally doesn't work for me or accept it fully as an expression of the character's experience. All I know is, I'd likely be more affected if e.g. in the first scene where Olivia Williams shows up it was actually Colman again and we could see right there how much it hurts her to not be recognized. And so on. Only Imogen Poots' first scene and the ending really got through to me.

Gunda (2020) - 5/10. One highly emotional scene (you'll know it when you see it) and a whole lot of animals lying around, animals standing around and animals walking around, all in blandly aestheticized B&W. Not nearly as transporting as Microcosmos or the Sensory Ethnography Lab films like Leviathan as nature documentaries go.

Another Round (2020) - 6/10. Turns out alcohol can be both good and bad for you. Much to think about.

*Lady Bird (2017) - 8/10

*Phantom Thread (2017) - 8/10

*Toni Erdmann (2016) - 8/10. Feel like I could finally appreciate this now, watching it on a big screen with only one other person in the audience instead of cramming it into a late-December catch-up like I did in 2016. A film about the hard work of breaking through the surface of modern life and all it entails, which is why duration is important; on the whole, still a little too dry and uninflected for me to really love, but "The Greatest Love of All" had me laughing until I cried and Sandra Hüller's performance is one of my all-time favorites, the most full-bodied portrayal of the consequences of sacrifices made for professional success I can think of. Look forward to a third viewing.

The Square (2017) - 6/10

*The Third Man (1949) - 9/10

Judas and the Black Messiah (2021) - 6/10. Was really into this for the first half, drawn in by the craft (it's a pleasure just to watch a mid-budget drama like this that feels like a real movie rather than prestige TV), the Stanfield-Plemons dynamic and the expected fiery charisma Kaluuya brings to Hampton, but somewhere around the mid-point it just comes apart, no longer telling a focused story so much as dramatizing multiple related Wikipedia articles and not giving any of the characters their full due. The "onscreen text + real photos/footage of the subject" ending is particularly egregious in its length here.

*The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - 8/10 [theatrical cut; extended is a 9]

*Moonlight (2016) - 6/10. Would be lower if not for the cinematography and the third act. The rest is as simplistic and contrived as I remembered.

*Death Becomes Her (1992) - 6/10

*Speed (1994) - 7/10

*The Duellists (1977) - 8/10

• Like 3

Bad Trip. One of the most hilarious movies I 've seen in a while. It perfectly straddles the line between jackass and Borat  while at the same time having a very humanity affirming vibe. Amazing concept and execution.

Love and Monsters. Very cute post apocalyptic young adult kinda thing. The effects are weirdly impressive and I absolutely adore the dog.

Mitchell vs the Machines. Might not be as amazing as Spiderverse but it's pretty amazing on it's own right. I found it very funny and relentless with visual gags and it even had some geniune emotion. 

All on Netflix btw, pandemic doing the work for Ted Sarandos.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joel M said:

Bad Trip. One of the most hilarious movies I 've seen in a while. It perfectly straddles the line between jackass and Borat  while at the same time having a very humanity affirming vibe. Amazing concept and execution.

Yeah Bad Trip is really funny, definitely recommend if you like Jackass and Borat. Probably helped that I watched it drunk with some friends, made it a lot more fun. Tiffany Haddish was great.

I started watching Futurama this month and this is a hilarious show, but The Luck of the Fryish get really emotional in a way I didn't expect (Season 3 in general seems to be a bit more earnest than the first two seasons). Definitely didn't expect that.

• Like 3

May 2021

Movies

1. Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - With all the hype around it and coming off high from Demon Slayer series S01, this felt a bit underwhelming at first but giving it time I liked it. 7/10.

2. The Mitchells vs. The Machines - Tries too hard to be Pixar but humor's lame and emotions don't "connect". 2/10.

3. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things - This is the least fun I had in a time loop movie. It started really well, but kept going down the lifeless and boring way of things, with ending being just lame. 3/10.

4. The Squid and the Whale - This is one of the funniest film I seen recently. 8/10.

5. No Country for Old Men - The film did a good job in building the "face-off" for climax between the two characters, and then they just didn't do anything. This may be a genius work of sorts but felt job half done for me. Can see this not be a problem in repeat watch in future, let's see. 7/10.

6. Gran Torino - At start I thought this is some racist bitter old man but then there's sudden surprise change which feels like is there just for movie to happen and not earned or something. Seeing the ratings this has, def hasn't aged well. 6/10.

7. V for Vendetta - I was really liking it, just the ending didn't worked for me at all. Shame, I wanted to like it more. 6/10.

8. The Call - It gets hard to root for the lead when they do something impractical. Something I was thinking a lot during the 2nd half of it. Engaging thriller though. 6/10.

9. Sandeep aur Pinky Faraar - The most I liked about the film is introduction scene we got to the film. from there it was just what one would expect from "faraar" movie. 4/10.

10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 8/10.

11. Bruce Almighty - Not funny and waste a really good concept. 2/10.

12. Chaos Walking - I like Tom. I like Daisey. So I just watched it and I didn't dislike it, could have been done much much better. 4/10.

13. Wrath of Man - 8/10

14. One Hundred and One Dalmatians - First thing first, the animation is mighty impressive for 60s film even than 90s TLK, BaTB & Aladdin. Strong plot of parents finding their "dognapped" kids, with good humor. Surprised this isn't talked as high as the aforementioned three. 8/10.

15. FRIENDS: The Reunion - This was more like actors reunion and not the characters we know and love except for Joey. Joey was Joey. Even then everything with main cast was fun, everything else dragged, except Kit Harrington bit being better. An hour too long as well. 5/10.

16. True Grit - 6/10.

17. Cruella - It is a fun good movie in isolation but when you start thinking about it being prequel spin off to "101 Dalmatians" it just don't. Who asked for this? 5/10

TV

1. Demon Slayer - I liked it. I still am not into anime humor and action for most part but plot and characters are good enough to keep me engaged. 8/10

2. Parks and Recreation S1 - Probably due to lowering of expectations by seeing the IMDb rating for first season and hearing from others, I found it good enough, especially as it go forward. If I had gone with just 8.6/10 IMDb show in mind, probably would have felt a bit off. Show will improve per ratings from here on, so excited.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2