DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

MGM/Universal should move Bond forward to Candyman's release date. Would be much better than having theaters shut down again.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 8:18 AM, RockyMountain said:

6m second weekend for Tenet. It's going to be a long time before studios make another movie as expensive as Tenet.

This is just really bad logic. Whatever Marvel film is gonna start filming next will have a bigger budget than Tenet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

MGM/Universal should move Bond forward to Candyman's release date. Would be much better than having theaters shut down again.

Death on the Nile is now the next major release on October 23 so if that moves away too we'll likely see at least smaller chains shutting their doors again.

• Sad 2

I'm bummed about how Tenet has fared, but I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. It's still not playing anywhere near where I am (nothing near me is open right now) and if it's going to post soft numbers, that doesn't really incentivize locations that haven't re-opened yet to do so. If the theaters in my area were to re-open, I don't think Tenet, New Mutants, and Unhinged would be a great trio for getting people excited for going back to the movies; Tenet would probably do decently for the circumstances, but the other two? Nah.

Edited by Webslinger

According to a recent NRG poll, 51% of moviegoers are comfortable or somewhat comfortable about returning to the theater during the pandemic — a number that has spiked from the 20-30% in recent weeks. However, 49% are still uncomfortable. Another hurdle — only 41% of all potential moviegoers know that their local theater is open.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/black-widow-soul-release-date-changes-1234577241/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

According to a recent NRG poll, 51% of moviegoers are comfortable or somewhat comfortable about returning to the theater during the pandemic — a number that has spiked from the 20-30% in recent weeks. However, 49% are still uncomfortable. Another hurdle — only 41% of all potential moviegoers know that their local theater is open.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/black-widow-soul-release-date-changes-1234577241/

That's a huge swing to the positive...that means those "early adopters" to the safety strategies have gotten the word out, and more and more folks are feeling comfy in a theater...but, now, you have to actually get them there with product and advertising, or as they say, you gotta spend money to make money...

• Like 1

I suspect studios will punt after what ahppened with Tenat,at least in the US.

Attempts to portray Tenat as some great sucess are laughable, frankly.

So we had to do a presentation for on our understanding ethics In technology class today. And the professor said that everyone had to submit a project and then check in with class on what they did.

I thought we had DO a presentation. So I made a five minute video on How Theatrical Distribution is a Technological System that's been Disrupted by COVID, how the Big Five Studios are attempting to use Streaming Services as an technological and economical fix for their profits, and how that's terrible for consumers.

And like, LMFAO, I was the only one that showed their project. And after my class was like “well, fuck”. The woman after me was like “I wish I didn’t have to go after that”

Here it is. You all feel like the target audience for it. And thanks to Tele for helping me out.

And TW/CW. There is some #feigerights 😂

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

@Cap traumatized me with that Feige/MCU stuff, but I guess it was worth it in the end. 

I spent like all Saturday trying to convey that point into words. It’s not my fault that he made his speech that more succinctly said it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also you knew what you were getting into when I sent you a 30 second  clip of Lawrence in Arabia/the lion king cut 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

13 minutes ago, Cap said:

I spent like all Saturday trying to convey that point into words. It’s not my fault that he made his speech that more succinctly said it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also you knew what you were getting into when I sent you a 30 second  clip of Lawrence in Arabia/the lion king cut 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Death by Lion King or exile by Marvel, you say? 

tenor.gif?itemid=14541475

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cap said:

So we had to do a presentation for on our understanding ethics In technology class today. And the professor said that everyone had to submit a project and then check in with class on what they did.

I thought we had DO a presentation. So I made a five minute video on How Theatrical Distribution is a Technological System that's been Disrupted by COVID, how the Big Five Studios are attempting to use Streaming Services as an technological and economical fix for their profits, and how that's terrible for consumers.

And like, LMFAO, I was the only one that showed their project. And after my class was like “well, fuck”. The woman after me was like “I wish I didn’t have to go after that”

Here it is. You all feel like the target audience for it. And thanks to Tele for helping me out.

