DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

According to the California COVID website, it does:

unknown.png

The SF gov site says things like that are currently on hold, but may change soon. (Personally, it still seems way too early if a location still has a “substantial” outbreak, but that’s just me.) Regardless, Deadline’s verbiage seemed to strongly indicate that theaters are open now, and that’s just not true. 

• Like 1

Release Calendar Update :-

Well ok.  we got there finally.  At least next few releases are going to hold now i think.  Broken Hearts Gallery is now dated, The kings man moved out to 2021 (free's up capacity for a long run for Tenet i think).  Beyond September still probably up in the air but we shall see how it plays out. (don't see warners holding wonder woman on the 2nd October if Tenet doesn't perform as needed.

As always if i've missed any changes, post in the thread and i'll update the post.

In regards to Conjuring 3, i'm seeing mixed reports on it's release date. BOM is holding the release date at September 11, while others have it pushed back by 1 year ?

Wide Releases (according to BOM) -

next on calender

** Changes in bold

Released - Unhinged (Solstice)

Released - Words on Bathroom Walls (Roadside)

August 28, 2020 - The New Mutants (Fox)

August 28, 2020 - The Personal History of David Copperfield (Fox Searthlight)

August 28, 2020 + PVOD day and date* - Bill & Ted Face the Music (United Artists)

September 3, 2020 - Tenet (Warner Bros)

September 4, 2020 - Honest Thief

September 4, 2020 *Disney+ PVOD* - Mulan (Disney)

September 11, 2020 - The Broken Hearts Gallery (Sony)

September 18, 2020 - Infidel

September 18, 2020 *PVOD* - Antebellum (Lionsgate)

September 25, 2020 - Greenland (STX)

October 2, 2020 - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros)

October 9, 2020 - Aggie (Strand)

October 9, 2020 - The War with Grandpa (101)

October 9, 2020 *PVOD* - Trump Card (Cloudburst)

October 16, 2020 - Candyman (Universal)

October 16, 2020 - 2 Hearts (Freestyle)

October 16, 2020 *Netflix* - The Trial of Chicago 7 (Paramount)

October 23, 2020 - Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins (Paramount)

October 23, 2020 - Untitled Universal Event Comedy (Universal)

October 23, 2020 - Untitled Lord and Miller Animation

October 23, 2020 - Death on the Nile (Fox)

October 30, 2020 - Fatale (Lionsgate)

TBA 2020 - Saint Maud (A24)

November 6, 2020 - Let him go (Focus)

November 6, 2020 *limited* - Black Widow (Disney) 

November 13, 2020 - Untitled Universal Event Film IV (2020) (Universal)

November 13, 2020 - The Comeback Trail (Cloudburst)

November 13, 2020 - Clifford and Big Red Dog (Paramount)

November 13, 2020 - Deep Water (Fox)

November 20, 2020 - No Time to Die (MGM)

November 20, 2020 - Untitled Amblin Project (Universal)

November 20, 2020 - Soul (Disney)

November 20, 2020 - Stillwater (Focus)

November 25, 2020 - Voyagers (Lionsgate)

November 25, 2020 - Happiest Season (Tristar)

December 4, 2020 - The Empty Man (Fox)

December 11, 2020 - Samaritan (United Artists)

December 11, 2020 - Free Guy (Fox)

December 18, 2020 - West Side Story (Fox)

December 18, 2020 - Coming 2 America (Paramount)

December 18, 2020 - Dune (Warner Bros)

December 23, 2020 - The Croods: A New Age (Universal)

December 25, 2020 - News of the World (Universal)

December 30, 2020 - Escape Room 2 (Sony)

Other Changes beyond 2020 (or moving from 2020 to 2021)

Respect - December 25, 2020 -> January 15, 2021 [wide]

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run - United States - PVOD early 2021 / Already in release in Canada

The King's Man (Fox) - September 18, 2020 -> February 26, 2021

A Quiet Place Part II (Paramount) - September 4, 2020 -> April 23, 2021

Monster Hunter (Screen Gems) - September 4, 2020 -> April 23, 2021

The Conjuring: The Devel made me do it (Warner Bros) - September 11, 2020 -> June 4, 2021 [BOM is out of date on this one.. i have it already moved to June 2021]

Top Gun: Maverick - December 23, 2020 -> July 2, 2021

The Forever Purge - Removed -> July 9, 2021

The Last Duel - December 25, 2020 -> October 15, 2021

Halloween Kills (Universal) - October 16, 2020 -> October 15, 2021

Halloween Ends (Universal) - October 15, 2021 -> October 14, 2022

All Avatar Sequels - Delayed by 1 year starting in December 2022

All Star Wars Films - Delayed by 1 year starting in December 2023

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Can we update the thread title please?

