DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

This a thread to primarily discuss the reopening of movie theatres. How that might happen. What are the mechanics? What films will be released?

Let me know if there’s a similar thread somewhere. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My ‘idea’ about mechanics in another way:

checking inhowfar the air conditioning system might need an complete rethink about their systematic build plans for especially cinemas.

Like if there is a possibility to move seats more spread out, include long air duct tubes under and above all seats, directional air outlets per seat, that not only give fresh air, but also help to direct the air the customer will breath out, and above the heads the accompanying intakes per customer. 

Seats need probably another kind of fabrics, wipeable, probably on the costs of being less comfortable.

Arm rests on both sides, with a non removable shield between seats, material also simple to clean

Not using Plexiglass for it, that material is not the best reacting to the usual surface disinfecting products   

Seats grouped to 2 and solo only

Times spread enough to allow not only to disinfect, but also to allow a complete exchange of the air before the cleaners go in tho room and after they are finished, to get the ethanol and biocides parts out of the air

Only saved seats, maybe add something like that for the head area? 💺 

Ticket controls per room, and in the cinema

WC with automatic cleaning (door handles?) and/or a cleaning person there? As such way more WCs needed.

Floor plans redirected, no contact possible between arriving and departing customers, wide floors with tows or.. in between, so people go at max in pairs (wheelchair friendly)

The most of those ideas need major rebuilds or are more suited for new to build buildings, its only about how I’d try to do it, but if I’d really sit down, I think there are 1000s of little ideas or necessities to more think about.

edit: masks... ignored, as that is a per customer requirement, not sure how that would influence the enjoyment

Edited by terrestrial

https://deadline.com/2020/04/cinemark-re-opening-coronavirus-1202908960/

Figuring that the COVID-19 crisis will calm by the summer, Cinemark CFO and COO Sean Gamble today told investors and financial analysts in a special conference call today that the chain is looking to “ramp up” by July 1 with employees coming back roughly two weeks prior in late June. That said, openings could be “state by state, county by county” per Gamble “scaled by demand” with possible reduced hours and days of the week.

That said Gamble cautioned that it could take three months before the circuit is experiencing normal levels of business.

“We won’t be everything back day 1, but dip our toe approach,” said Gamble.

Cinemark CEO and Board Director Mark Zoradi added there will be two weeks of “showing library product, high profile library product” as the chain expects a slow ramp of attendance. The big blast off anticipated here is the weekend of July 17-19 which is where Warner Bros. Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is blasting off.

Gamble said that profitability for the circuit can be achieved “on occupancy levels of 20% to 30%”, so should social distancing local ordinances be in effect, “we can execute that successfully and profitability.”

“Our lowest attended month had occupancy levels of 10% and we still operated profitability,” said Gamble.

The late June period will be used to begin marketing again to consumers, particularly the chain’s 12M addressable consumers.

In regards to ticket pricing in the face of safety local and state ordinances that could be in place, Zoradi said “we’ll charge less when we start to get people back with high profile library product. We’ll be able to make deals with studio partners prior to the big tentpoles coming.”

“I don’t anticipate we’ll charge more for tentpole pictures,” said the Cinemark boss, should social distancing guidelines be enforced.

Zoradi also emphasized that given how 60% of the chain’s auditoriums have recliners, there’s already a degree of social distancing in place at the chain. He envisioned two possibilities in regards to spacing moviegoers, in which Cinemark would sell every other seat, or suspend reserved seating for a period of time, selling only 50% of the seats.

Asked about how anxious the majors are for theaters to re-open, and the whole issue of some big pics like Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s Trolls World Tour going to PVOD, Zoradi said that with theatrical repping 54% of movie’s revenues, studios are “very anxious” like exhibition to return to form. Most of the majors have delayed their big pics, and Zoradi didn’t seem to be threatened by Uni’s decision to take Trolls World Tour into homes.

“Universal came out very clearly and made the decision when we were closing our theaters. They felt like they spent so much in marketing money and putting commitments like McDonald’s, that they had no choice. We don’t see any systemic change from all major studios when it comes to their major motion pictures because theatrical is so important to them.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can see theatres running catalogue films, maybe only open Wednesday to Sunday and only 1pm to midnight with every second seat unavailable. 

• Like 3

A big issue I see is minimum sales necessary for profitability. While the above thing mentions the 20-30% for Cinemark, that's likely before assuming that they have to cut down available seats by half. Which means that of their capacity, they need to sell 40-60%. Which may not be possible if people are gun-shy about going to theaters and other public areas.

