charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Hi Score Girl Anime: High Matinee

This is a great anime for those that are interested in gaming history. The love story is adorable. Its short. And I like the Characters. Give it a watch on Netflix

Next up: Devs.

• Like 1

Movies: 

The Rhyhm Section - 4/10

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (Tony Scott remake) - 9/10

Just Mercy - 5/10

Unforgiven - 10/10

The Evil Dead - 8/10

The Way Back - 7/10

A Little Princess - 8/10 (maybe a 7/10, as much as I loved most of the film, the way it uses an Indian character in the movie seriously irked me)

Howl's Moving Castle - 8/10

Vivarium - 3/10

Spiceworld: The Movie - 9/10

Say Anything - 6/10

The Philadelphia Story - 7/10

Unstoppable - 9/10

TV shows:

Community - watched two episodes of it.

Mrs America - watched the first episode. Nothing much to say now but with this and Westworld, I think James Marsden is much better on TV shows than movies. I hope he acts as more charismatic assholes too (like he does here) rather than charismatic good guys.

Games:

The Evil Within - Played about an hour of it. Pretty clearly inspired by the RE games (same director as RE 1 and 4) but I think the game is also a bit too linear for a J-horror game. I heard the sequel has more of an open world and more backtracking similar to the RE games.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Hi Score Girl Anime: High Matinee

This is a great anime for those that are interested in gaming history. The love story is adorable. Its short. And I like the Characters. Give it a watch on Netflix

Next up: Devs.

I see you’re a man of culture as well.

• Like 1

everything since my last post here:

movies:

The Lavender Hill Mob (1952) - 8/10

Red Sorghum (1987) - 8/10

Escape From Alcatraz (1979) - 7/10

I Wish (2011) - 8/10

Sexy Beast (2001) - 7/10

Bumblebee (2018) - 4/10

A Fish Called Wanda (1988) - 8/10

The Robe (1953) - 5/10

Best of the week: I Wish. I've seen Kore-eda compared to Ozu a lot but I've personally never really seen it in the previous Kore-eda films I'd seen. But this one gave me super Good Morning vibes. Like his best work it's very sweet but with an underlying sense of sadness to it. adorable ensemble of kids.

Worst of the week: Bumblebee. yawn. blandest slop i've seen come from the blockbuster machine in quite some time. nothing remarkable here, nothing about it added anything to my life. 80s nostalgia shit like bumblebee doing the breakfast club fist is poison to me. John Cena was kinda funny i guess. bring back Bay. 

tv:

Better Call Saul. Caught up with season 5 since the finale's coming in a couple days. this show doesn't miss. good shit. the guy who plays Lalo is incredible. i hope he stays booked and busy after this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Movies:

Love Wedding Repeat - 2/5 - Nobody could have foreseen this but turns out that this thing is pretty bad.

Howl's Moving Castle - 4/5 - Pretty good. Been working through the Ghibli stuff as it gets added to Netflix and I've been enjoying most of them.

TV:

What We Do in the Shadows is back. Strong start to season 2; one of the funniest shows on air right now.

Started watching Seven Worlds, One Planet. Can never go wrong with a BBC/Attenborough joint. A lot of incredible shots in the first couple of episodes. The people behind these shows get better and better with their drone footage every year.

Books:

Annals of the Former World by John McPhee - 5/5 - Finished it! Terrific book. Rising from the Plains was my favourite book-within-the-book and has made me really wanna go to Wyoming.

Kakapo: Rescued from the Brink of Extinction by Alison Ballance - 4/5 - Nice little book on kakapo (very endangered NZ parrot). Lots of lovely photos and some cool insights into how the breeding program came into fruition and its subsequent challenges and successes up to 2009. Would love a sequel with how well the most recent breeding season went for the kakapo (which was their biggest yet).

tenor.gif?itemid=5800467

Currently reading The Invention of Nature: Alexander Von Humboldt's New World by Andrea Wulf. It's about Alexander Von Humboldt. Very interesting guy who was way ahead of his time. Been enjoying the book a lot so far.

