DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

1 hour ago, TepidShark said:

I had a thought. Considering there's basically nothing major coming to theaters for the next month (and likely longer when Black Widow moves) apart from Death on the Nile, I feel like if Paramount or Universal wanted to there's a spot to bring back Quiet Place 2 or Halloween Kills to this year. If they put one of those out on October 30th or something, they could catch the people wanting to see a horror movie around Halloween crowd, and with them being small budget films, they don't have to make the kind of money Tenet has to make. Does this seem like the kind of thing that could work with where theaters are at right now?

• i don't see it worth it at the moment, a non 4 quadrant movie movie won't make over 50m domestic at the moment

7 hours ago, TepidShark said:

I had a thought. Considering there's basically nothing major coming to theaters for the next month (and likely longer when Black Widow moves) apart from Death on the Nile, I feel like if Paramount or Universal wanted to there's a spot to bring back Quiet Place 2 or Halloween Kills to this year. If they put one of those out on October 30th or something, they could catch the people wanting to see a horror movie around Halloween crowd, and with them being small budget films, they don't have to make the kind of money Tenet has to make. Does this seem like the kind of thing that could work with where theaters are at right now?

I think Halloween Kills would be the better call, but unfortunately, for it to get a "real run" of Halloween, it'd have to release by the 1st week of October...and there's no way to make that happen at this point, not to both release and get a small marketing campaign to make that release worthwhile...

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 1

Sony just added a Richard Jenkins movie from Sundance called The Last Shift to next weekend a few days ago after Greenland moved away (https://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thelastshift) but it'll make pennies. Maybe Focus will re-release On the Basis of Sex in theaters for the timeliness and the fact theaters are about to become desperate for content.

• Like 2

Cases in France are really taking off recently, can’t imagine that will be good for the prospects of trying a “DOM is hobbled but we’ll release this OS heavy blockbuster anyway” play in the next few months.

• Like 1

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sony just added a Richard Jenkins movie from Sundance called The Last Shift to next weekend a few days ago after Greenland moved away (https://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thelastshift) but it'll make pennies. Maybe Focus will re-release On the Basis of Sex in theaters for the timeliness and the fact theaters are about to become desperate for content.

It probably didn't cost that much to make and with little to no marketing it'll be a drop in the bucket for Sony. They aren't releasing any of their heavy hitters only small things like Broken Hearts Club, Yellow Rose wtc. At this point theaters are desperate for content so they will take it.

Looks like $50-55M is its ceiling now even if NY and LA were to open up in the near future (with the numbers already so small, I imagine theaters still closed are in no rush to reopen).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Looks like $50-55M is its ceiling now even if NY and LA were to open up in the near future (with the numbers already so small, I imagine theaters still closed are in no rush to reopen).

7M week with 25% drops going forward would be 57 from current markets. 20% to 64M, 33% to 50M. So it should be hitting that range even if NY LA SF don’t open any further for a full year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sfran43 said:

With this reporting method, we should focus more on weekly drop than weekend drop.