cannastop

Cannastop's review corner Y7

July Year 7:

LOONEY TUNES: THE CLASSICS REMASTERED: JK Simmons is a welcome addition to this collection of previously released Looney Tunes shorts. (4/5)

The Exchange: A comedy about a foreign exchange student who comes to America. Not a lot of laughs or anything else entertaining happen. (2.5/5)

Out on the Lake: A dead teenager movie except about thirty somethings. Has elements that shamelessly rip off Friday the 13th. (2.5/5)

Scout's Honor: A routine family comedy about boy scouts and girl scout campers who pull pranks on each other. (3/5)

Scooby-Doo: Cult of the Creeper: An inappropriate use of the Scooby Doo likeness for this horror comedy. It's not satirical as much as someone who's impressed by adding violence and swearing to kid's cartoons. It's also melodramatic and slow at times. Knowing these characters from other media, I was incredulous at some choices. (2.0/5)

Attack on Titan: A gruesome and bombastic adaption of the manga that will satisfy action and anime fans. A rollicking adventure for those with strong stomachs. (4.5/5)

Edited by cannastop
  • Thanks 3
  • ...wtf 1

August Year 7:

Roman Fever: A charming adaption of Edith Wharton's story. Beautiful. (5/5)

The Long Way Home: This sci-fi film lives up to its name as it takes a long time to get anywhere, and it doesn't go very far. (3/5)

Loving a Shadow: A charming family movie about a cat. (3.5/5)

Tongues: An awkward movie about awkward people. Religiously themed, which adds to its awkwardness. And yet it is authentic, at least to its male protagonist, and one of the most powerful movies of the year. (4.5/5)

The Perfect Life: A routine thriller, but I'm so new to this genre that the reveal mildly surprised me. (3.5/5)

Snakes: My kids didn't like this one though. (3/5)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

September Year 7

3:32 AM: This is a really dumb story to try with the found footage gimmick. Might not have worked as a conventional movie either. (3/5)

The First Month: 30 short films about an apocalyptic military fantasy. (3.5/5)

Banjo-Kazooie: An exciting animated adventure, although the songs stop the plot and don't seem to advance much. (4/5)

Dawn of the Last Six: The budget is alarming for a September film. I have not seen the first movie, so maybe my perspective is unjustified. But the beginning is rather gory, and the plot seems more unnecessarily complicated than a Star Wars Prequel movie. My eyes glazed, I'm sorry. (2/5)

Fish Fry: A true inspiration to us all in these troubled times. I should open a restaurant too. (4/5)

Laika: An well written drama about the first living organism sent into space. It takes a bit long to get to the space program but it's so impeccably written I'll give it a pass. (5/5)

TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER: A charming adaption of the skateboarding video game that is great for family audiences. Has extraordinary stunts and effects. (4/5)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

October Year 7:

Countdown City: This adaption of the Ben H. Winters novel spins a good yarn and sets audiences up for the sequel. (4/5)

Broadway Selects: Beetlejuice: An entertaining adaption of the stage musical with a plot that differs from the original film by Tim Burton. (4/5)

The Layover: A charming romantic comedy that will entertain couples. (4/5)

Megalo Box: An entertaining adaption of the boxing anime, but I don't understand why it ends the way it does. (4/5)

Adult Swim Bomb Scare Non-Fiction Documentary for Theaters: An informative documentary about a marketing campaign gone wrong. (4/5)

THE TURKEY SQUAD: As someone who loves culinary youtube videos, I loved a movie that gives them their due. (4/5)

Toons V Reality: A creative mock courtroom drama that shows a love for cartoons from a fan's perspective. (4/5)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

November, Year 7

Ms. Blakk 4 President: An excellent adaption of the play about a real life story of the first drag queen to run for president. (4.5/5)

American Barbeque: There is a scene in this drama that made me fall out of my chair laughing. I won't spoil it for you. (4/5)

Notorious: This 21st century adaption of the 1940s Hitchcock film is a bit more long winded than the original. (4/5)

Tower of Babylon: A cinematic event, to be sure, but rather dense and it might alienate casual audiences. (4/5)

Red Flavour: The first k-pop documentary I've seen. (4/5)

Birdwing: A moving animated fantasy movie adapted from the children's book by Rafe Martin. The songs add nothing, though (4/5)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

December Year 7:

The Written Word: A conventional biopic about the maker of North America's first printing press. (3.5/5)

Wii Play: Brainless adaption of a collection of mini-games from Nintendo. (2/5)

THE GIFT OF LIFE: I was moved. It's not the only Indonesian Tsunami movie out there, but it might be the best. (5/5)

GREEN LANTERN CORPS: HOME: This very long and plot heavy super hero movie deals with racism but then seems to lose its way at the end. Be sure to sit through all the credits. (3.5/5)

Until Dawn: I know what you did last winter. A trashy horror movie that expects the audience to find Ouija boards creepy by themselves. It still has an interesting conclusion, though the last few minutes didn't satisfy me. (4/5)

Temple Run: An adventure film that celebrates destruction of artifacts? Also seems to hint at a sequel. (3/5)

The Ends of the Universe: Is this some Avatar/Dances with Wolves type thing? Not sure what to make of this. (3.5/5)

Making Waves 2: I didn't see the original but this surfing drama is perfect for families with older children. Children will learn ethics from this movie. (4/5)

The Disappointment: The tone of this movie is set when a grown man starts a food fight at a McDonald's. Sure to go down like The Room or Birdemic. (1/5)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Top 25 of year 7:

1. Hilda and the Midnight Giant
  2. Laika
  3. Roman Fever
  4. Ms. Blakk 4 President
  5. Tongues
  6. Attack on Titan
  7. Beyblade: The War Unleashed - Let Them Rip!
  8. Banjo-Kazooie
  9. Notorious
  10. VIXEN AND THE FLAMING FEATHER
  11. Should You Imagine
  12. Pillars of Eternity: An Ancient Legacy
  13. Monster Bug Wars
  14. Call of Duty: Eye of the Storm
  15. Yang
  16. Looping
  17. Countdown City
  18. Megalo Box
  19. Toons Vs. Reality