• Like 2

Oh damn totally forgot What We Do In The Shadows Season 2 has started. Gonna see if it's somewhere available to watch. Anyhow nearly up to date with Brooklyn Nine-Nine and I'll be finally starting The Office as my next new show. Still rewatching Season 1 of Arrested Development and will probably rewatch Star Wars Rebels once The Clone Wars finally ends.

Also developed a very unhealthy obsession with old episodes of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Just watched the episode with Amy's Baking Company.

Yikes is all I have to say about that.

• Like 1

Been using up my Disney+ subscription well Hoping to try and watch a lot o.

Simpsons Season 1 - I remember it being pretty unique and having a lot of early installment weirdness, but it really is kind of night and day from the other seasons. And tbh, I kinda feel like I kind of miss some of the chill, subtler stuff in this one.

Snow White - It's that rare but special kind of movie that's legit well-made, but also very fun to riff and make fun of.

Pinocchio - It's just like Snow White. Fun to riff on, but also so well-done and imaginative. Jiminy's a much bigger pervert than I remember tho 😕

• Like 1

Just finished bingeing Barry. Loved it, but man, I was unprepared for how dark they went in Season 2. I'm very much looking forward to what's next when the show eventually resumes.

I also caught the first few episodes of Mrs. America. Really good stuff.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2020 at 10:29 AM, Plain Old Tele said:

I'm emphasizing the important part of your post.

For me, the last few weeks:

Death of Stalin -- bleak as shit but very funny

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters -- maybe Paul Schrader's best? stunning use of color and stylized moments, wonderful direction

Senna -- I don't know anything about F1 racing but this was wonderful (a touch hagiographic, perhaps?)

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night -- Man, so great. Almost nothing but style, but what style

The Hunger -- hadn't seen this in forever. It's visually pretty but otherwise mostly shit.

Four Lions -- I mentioned this elsewhere but it's very funny

Lady Bird -- 'twas good

In Transit -- the choice to update a 1940s story to contemporary Europe is very effective

Until the End of the World (DC) -- fantastic, though at 4:47 it's not exactly tautly paced. But so great in so many little unexpected ways

Ladybird...I got a kick out of it since I live in Sacramento....I am very familair with every damn location in the film, and the J street Bridge..the one that she drives over at the end...I drive over on my way to work every day.

Wierd..quite a few movies are shot in Sacramento..because it sort of resembles the classic "every Medium Size City USA"but few are actually set here.

• Like 1

I was in a nasty mood, so I watched one of my nasty mood movies..."The Wild Bunch". Still Peckinpah's masterpiece and still one of the best Westerns ever made.

And it still has the best director's credit..it flashed on the screen just as Bill Holden utters the film's most famous line:"If they move,kill them",.

• Like 1

I haven't watched that much in the past few weeks due to online school but these are some of the films I've watched since my quarantine has started (beginning on March 13th):

(Italics are re-watches)

Goodfellas - A+

The Social Network - A+

Catch Me If You Can - A+

Silence - A+

Her - A+

Memento - A

Nightcrawler - A

Brokeback Mountain - A- 

There Will Be Blood - A-

Bram Stoker's Dracula - B+

The Invisible Man - B+

Like Someone in Love - B+

Grumpy Old Men - B+

Onward - B

Step Brothers - B

The Ring - B-

Space Jam - B- 

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - C+

Pocahontas - C

The Bling Ring - D+

The Cat in the Hat - F

The Bye Bye Man - F

• Like 4

On 4/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, The Panda said:

Finished Westworld Season 1, not sure what’s the point of watching Season 2, that felt like a complete story to me

Season 2 explores quite a bit more about the real world too and the lives of characters like William outside the park. Also Season 1 doesn't really resolve Maeve's arc (which Season 2 continues beautifully). The Maeve and William stuff (and to a lesser extent, Teddy's arc) in Season 2 is what makes it good imo. The Delores and Bernard stories are just boring and needlessly complex on the other hand.

Edited by lorddemaxus