charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The real question is why Eric watched it. 

So last year I did an article for my school's online magazine where I reviewed a series of movies that earned a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. It was one of the four movies I picked out of a hat. I wanted to do more but I didn't have time. Although I guess that was probably a blessing in disguise. Either way...Bucky Larson was the best of all four movies I watched.

• Haha 2

Actually had a pretty busy movie day today!

I checked out Space Jam: A New Legacy on HBO Max this morning. I'm usually a big proponent of going and seeing these hybrid releases theatrically, but I opted to watch this one at home after seeing the weak reviews, and that was the right call. It's a busy, obnoxious mess that never really coheres.

Later, I went out and saw Pig. It's a really solid, understated character study with Nicolas Cage's best performance in ages.

And finally, I capped off the Fear Street trilogy. Overall, it was a pretty enjoyable set of movies. The storytelling is as broad as you'd expect from something adapted from R.L. Stine books, but the aesthetics in each of the films work, the characters and performances are solid, and the main romance is the kind of representation I'd love to see way more of in mainstream films.

Edited by Webslinger

Nobody (2021) - 8/10 - Enjoyed this alot. Fights and shootouts were great and some good comedy as well.

Wrath of Man (2021) - 8/10 - Great movie though not the usual from Guy Ritchie. No comedy or banter between the characters. Just a straight up thriller/heist/revenge flick with Statham as a cold blooded killer. 

Army of the Dead (2021) - 5/10 - A few good moments but overall just a mess. The plot makes no sense.

Bad Trip (2021) - 8/10 - This was hilarious and not meanspirited with the pranks either. 

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) - 7/10 - Solid enough with beautiful animation but alot of wasted potential too.

A Quiet Place Part 2 (2021) - 7/10 - Pretty good sequel with good performances by the cast and some tense moments. However a step down from the first. Just too many stupid decisions from the characters here.

Monster Hunter (2020) - 4/10 - The monster CGI was cool I guess. 

Boss Level (2021) - 7/10 - Fun little videogame/time loop type movie. 

Loki Season 1 (2021) - 8/10 - Favorite MCU Disney + show so far. Hiddleston and Owen Wilson were great as was the score. 

• Like 3

I rewatched AI: Artificial Intelligence as a belated 20-year anniversary thing (hadn’t seen it since 2009). I know Spielberg still has the clout to make whatever he wants and the film had some extra intrigue to it as one of Kubrick’s lost projects after his death a couple years earlier, but it’s still wild to me that a movie this dense and philosophical got such a huge budget and a midsummer release.

It’s still really good, despite some issues stemming from Spielberg tempering some of his usual impulses to make the film feel more Kubrickian.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cap said:

You’re not having a good week, I see. 

Back to watching good movies, back to having a good time. Watching The Family Man (really surprised how wonderful this movie ended up being), Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Peking Opera Blues, and Pig over the weekend made me forget I'd even seen these.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

I just completed the Romance/Adventure movie trifecta of: The African Queen, Romancing the Stone, and The Mummy (1999). All absolute bangers. 5/5 for all. 

• Like 1

July 2021

Movies

1. Kung Fu Panda 3 - 7/10
  2. Black Widow - Good first 2 act featuring "Family" and quite decent story leading into awful CGI action 3rd act. Marvel need to figure things ASAP, Phase IV is off to really bumpy start for me. 5/10.
  3. Bao - Revisited it after Turning Red trailer. I liked it way more than I remembered liking it. Excited for Turning Red.
  4. King Arthur: Legend of Sword - the part Guy Ritchie film it is, is entertaining, drags when its not. 5/10.
  5. Final Destination 4 - 5/10
  6. Mimi - It is story of American couple coming to India for finding a surrogate mother. Why? No reason. They found a girl, but then for some reason as told in movie, they ran away leaving the girl (lead of film) with 7-9 month pregnant. A really good concept wasted on making the film commercially viable as a comedy. The biggest problem of film is the tension and drama are underplayed, not building the emotional connection, due to, once again, for making it a comedy. If I were to make this film, I will make it a 2-parter. The 2nd and 3rd act of film are hurried up to make it in one film, when 3rd act can potentially be a sequel. 5/10.
  7. Jungle Cruise - Jungle Cruise is boring and worst of all looks hideous visually. 2/10.

