DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

57 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I appreciate the sentiment, and I think they SHOULD work together, but this is a weird-ass article with some very handwave-y stuff on the actual COVID issue; it feels like something that’d be written after a vaccine has been out for awhile.

I mostly laughed at the thought of Deadline trying time play the high and mighty. 

• Haha 1

That's a fairly reasonable article. It's just telling things how it is. If theaters and studios want to do better business, they need to emphasise the safety of the venues. Like the article says, there are no known cases of COVID being contracted from going to the cinema.

I'm not sure what the situation is in USA but here (cinemas have been open for 2 months now) in the UK, all the cinemas are bigging up their safety changes. If you look at the different major chains, look at their websites, you would think that they are all entered into a competition to see who can boast the most safety features.

Easier to distance yourself from others in a cinema than it is in a restaurant, and people are happy to go out for meals so not sure what the block on cinemas is.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cap said:

Reading that arcticle, does Deadline know something we don't about Black Widow...... 

As we write this, word is bubbling that San Diego County could roll back to being a purple zone, potentially impacting and shutting down theaters (Oh, but, don’t worry, Kohl’s will remain open). Because of Wonder Woman 1984, Candyman, Greenland, and Black Widow‘s move to deeper in the calendar, some exhibitors may have to shut down Monday through Wednesday, given the lack of product over the next month. The next major studio releases are 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Death on the Nile and Sony’s Lord & Miller’s Connected. But really, the length of the desert for exhibition will last until Nov. 20, when MGM’s 007 feature No Time to Die finally opens. Already, for its theaters in smaller markets, No. 2 exhibitor Regal is planning to cut their showtimes to stay financially sound.

I'm reading this as Black Widow is already moving out of it's november date ? :thinking: or this deadline being deadline as usual ;) and jumping the gun!

• Haha 1

I'm not very optimistic we will see much before next spring in the US.

There isn't much appetite for Americans to go into theaters right now - that is very consistent in the polling done on that question. Restaurants are open, but for the most part doing much less business than normal (currently down roughly 50% year over year according to the daily Open Door numbers)-especially in terms of eat in dining. I expect alot of resturants to go belly up this winter once it gets colder and most people are not willing to eat inside. (FYI, Canada is currently down close to 40% YoY)

https://www.opentable.com/state-of-industry

Until the US gets its COVID crisis under control theaters have little chance of succeeding here, and since it has a President that is literally living in a fantasy world and constantly contradicting his own medical professionals - which will simply prolong the pandemic.

Numbers this week are much higher after the low reporting last week due to Labor Day Holiday. With more kids returning to school and the weather starting to cool down, i expect numbers to be rising once we get into October which will likely make any decisions for Studios and Theater Owners pretty simple.

I think any movie where the majority of the gross is not expected to come from the DOM market could potentially open, but any movie that is expected to make most of its money from the DOM market is unlikely to open (unless it is a really small budget film).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I'm not very optimistic we will see much before next spring in the US.

There isn't much appetite for Americans to go into theaters right now - that is very consistent in the polling done on that question. Restaurants are open, but for the most part doing much less business than normal (currently down roughly 50% year over year according to the daily Open Door numbers)-especially in terms of eat in dining. I expect alot of resturants to go belly up this winter once it gets colder and most people are not willing to eat inside. (FYI, Canada is currently down close to 40% YoY)

https://www.opentable.com/state-of-industry

Until the US gets its COVID crisis under control theaters have little chance of succeeding here, and since it has a President that is literally living in a fantasy world and constantly contradicting his own medical professionals - which will simply prolong the pandemic.

Numbers this week are much higher after the low reporting last week due to Labor Day Holiday. With more kids returning to school and the weather starting to cool down, i expect numbers to be rising once we get into October which will likely make any decisions for Studios and Theater Owners pretty simple.

I think any movie where the majority of the gross is not expected to come from the DOM market could potentially open, but any movie that is expected to make most of its money from the DOM market is unlikely to open (unless it is a really small budget film).

People are not willing to eat inside restaurants? Wow, really?

35 minutes ago, Avatree said:

People are not willing to eat inside restaurants? Wow, really?

I think there’s an understandable lack of trust regarding who is cooking/serving the food. Plus you only have to look at what’s happened in the UK with the government “Eat Out to Help Out” scheme (the government encourage people to take advantage of half price meals throughout August and then act surprised when case numbers spike from people congregating in restaurants and pubs).

A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen's orphaned movie starring Timothee Chalamet and Elle Fanning made in 2017) will finally see the light of day here on October 9. Guess they found the right time to finally let it die since theaters will be starved for new movies by that point.

https://www.thewrap.com/woody-allen-rainy-day-in-new-york-us-theaters-october/

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think there’s an understandable lack of trust regarding who is cooking/serving the food. Plus you only have to look at what’s happened in the UK with the government “Eat Out to Help Out” scheme (the government encourage people to take advantage of half price meals throughout August and then act surprised when case numbers spike from people congregating in restaurants and pubs).

