cannastop

Cannastop's review corner Y7

Snow Leopards: An entertaining documentary that my kids didn't complain about afterwards. (4/5)

Snakes: My kids didn't like this one though. (3/5)

Dazzling: The part where she tells the audience to vote Bernie Sanders in the primaries might date it a bit. I kid. Nice concert documentary. (3.5/5)

Dawn of the Last Six: The budget is alarming for a September film, but that is not my duty as a critic. I have not seen the first movie, so maybe my perspective is unjustified. But the beginning is rather gory, and the plot seems more unnecessarily complicated than a Star Wars Prequel movie. My eyes glazed, I'm sorry. (2/5)

LOONEY TUNES: THE CLASSICS REMASTERED:  Excellent choice of cartoons, but is 3D neccessary? JK Simmons is an inspired choice, though. (4/5)

THE GIFT OF LIFE: I was moved. It's not the only Indonesian Tsunami movie out there, but it might be the best. (5/5)

Flying High: Yeah I like Owl City. Deal with it. (4/5)

Hoops 3: I love a good sports drama, especially one where LeBron James has to play someone down on his luck. (4/5)

Father Knows Worst: Excellent family comedy. Harriet was hilarious, wish I saw more of her. (4/5)

THE TURKEY SQUAD: As someone who loves culinary youtube videos, I loved a movie that gives them their due. (4/5)

VIXEN AND THE FLAMING FEATHER: A great fantasy adventure full of family drama. Great for children. (4/5)

Making Waves 2: I didn't see the original but this surfing drama is perfect for families with older children. Children will learn ethics from this movie. (4/5)

the disappointment: The tone of this movie is set when a grown man starts a food fight at a McDonald's. Sure to go down like The Room or Birdemic. (1/5)

Red Flavour: The first k-pop documentary I've seen. (4/5)

MONSTER BUG WARS: An excellent and moving action film where we find out that the real monsters are scientists all along. (5/5)

Fish Fry:  A true inspiration to us all in these troubled times. I should open a restaurant too. (4/5)

American Barbeque: There is a scene in this drama that made me fall out of my chair laughing. I won't spoil it for you. (4/5)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

January Year 7:

VIXEN AND THE FLAMING FEATHER: A great fantasy adventure full of family drama. Great for children. (4/5)

Father Knows Worst: Excellent family comedy. Harriet was hilarious, wish I saw more of her. (4/5)

Outside the Law: A murky cop and robbers drama with suspicious morals. And an implausible plot meant to be taken seriously. (3/5)

Finders Keepers: A movie that is reminiscent of Outside the Law but this time I think it's supposed to be a comedy. (4/5)

Hypercompetency: The premise of having infinite time to sleep would make for an interesting short film, not a sci-fi epic. (3/5)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

February Year 7:

Broadway Selects: Burn This: a competent film version of the play. (3/5)

Love after Loving: This drama has many twists, but disturbing content might derail the experience for some viewers. (4/5)

Starlight: An animated sci-fi epic with too much plot. (3/5)

Carver: This religiously themed biopic of Carver will entertain and inform audiences. (4/5)

Plastic-Man: A superhero movie that takes a bit long to get to the superhero part, but the "Sodo-Bronx" is a nice parody of real estate lingo. (3.5/5)

Conventionally Wiser: An amusing action movie, which while rated R, seems to have a high school level of romance in it. (4/5)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

March year 7

In the Doghouse: A family drama with an odd conclusion. (3.5/5)

Higher Ground: The thought of a tsunami in the Mediterranean sea provides some laughs but this movie wants to be taken seriously. Some disturbing scenes and supernatural events occur. (3/5)

Dazzling: I hope this wins the best song Oscar. (3/5)

Pillars of Eternity: An Ancient Legacy: A moving fantasy with much on its plate. (4/5)

The Last Fifer: Portrait of a Clarinetist: A moving documentary that examines a musical man and his family. (5/5)

Hoops 3: I love a good sports drama, especially one where LeBron James has to play someone down on his luck. (4/5)

Beyblade: The War Unleashed - Let Them Rip!: Good campy fun, and a good re-imagining of the anime franchise. An admirable protagonist too. (5/5)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

April Year 7

Father II: The Resurrection: A riveting horror action movie with a lot of camp in it. Excellent use of Mother Teresa. (4.5/5)

Hilda and the Midnight Giant: Excellent stylized animation in this movie. There is perhaps a bit too much exposition in the dialogue in the middle, but this is a masterpiece. (5/5)

Snow Leopards: An entertaining documentary that my kids didn't complain about afterwards. (4/5)

Vengeance: A murky action movie. Set in a Japan painted with the broadest strokes possible. (3/5)

Looping: A moving twist on a Groundhog Day style plot. (4/5)

MONSTER BUG WARS: An excellent and moving action film where we find out that the real monsters are scientists all along. (5/5)

I'll Always Be There: A melodramatic romantic drama that might be topical. (3.5/5)

Whoopsie-Daisy: A rather odd comedy with childish humor for a PG-13 movie. (2.5/5)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

May Year 7:

Dual Consequences: An action movie that commits the worst sin: Being boring. (1.5/5)

Sir Thymes Time 2: A musical ripoff of Wreck-It Ralph. (1.5/5)

Cruis'n USA: A refreshing racing film that almost feels like a documentary. (3.5/5)

Fatal Attraction: A ludicrous adaption of the original movieHearing the words "Marijuana addiction" took me out of it for the rest of the time. (2.5/5)

Call of Duty: Eye of the Storm: An enthralling war thriller that is sure to capture audiences across the nation. (5/5)

Flying High: Yeah I like Owl City. Deal with it. (4/5)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 2

June Year 7:

ADAM & CINDY: A decent family movie about two dogs that find each other. (3.5/5)

The Final Cut: A jarring horror movie involving an evil film producer. (4.5/5)

Yang: A rather odd mystery about people in the jungle in India. (4/5)

THE SCAVENGER WARS PART III: A sweeping sci-fi adventure, although all uses of profanity in the dialogue have the impression of preteens who just learned those words. (4/5)

Dear Evan Hansen: A great adaption of the musical. Great performances all around. (4.5/5)

Hearts of Fire: A melodramatic movie involving arson and murder. (3.5/5)

Should You Imagine?: Lives up to its name in being imaginative. Spends a bit too much time on the more pastoral scenes at the beginning. (4/5)

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2