Streaming is irrelevant on a box office forum. Without cinemas, we have no box office and therefore no need for this forum. Time to update the title. 

box office is only relevant for blockbusters and horror. the rest of the genres can live and even do better on streaming

50 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

box office is only relevant for blockbusters and horror. the rest of the genres can live and even do better on streaming

Tell that to all the horror movies that opened in the last few months before the pandemic hit except The Invisible Man :lol:. Meanwhile a bunch of prestige movies made a ton of cash during that time. Pretty sure the thread title is a witticism that shouldn't be taken too seriously heh. Our first actual taste of what moviegoing during a pandemic looks like will be starting next week.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

That’s not what I meant. This is a forum for box office. 

There are no figures to discuss regarding streaming. Studios can report whatever they want to claim. 

• Like 1

This last part was more an exaggeration on the film landscape rather than a definitive "theaters are dead" mantra, especially after Mulan moved to D+ Premier Access (although with only a three-month venue, we'll see how successful it will truly be). Although really, in our corporate hellscape, theaters died in a spiritual sense a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

This last part was more an exaggeration on the film landscape rather than a definitive "theaters are dead" mantra, especially after Mulan moved to D+ Premier Access (although with only a three-month venue, we'll see how successful it will truly be). Although really, in our corporate hellscape, theaters died in a spiritual sense a long time ago.

We’ll never know if Mulan does well or not.  

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

We'll know it did well if Disney decides to send Soul to D+ (because who knows what the potential for an animated kids film in the pandemic era is, SpongeBob's Canada numbers are showing "not very high").

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

We’ll know if it does really well. Otherwise it will be pretty opaque, yeah, but we can at least deduce that it didn’t do really well.

If Mulan does well Black Widow will likely be sent to Disney +. In the current climate it wouldn't be far fetched at all to say that Disney will be able to see more of a return by sending their movies to their very popular streaming service where they don't have to share the revenue as opposed to theaters where they have to give away a cut.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
32 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

If Mulan does well Black Widow will likely be sent to Disney +. In the current climate it wouldn't be far fetched at all to say that Disney will be able to see more of a return by sending their movies to their very popular streaming service where they don't have to share the revenue as opposed to theaters where they have to give away a cut.

There would be huge backlash if another movie goes to D+ asking $30 premium. Yes, Disney can get away with it, but with D+ offerings so bad compared to competitors, i would expect class action law suits after they locked a bunch into 3 year deals. 

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

There would be huge backlash if another movie goes to D+ asking $30 premium. Yes, Disney can get away with it, but with D+ offerings so bad compared to competitors, i would expect class action law suits after they locked a bunch into 3 year deals. 

There won't be any lawsuits. If it proves successful Disney will keep on doing it and people will keep on buying (which will prove cheaper for a lot of them than actually paying for a group of people to go to the theater). And if it doesn't prove successful they will simply stop doing it.

And Disney+ service is actually really good compared to the competitors. Several of them don't even allow Roku users to stream to their tv. Of the group of streaming services that have kicked off in the past year Disney plus has been by far the best. 

29 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I don’t see anyway Black Widow ends up on Disney+.  I believe it will just get delayed again before that happens. 

If they get say 5 to 10m subscribers to pay 30 dollars for Mulan and Disney gets to keep all that money you sure bet they will be doing it with their other big movie coming out.

Edited by RockyMountain

Moving things to streaming is easier said than done considering some of the factors at play. Remember earlier this year when Universal announced Trolls was skipping theaters on such short notice there were reports that the stars (JT, Anna Kendrick, etc.) wanted additional money to the tune of seven figures (Tom Hanks was apparently similarly unhappy with Greyhound being sold to streaming). One can only imagine the additional money the studio would have to pay the people behind Black Widow, a super expensive MCU movie with ScarJo and a handful of other in-demand talents on board, for something they definitely didn't sign up for. Unless these projects are being conceived for streaming from the very beginning, it's not worth it (especially now that theaters are getting up and running again).

• Like 2
18 hours ago, filmlover said:

We'll know it did well if Disney decides to send Soul to D+ (because who knows what the potential for an animated kids film in the pandemic era is, SpongeBob's Canada numbers are showing "not very high").

I think that would have more to do with how well Trolls did, but then again, we didn’t get numbers for Scoob!

8 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

If they get say 5 to 10m subscribers to pay 30 dollars for Mulan and Disney gets to keep all that money you sure bet they will be doing it with their other big movie coming out.

Thing is, we’ll never know. They don’t release any figures. That could be cause Disney+ original content isn’t doing well though. 

38 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think that would have more to do with how well Trolls did, but then again, we didn’t get numbers for Scoob!

Thing is, we’ll never know. They don’t release any figures. That could be cause Disney+ original content isn’t doing well though. 

And there's a reason for it:

https://deadline.com/2020/06/scoob-hbo-max-release-1202962985/

Apparently, it did 40% worse than Trolls 2, and considering that Trolls didn't even generate profits at all, I'd say that this must have lose a big money for Warner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1