Well my experience is that restaurants were RAMMED last month, so i.e. people are not worried about eating inside a restaurant.

I made use of Eat Out To Help Out probably 12-13 times during August and every single time it was really busy. I lost count of the number of places we tried to book but were full for the entire evening. People clearly are not put off from attending restaurants here in the UK so I am intrested to hear that the same is not said for people in America.

Edited by Avatree

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A Rainy Day in New York (Woody Allen's orphaned movie starring Timothee Chalamet and Elle Fanning made in 2017) will finally see the light of day here on October 9. Guess they found the right time to finally let it die since theaters will be starved for new movies by that point.

https://www.thewrap.com/woody-allen-rainy-day-in-new-york-us-theaters-october/

An example of another movie that will make more now that it ever would have...there have to be a few more movies for Sept-Nov like this and Croods 2...

Hey, is there any indications on how much Avatar will earn tomorrow or over weekend in China since today(basically) is for them 18th September and Avatar is coming today IIRC. Or they removed/postponed Avatar to later?

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Well my experience is that restaurants were RAMMED last month, so i.e. people are not worried about eating inside a restaurant.

I made use of Eat Out To Help Out probably 12-13 times during August and every single time it was really busy. I lost count of the number of places we tried to book but were full for the entire evening. People clearly are not put off from attending restaurants here in the UK so I am intrested to hear that the same is not said for people in America.

If you go to the link you can see how different it is in different countries. UK is basically the same as last year - up just slightly, Germany is up, Ireland is up. But US, Canada and Mexico are all way down and Australia is down to a slightly lesser extent (roughly 20%). 

Australia may also be a good indicator of what to expect in North America and Europe as we had toward colder weather. Their numbers were down YoY during their winter months. I don't imagine NA and Europe will be much better.

At least in the US the metrics largely validate what polling has suggested. Roughly 50% of people in the US would be comfortable eating at a restaurant according to polls. A 50% drop YoY would seem to confirm that as a legitimate number. Polls have largely suggested that 17-20% of the American public would be willing to go to a theater. Until that number probably triples I don't know how Studios and Theaters make money right now in the US.

• Like 1

The first, and unlikely to be the last, theaters to close their doors again for now.

Less than a month after Alamo Drafthouse reopened its Denton location, the theater is closed again. 

The theater will reopen once major new releases return, Bill DiGaetano, CEO of the Dallas-Fort Worth theaters, said in a statement. 

The move is to consolidate operations to just the Richardson and Lake Highlands locations to "better weather the COVID storm," DiGaetano said. 

https://dentonrc.com/business/alamo-drafthouse-temporarily-closing-denton-location-three-others/article_7a47d9be-75ea-5eac-875d-a67419f91cb2.html?fbclid=IwAR1KE4QGOITwLjqf4obo_IHeOqID2eMyPSCtJtkDQzPbZQzhcesrhYyuxg8

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

So Christmas.  If we're lucky.

16 hours ago, Cap said:

So Christmas.  If we're lucky.

And i'd be pretty surprised at that. Cases are starting to tick back up in the US and in many places in Europe and we haven't even gotten to October yet. A number of countries are starting to impose more restrictions.

Morning Consult found that 18% of those surveyed September 10-13 reported feeling comfortable returning to cinemas. That figure is up from 12% in late April but steadily trending downward from 23% in mid-June.

But American consumers are also seeming to become less fearful of contracting COVID-19. According to YouGov, 61% of U.S. consumers said they were afraid of contracting COVID-19 on Aug. 19, down from 71% on March 25, around the time when many states first instituted stay-at-home orders. 

You might expect that change in mindset to help spur a release of pent-up moviegoing demand during these first two weekends of the theatrical run of “Tenet.” But unfortunately for studios and exhibitors, moviegoing seems to be a low priority among U.S. consumers in this stage of the pandemic.

In an Ipsos survey of U.S. adults fielded at the beginning of the month, just 21% said they were likely to go to an indoor entertainment center in the next month. Meanwhile, 61% said they were likely to go inside a friend’s home, and 44% said they were likely to shop at shopping centers or malls.

Consider that 13% of U.S. survey respondents said they had rented or purchased a movie costing $20 or more, such as “Trolls World Tour,” over the past six months, YouGov found in a separate survey conducted on Sept. 1.

https://variety.com/vip/tepid-tenet-box-office-reflects-us-audience-fear-of-theaters-1234771916/

I had a thought. Considering there's basically nothing major coming to theaters for the next month (and likely longer when Black Widow moves) apart from Death on the Nile, I feel like if Paramount or Universal wanted to there's a spot to bring back Quiet Place 2 or Halloween Kills to this year. If they put one of those out on October 30th or something, they could catch the people wanting to see a horror movie around Halloween crowd, and with them being small budget films, they don't have to make the kind of money Tenet has to make. Does this seem like the kind of thing that could work with where theaters are at right now?

Edited by TepidShark