Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Recommended Posts

^^ One issue is that COVID compliance will keep budgets 10-20% higher (and cause some insurance complications). 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

^^ One issue is that COVID compliance will keep budgets 10-20% higher (and cause some insurance complications). 

Was about to mention that. The costs for COVID testing and insurance will impact just about every movie production, at least live-action ones. Less hours in a day, more days to film...it'll take a lot of money, and studios will want to be sure the money they put in will be worth it. So unless it's being made by Papa Nolan or Tarantoenail, I feel like there's gonna be an even greater push towards tentpole releases, at least for the short term, as execs will be very risk-averse and more willing to keep brands already relevant and popular alive.

 

Especially since these 150M+ tentpoles are much easier to sell merchandise and ancillaries for compared to midbudget features, which can offset the pain made from depressed grosses. People will buy beach towels with Wonder Woman's face, Benoit Blanc not so much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

Was about to mention that. The costs for COVID testing and insurance will impact just about every movie production, at least live-action ones. Less hours in a day, more days to film...it'll take a lot of money, and studios will want to be sure the money they put in will be worth it. So unless it's being made by Papa Nolan or Tarantoenail, I feel like there's gonna be an even greater push towards tentpole releases, at least for the short term, as execs will be very risk-averse and more willing to keep brands already relevant and popular alive.

 

Especially since these 150M+ tentpoles are much easier to sell merchandise and ancillaries for compared to midbudget features, which can offset the pain made from depressed grosses. People will buy beach towels with Wonder Woman's face, Benoit Blanc not so much.


Maybe Lionsgate could repurpose some NTTD towels as Benoit Blanc ones, surely some women (and men!) would wanna wipe themselves down with him. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html
 

“According to exclusive figures provided by analytics research firm 7Park Data, nearly 29% of U.S. households that subscribe to Disney+ purchased the $30 “Mulan” film through September 12th — far surpassing other popular (and free) titles on the platform.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html
 

“According to exclusive figures provided by analytics research firm 7Park Data, nearly 29% of U.S. households that subscribe to Disney+ purchased the $30 “Mulan” film through September 12th — far surpassing other popular (and free) titles on the platform.”

That’s a huge number if it’s true. I’m actually pretty shocked why they wouldn’t just release Black Widow on Disney+ premium if Mulan sold that much domestically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cax16 said:

That’s a huge number if it’s true. I’m actually pretty shocked why they wouldn’t just release Black Widow on Disney+ premium if Mulan sold that much domestically. 


Maybe their internal data suggests BW wouldn’t sell nearly as many units. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html
 

“According to exclusive figures provided by analytics research firm 7Park Data, nearly 29% of U.S. households that subscribe to Disney+ purchased the $30 “Mulan” film through September 12th — far surpassing other popular (and free) titles on the platform.”

Two Reactions:

 

1.  People are desperate for new content that they're willing to pay an upcharge.

 

2.  We're never seeing films in a movie theater again.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html
 

“According to exclusive figures provided by analytics research firm 7Park Data, nearly 29% of U.S. households that subscribe to Disney+ purchased the $30 “Mulan” film through September 12th — far surpassing other popular (and free) titles on the platform.”

I don't buy it...I'll wait for Disney to confirm...if it was that good, Disney would have already put PVOD dates for Black Widow and Soul.

 

If you go to Disboards, you'll see Disney fans barely bought into the movie (even if you go to the Disney+ page)...

 

If I'm betting, with Disney again being put on hold for CA theme park open and with having to reduce Disney Paris hours significantly (both news events today), they needed a story to change the paradigm for the stock this week...and having someone "mishear" a leak or do crappy math is an easy one...

 

(Like, we EXPECT 29% of Disney + households to buy Mulan before it releases for free on Dec 4 becomes 29% already bought it)...

 

EDIT TO ADD: Or 29% of Disney US paid subscribers bought it...when many of US subscribers are getting a year free from Verizon phones...there's another good "not quite right" leak...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://screenrant.com/mulan-2020-movie-disney-plus-office-success-failure/

 

"Mulan made a total of $35.5 million on its opening weekend from Disney+ subscribers. Since the movie wasn't released in theaters, the $35.5 million is entirely net profit for Disney, who didn't have to pay any distribution fees by hosting it on their streaming service."

 

"Early numbers indicate that Mulan was watched by a total of 1.12 million households on its opening weekend."