Plus, is every second seat enough of a cut for social distancing? Definitely not for many theaters, so they'd have to cut more. And then there's questions about how easily people can move. Attempts to remain 6ft from all people isn't possible in a movie row. What if someone has to get up to go to the bathroom? They pass several people, often within 1 foot, which kind of makes distancing attempts moot.

• Like 1

Cinemark CEO and Board Director Mark Zoradi added there will be two weeks of “showing library product, high profile library product 

Thats a nice way of saying New Mutants. 

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

This is an image of the seat availability from a screening on 19 March in Australia just before the theatres closed. 

FI35q8S.jpg

• Like 2

Don't open them until there is a vaccine. No point in doing it otherwise. Just imagine Disney releasing Mulan in theaters to a puny 20M OW or whatever when it can pull an easy 150M+ on OW on VOD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

15 hours ago, CJohn said:

Don't open them until there is a vaccine. No point in doing it otherwise. Just imagine Disney releasing Mulan in theaters to a puny 20M OW or whatever when it can pull an easy 150M+ on OW on VOD.

Disney is yet to dip its toes into the premium rental pool like Universal though.

Ultimately, Tenet and Mulan still opening in July are concessions by WB and Disney to cinema owners, even if box office is puny. Otherwise until WW84 (unless that moves too) AQP2 and Bond (as they're the only completed films) there's nothing.

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Disney is yet to dip its toes into the premium rental pool like Universal though.

Ultimately, Tenet and Mulan still opening in July are concessions by WB and Disney to cinema owners, even if box office is puny. Otherwise until WW84 (unless that moves too) AQP2 and Bond (as they're the only completed films) there's nothing.

Tenet's less likely to open in July than Mulan, if only because the latter completed its marketing push already 

39 minutes ago, TMP said:

Tenet's less likely to open in July than Mulan, if only because the latter completed its marketing push already 

I could see Tenet moving to middle of October so that way it can have the PLF formats until Black Widow and to give it proper a marketing push, even if a lot of the usual press tour stuff (like a big Hollywood premiere) won't happen unless they move it to next year.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I could see Tenet moving to middle of October so that way it can have the PLF formats until Black Widow and to give it proper a marketing push, even if a lot of the usual press tour stuff (like a big Hollywood premiere) won't happen unless they move it to next year.

It could open first weekend of October. Doubt Venom's done in time.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:57 PM, ElsaRoc said:

A big issue I see is minimum sales necessary for profitability. While the above thing mentions the 20-30% for Cinemark, that's likely before assuming that they have to cut down available seats by half. Which means that of their capacity, they need to sell 40-60%. Which may not be possible if people are gun-shy about going to theaters and other public areas.

Plus, is every second seat enough of a cut for social distancing? Definitely not for many theaters, so they'd have to cut more. And then there's questions about how easily people can move. Attempts to remain 6ft from all people isn't possible in a movie row. What if someone has to get up to go to the bathroom? They pass several people, often within 1 foot, which kind of makes distancing attempts moot.

The theatre I was at could run as "profitable" with 7% weekly capacity

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2020 at 8:22 AM, terrestrial said:

My ‘idea’ about mechanics in another way:

checking inhowfar the air conditioning system might need an complete rethink about their systematic build plans for especially cinemas.

Like if there is a possibility to move seats more spread out, include long air duct tubes under and above all seats, directional air outlets per seat, that not only give fresh air, but also help to direct the air the customer will breath out, and above the heads the accompanying intakes per customer. 

Seats need probably another kind of fabrics, wipeable, probably on the costs of being less comfortable.

Arm rests on both sides, with a non removable shield between seats, material also simple to clean

Not using Plexiglass for it, that material is not the best reacting to the usual surface disinfecting products   

Seats grouped to 2 and solo only

Times spread enough to allow not only to disinfect, but also to allow a complete exchange of the air before the cleaners go in tho room and after they are finished, to get the ethanol and biocides parts out of the air

Only saved seats, maybe add something like that for the head area? 💺 

Ticket controls per room, and in the cinema

WC with automatic cleaning (door handles?) and/or a cleaning person there? As such way more WCs needed.

