DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

So, it was made more to appeal to China than DOM...and it's gonna do less in China than Tenet...that's a terrible sign.

It might lose more money overall with its release strategy of VOD in US and opening in China than Tenet will just opening everywhere (since Tenet still has the 2nd revenue streams to come)...

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Disney reacting to MULAN’s grosses: 

willem dafoe smile GIF

I was right about Chinese Skepticism toware a Western filmf about Mulan. And there are literally dozens of CHinses film versions of the legend.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

I was right about Chinese Skepticism toware a Western filmf about Mulan. And there are literally dozens of CHinses film versions of the legend.

Mulan is basically to China what Robin Hood is to Europe and North America. Both are also the same type of tale where it is a fictional story that may have been inspired by a real person/people or event.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

6m second weekend for Tenet. It's going to be a long time before studios make another movie as expensive as Tenet.

I think you're correct. It'll be years. It makes me wonder when films like Avatar 2 will be released. I bet Disney sits on it for a long time.

15 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

6m second weekend for Tenet. It's going to be a long time before studios make another movie as expensive as Tenet.

It depend what we meant by that, Red Notice/Jurassic World are probably in that Tenet size, but they were pre-covid and fully pre Tenet release projects.

But say do you mean they will not start expected for a 2022 release Guardian of the Galaxy 3 production when they are ready ? Waiting to see what happen with Wonder Woman 2 ? I think they will go for it and assume that 2022 will be ok, the 2021 blockbuster production resumed after all.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Barnack said:

It depend what we meant by that, Red Notice/Jurassic World are probably in that Tenet size, but they were pre-covid and fully pre Tenet release projects.

But say do you mean they will not start expected for a 2022 release Guardian of the Galaxy 3 production when they are ready ? Waiting to see what happen with Wonder Woman 2 ? I think they will go for it and assume that 2022 will be ok, the 2021 blockbuster production resumed after all.

Yeah I'm not really talking about anything that had already had significant work done to it prior to covid and the results we have gotten from Tenet. They will obviously still want to get those movies out as sitting on them for too long will only make those projects lose more money. I'm talking about completely brand new projects that hadn't been filmed up to this point. If none of the tent pole movies waiting to be released now end up turning a profit than I think there will be significant changes to how much studios decide to invest in future movies.

Even with a lot of theaters only having 25% capacity and some of the major markets still closed 29m after two weekends is scary (also one of those weekends was a long holiday weekend). With a 25% capacity a movie that would have made 500m pre covid should still make 125m during covid. Clearly Tenet isn't going to get anywhere near that and will probably be lucky to get to 50m domestic. If people were truly as eager to get back to theaters as some are suggesting you would be seeing much higher numbers for Tenet.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • Like 1

I'll try to see Tenet in theaters before it leaves (whenever that ends up being) but honestly so much of the WOM surrounding the movie being of the "this movie is so confusing/I could barely understand it" variety has probably turned off more people than it has made them eager to go out and see it, at least in the current climate. Although with the delays already starting with Wonder Woman and Candyman leaving October we likely won't find out for a while if Hollywood just put their eggs in the wrong basket.

Mentioned in the tracking thread earlier that now would've been a good time for Hollywood to use this period as a dumping ground and released all their movies that had $20-40M total potential that would've opened throughout this year and saved everything with a huge financial risk to it for later but they shot themselves in the foot there by sending almost all of those movies to VOD and now theaters are left literally with scraps. Now we'll just have to see how long theaters can last with barely any new product and the grosses being low as it is.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'll try to see Tenet in theaters before it leaves (whenever that ends up being) but honestly so much of the WOM surrounding the movie being of the "this movie is so confusing/I could barely understand it" variety has probably turned off more people than it has made them eager to go out and see it, at least in the current climate. Although with the delays already starting with Wonder Woman and Candyman leaving October we likely won't find out for a while if Hollywood just put their eggs in the wrong basket.

Mentioned in the tracking thread earlier that now would've been a good time for Hollywood to use this period as a dumping ground and released all their movies that had $20-40M total potential that would've opened throughout this year and saved everything with a huge financial risk to it for later but they shot themselves in the foot there by sending almost all of those movies to VOD and now theaters are left literally with scraps. Now we'll just have to see how long theaters can last with barely any new product and the grosses being low as it is.

Seeing Mulan's failure PVOD...I'd say Spongebob could rethink and give some sort of DOM release a go, especially around Thanksgiving, if Soul kicks...it's a "can't lose much" b/c there's not much to be gained PVOD, and they need to get the movie out to set up the coming spin off shows...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

4 hours ago, doublejack said:

I think you're correct. It'll be years. It makes me wonder when films like Avatar 2 will be released. I bet Disney sits on it for a long time.

I thini it's more  a case of studios will not release huge budget blockbusters until the Covid virus is under contorl.\

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Ah yes, that most prestigious of release dates, “2020 TBD.”

Hide contents

It’s actually quite funny to give a TBD and still have it be wrong though

Variety is saying sometime in the 4th quarter. Guessing it'll take Candyman's October 16 date with Death on the Nile the following weekend being the latest attempts to bring life to the box office. Now we'll just have to see how low the #1 movie will go with nothing really coming out for another month.

• Like 1