 

Now, I don't think that Mulan made 9x DOM OW in just 10 more days...whether screenrant has the right numbers, this seems WAY more likely...and why Disney is making no extra moves...this is bomb financial territory when you add in the non-existent WW theatrical grosses...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the next Disney Earnings Call supposed to be in November? We likely won't find out until then whether it did well for them or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:


Maybe their internal data suggests BW wouldn’t sell nearly as many units. 

I can’t see how that’s possible but you could be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

https://screenrant.com/mulan-2020-movie-disney-plus-office-success-failure/

 

"Mulan made a total of $35.5 million on its opening weekend from Disney+ subscribers. Since the movie wasn't released in theaters, the $35.5 million is entirely net profit for Disney, who didn't have to pay any distribution fees by hosting it on their streaming service."

 

"Early numbers indicate that Mulan was watched by a total of 1.12 million households on its opening weekend."

 

Now, I don't think that Mulan made 9x DOM OW in just 10 more days...whether screenrant has the right numbers, this seems WAY more likely...and why Disney is making no extra moves...this is bomb financial territory when you add in the non-existent WW theatrical grosses...


Sure, no one knows anything. But by that same point, I think it’s really goofy that they announce a number that’s precise down to two decimal places, when in fact all we know (at best) is some vague amount maybe in that neighborhood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cax16 said:

I can’t see how that’s possible but you could be right.


I was being somewhat snarky, but also, my admittedly very anecdotal observation is that interest in BW is way, way down from previously released MCU movies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Plain Old Tele said:


Sure, no one knows anything. But by that same point, I think it’s really goofy that they announce a number that’s precise down to two decimal places, when in fact all we know (at best) is some vague amount maybe in that neighborhood. 

They could have a Disney source...you'd be amazed the Disney stuff that leaks to Disboards from folks in the know...this writer may have a source in Disney's studio who doesn't like this whole PVOD plan:)...but Disney will likely never confirm and we'll just see a roll up of the $30 fees plus Disney will add on subscription months for increased subscribers and anything they can to make it look less disastrous as a release next quarter b/c they can't have 2 disastrous financial quarters in a row for the stock market folks...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:


I was being somewhat snarky, but also, my admittedly very anecdotal observation is that interest in BW is way, way down from previously released MCU movies. 

I have no idea, all the trailers have good views and likes and she’s a pretty popular character. I guess the only way I see people being less interested is cause of what happened EG but again Marvel is just so huge I just don’t see how this doesn’t do big numbers whenever it releases. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html
 

“According to exclusive figures provided by analytics research firm 7Park Data, nearly 29% of U.S. households that subscribe to Disney+ purchased the $30 “Mulan” film through September 12th — far surpassing other popular (and free) titles on the platform.”

No way. That's more than its raw total would have been theatrically in that time frame. There is no way Disney wouldn't be reporting that. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I have no idea, all the trailers have good views and likes and she’s a pretty popular character. I guess the only way I see people being less interested is cause of what happened EG but again Marvel is just so huge I just don’t see how this doesn’t do big numbers whenever it releases. 

I don’t think BW is as popular as some places on the internet think she is. Anecdotally, I don’t know anyone who’s particularly desperate to watch it. I showed my partner the first trailer when it came out and it was met with a shrug and a “I’ll let you go watch that one”, and it’s not like she isn’t into CBM’s, she’s seen all the other MCU movies. Personally, I’ll wait for VOD, an MCU prequel about a side character (sorry!) isn’t going to be the film to tempt me back to cinemas (Bond might...).

 

I still think BW will do well though, being the first MCU film in well over a year guarantees that, although obviously COVID will have an impact, it won’t get near a billion. I think $600 million WW.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deadline: Just published a "Come-To-Jesus" Op-Ed:

 

Quote

What’s going on right now at the box office and with theaters goes far beyond the muted $30M domestic results of Tenet.

 

This isn’t a death knell piece for exhibition, nor is this more rhetoric to freak studios out and have them delay even more movies. Studios, you’ve created enough damage in that space.

 

It’s more a Come-to-Jesus: Studios and exhibitors, really, you’ve got to work together.

 

I’ve heard you tried to work for months together during the pandemic, before Tenet‘s anticipated July opening. But there was a lot of division, not just between yourselves, but also among rival studios.

 

If there was ever a divide between exhibition and distribution, it’s now. Some says it’s a systemic failure.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has all been so fascinating to watch. It will only be more so when Connected, Death on the Nile, Bond, Soul, BW, etc are gone and the top movie is Tenet doing 1M or whatever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cap said:


 

I appreciate the sentiment, and I think they SHOULD work together, but this is a weird-ass article with some very handwave-y stuff on the actual COVID issue; it feels like something that’d be written after a vaccine has been out for awhile.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.