Floor plans redirected, no contact possible between arriving and departing customers, wide floors with tows or.. in between, so people go at max in pairs (wheelchair friendly)

The most of those ideas need major rebuilds or are more suited for new to build buildings, its only about how I’d try to do it, but if I’d really sit down, I think there are 1000s of little ideas or necessities to more think about.

edit: masks... ignored, as that is a per customer requirement, not sure how that would influence the enjoyment

by the time all theaters got around to doing that. the pandemic will be over and they will have wasted millions of dollars. but Yes that is pretty sound for keeping safe. I agree with the air circulation system part though. I really don't want a glass wall between me and my friends when I go to the theaters either. maybe a temporary one.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, filmlover said:

Middle of October won't be better than July or August. No date is better than the other. As soon as the first big movie bombs, all will be pulled or release simultaneously on streaming. Theaters can't make demands anymore.

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Middle of October won't be better than July or August. No date is better than the other. As soon as the first big movie bombs, all will be pulled or release simultaneously on streaming. Theaters can't make demands anymore.

You heard here first ladies and gentlemen movie theaters are over! CJohn says so! 

31 minutes ago, Kalo said:

by the time all theaters got around to doing that. the pandemic will be over and they will have wasted millions of dollars. but Yes that is pretty sound for keeping safe. I agree with the air circulation system part though. I really don't want a glass wall between me and my friends when I go to the theaters either. maybe a temporary one.

As said (hmm, at least that what I meant, it would need major changes, that is not realistic, hence future builds) maybe something to think about for new builds in the future.

I meant the in between thing more for hands/arms, including it was to me even before Corona too often too near to some neighbors, I mean the ones that do not care if they are breaching boundaries, take over the next seats parts,... not for an acute problem situation like this, but a general less infections of other kinds too, no direct skin contact.

Seats to move on e.g. rails and fixate with a simple lever for groupings and distances, then no need for temporary glass walls. (if sophisticatedly build = new builds too)

I am aware about those thoughts not at all be possible for probably 99% + of the actual cinemas, beside maybe the air conditioning detail in some smaller variation might be possible for some of the actuals?

If I or someone else have / develop /... ideas how a future cinema could look like to stay open in a future new situation, I or someone else might get ideas, variations, little impulses to develop something else, no matter if only temporarily or more stabile for what might be possible in 2020/2021/2022? Same counts for other big venues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

As said (hmm, at least that what I meant, it would need major changes, that is not realistic, hence future builds) maybe something to think about for new builds in the future.

I meant the in between thing more for hands/arms, including it was to me even before Corona too often too near to some neighbors, I mean the ones that do not care if they are breaching boundaries, take over the next seats parts,... not for an acute problem situation like this, but a general less infections of other kinds too, no direct skin contact.

Seats to move on e.g. rails and fixate with a simple lever for groupings and distances, then no need for temporary glass walls. (if sophisticatedly build = new builds too)

I am aware about those thoughts not at all be possible for probably 99% + of the actual cinemas, beside maybe the air conditioning detail in some smaller variation might be possible for some of the actuals?

If I or someone else have / develop /... ideas how a future cinema could look like to stay open in a future new situation, I or someone else might get ideas, variations, little impulses to develop something else, no matter if only temporarily or more stabile for what might be possible in 2020/2021/2022? Same counts for other big venues.

It doesn't hurt to think of ways to prevent germs and spread of virus in general. I know I went to the theater in March and someone over me was coughing and obviously sick with something and almost regretted going. They should have known better then to go to the theater while sick anyways and especially with whats going on. some people are just dumb though.

• Like 1

After "All This" – as this weird period of deep-dive Facebooking, elaborate cooking, excessive drinking and slow-mo couch potato weariness is often called – what is going to happen to movie-going?

It’s a serious question. With a fistful of newish subscriptions to every available streaming service on television, will you really be bothered going to see a film in a cinema again? Assuming cinemas are still in business, of course.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/gone-to-the-movies-the-future-for-cinemas-after-coronavirus-20200416-p54ki5.html

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

After "All This" – as this weird period of deep-dive Facebooking, elaborate cooking, excessive drinking and slow-mo couch potato weariness is often called – what is going to happen to movie-going?

It’s a serious question. With a fistful of newish subscriptions to every available streaming service on television, will you really be bothered going to see a film in a cinema again? Assuming cinemas are still in business, of course.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/gone-to-the-movies-the-future-for-cinemas-after-coronavirus-20200416-p54ki5.html

We'll see I think people will be stir crazy once this is finally over and the scare is over. unfortunately this generation will probably forever be affected by it mentally. but people are strong and bounce back, they've been saying movie theaters are going to be a thing of the past for decades and last year they broke records. it might take some time but eventually they will be back.