And TW/CW. There is some #feigerights 😂

"The Bandwagon" is,after "singing in the Rain" my favorite of the classic MGM musicals. The "Girl Hunt" ballet..also known as the "Mickey Spilliane" ballet is just classic.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

"The Bandwagon" is,after "singing in the Rain" my favorite of the classic MGM musicals. The "Girl Hunt" ballet..also known as the "Mickey Spilliane" ballet is just classic.

Hard same.

We also did a whole unit in class on the Faustian bargain, So I was pretty pleased with myself when I remembered that Clip

Slowly but surely the UK seems to be bracing itself for a second wave. The new rule of 6 is just the start. Bond should be very worried right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Slowly but surely the UK seems to be bracing itself for a second wave. The new rule of 6 is just the start. Bond should be very worried right now.

Hate to say it but I agree. I doubt we will see another "Lockdown" but if the government decides to close any public facing venues, cinemas will be the first to go. They would struggle to justify shutting down shops or pubs but cinemas are an easy target.

Around the time “Tenet” opened, reopening momentum for theaters was strong. A few weeks later, the major markets of New York City, Los Angeles County, and San Francisco are not back — and multiple sources tell IndieWire that it might be in the best interests of top theaters to not push authorities for approval.

Why? If they can’t legally open, theaters remain in a very good position to not owe rent to their landlords. Contrary to the position of the National Association of Theater Owners, the suspicion is many would prefer not to have the option until they can operate with something like normal business levels. New York now allows indoor dining, but the caveats include 25 percent capacities, temperature checks at the door, and contact information from every party. It’s not hard to imagine that New York theater requirements would be similar.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/black-widow-delay-disney-theaters-survive-1234586546/

• Like 1

T-3 weeks before theaters are lobbying governments to close them down again

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

In about 1-2 hours or so Imma about to drop the biggest hot take of all about tentpoles and the future of cinema.

Now that I’ve finished lunch, it’s time.

I think the age of blockbusters that the 2015-2019 years have shown us are wayyyyy over. We already know that Covid troubles likely won’t be over until mid 2021, and to add to that scientists say that the 2020s could see a wave of pandemics. Regardless, I don’t think we’ll see a film over $850M+ WW until 2022, we might get a $1B grossing movie but it won’t be much over it.

I’m about to drop the most arguably nonsensical take which I think will happen for next year at the box office but $150M-$250M tentpoles are in trouble. Spielberg warned back in 2013 that the tentpole only business will hurt Hollywood and theaters and Covid is an the potential straw for the camel’s back. The tentpole audience at least domestically isn’t coming back for a while. Overseas may fair better but Covid numbers are starting once again to rise. I think the aftermath of pandemic crisis is over, we will see smaller OW in exchange for big OWs since there’s less of a much of a rush and potentially set up the new normal

But now I have the two hottest of tales: I think mid budget movies are going to be the thing to help keep theaters alive I think Disney might be in trouble since they rely on pricy tentpoles only (and from a none film side they rely on families going out to experience their products), if during the crisis continues throughout 2021 like anticipated. Other blockbusters primarily superhero movies, $150M+ budgeted animation and other tentpoles like Bond, MI, JW are going to feel this sting especially due to the musical chairs.

More likely than not, I do see Disney pushing to squeeze more mid budget content out of Fox and their other studios but studios especially Disney should focus on keeping cost down like Sony. I do think for the tentpoles unlucky to be pushed back will see simultaneous release on streaming/PVOD and theaters. I also think we will see a wave of new feature length animation content either theatrical or streaming, including potential  

(There’s more but i need to head to the washroom.). Animation can be done cheaper, less risky for Covid and the crunch can allow for experimentation. I think studios will outsource a lot of their features to other animation studios similar to Sony, Warner and Paramount. A good idea for Disney is to convert Blue Sky Studios into a successor of WDAS-Florida to make cheaper yet still well done animation.

Other studios will have different effects during 2020-late 2021: here’s my predictions:

Universal seems best suited same with Sony as they can do a healthy mix.

WB can do mid to low budget DC films, horror, has the dreaded WAG that has just low enough budgets to break even 

Disney will of course survive but will have less yuge hits and more $550M-$750M hits which is good but not great for some budgets also Fox to fall back on helps.

Paramount will be bought out by someone

A major theater chain will be bought out by Amazon

Anyways hope you enjoyed my asspull/thoughts. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 3