Movie of the Month - Kung Fu Panda 3

TV

1. Modern Family S2-S11 - I binged almost entirety of show post my exams. It was a really great experience seeing a family grow and majority part of show is great too. I got teared when it ended. The biggest problem of show was they ran off stories after S6, getting really repetitive. In case of Cam-Mitch, the problem hit early in the show, their story in almost every episode being Cam throws a tantrum, they fight a bit and get together by end of episode and repeat. The kids storyline took a big hit after S7. Phil and Claire remain good throughout the show. That's my 2nd favourite sitcom couple after Jim and Pam now. 8/10.
  2. Veep S101-S105 - This is good but not too interesting so far. Will check it back soon.
  3. Mare of Easttown - I am really bad at praising. This is great. 9/10.
  4. Rick and Morty S5 - This is the worst season. After E1, which was one of the best, every episode is just bleh.
  5. Loki - Check Loki thread. 6/10.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Rick and Morty S5 - This is the worst season. After E1, which was one of the best, every episode is just bleh.

Yeah, it's straight up awful now. Don't know what happened.

• Like 1

I stopped watching Rick and Morty after Season 2. My friends are still into it for some reason. I watched the Planetina episode from the new season with them and I couldn't even finish it (they had a pretty muted response too so don't get why they keep watching).

Edited by lorddemaxus

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I stopped watching Rick and Morty after Season 2. My friends are still into it for some reason. I watched the Planetina episode from the new season with them and I couldn't even finish it (they had a pretty muted response too so don't get why they keep watching).

S3 and S4 are awesome.

• Like 2

JULY

Movies

The French Connection - 10/10 - What a film, it’s like a precursor to everything The Wire is or does. So much detail and realism in every frame. 

Road to Perdition - 9/10 - Every performance is incredible in this, Mendes shows so much restraint, stunning imagery. 

The Sting - 9/10 

The Favourite - 8.5/10 

Stardust - 8.5/10 - What a joy! the wonder, the magic, the humour. Wish Claire Danes was a bit less of a damsel but that’s about it. 

The Producers - 8.5/10

The Suicide Squad - 8.5/10 

Ghost - 8/10 - Everything you want. Romantic, funny, sleazy bad guys and a surprising amount of world-building. 

The Lost Boys - 8/10

The Color of Money - 8/10 - I went in expecting a two hander but this really is Newman’s film. He owns it and I wish I’d watched the first one before. 

Good Boys - 8/10

Freaky - 8/10 

Blazing Saddles - 7.5/10

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - 7.5/10

The Edge - 7/10 - Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin fight a bear in-camera, what more do you need! Solid Goldsmith score.

Black Widow - 7/10

Fear Street 1978 - 6.5/10 

Sleeping With the Enemy - 6/10 - Julia Roberts is great, love the resolution, would have cut the boyfriend character but it’s the 90’s I guess. 

Guns Akimbo - 6/10 - This almost reaches Crank levels of insane fun, it’s like it needed to be cheaper. 

The Tomorrow War - 6/10 - If I’d paid to see this film in a cinema it would probably be lower but it’ll keep you busy on a lazy Sunday. 

Young Guns - 6/10 

Jungle Cruise - 6/10

Fear Street 1994 - 5/10 

Fear Street 1666 - 3/10 - The Fear Street series overall didn’t really click for me, it kept falling flat and the characters were so uncharismatic and unlikable in the present day. The first hour of this one is rough, horrendous acting. 

TV

Loki - 8/10 What I've been looking for from the MCU shows. 

Godzilla Singular Point - 3/10 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Got to admit, S5 has fallen almost completely flat for me. The giant sperm episode was just awful, I didn’t laugh once, and the worst thing is that they basically repeated the exact same concept in the latest episode with the turkeys. Long gone are the episodes where you’d actually feel something for the characters (remember Rick trying to kill himself but falling asleep before he could do it?), now they’re all caricatures that seem to reset at the end of each episode. I’ll keep watching it for now, but the decline has definitely set in.

• Like 1