Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TepidShark said:

I had a thought. Considering there's basically nothing major coming to theaters for the next month (and likely longer when Black Widow moves) apart from Death on the Nile, I feel like if Paramount or Universal wanted to there's a spot to bring back Quiet Place 2 or Halloween Kills to this year. If they put one of those out on October 30th or something, they could catch the people wanting to see a horror movie around Halloween crowd, and with them being small budget films, they don't have to make the kind of money Tenet has to make. Does this seem like the kind of thing that could work with where theaters are at right now?

  • i don't see it worth it at the moment, a non 4 quadrant movie movie won't make over 50m domestic at the moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TepidShark said:

I had a thought. Considering there's basically nothing major coming to theaters for the next month (and likely longer when Black Widow moves) apart from Death on the Nile, I feel like if Paramount or Universal wanted to there's a spot to bring back Quiet Place 2 or Halloween Kills to this year. If they put one of those out on October 30th or something, they could catch the people wanting to see a horror movie around Halloween crowd, and with them being small budget films, they don't have to make the kind of money Tenet has to make. Does this seem like the kind of thing that could work with where theaters are at right now?

 

I think Halloween Kills would be the better call, but unfortunately, for it to get a "real run" of Halloween, it'd have to release by the 1st week of October...and there's no way to make that happen at this point, not to both release and get a small marketing campaign to make that release worthwhile...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sony just added a Richard Jenkins movie from Sundance called The Last Shift to next weekend a few days ago after Greenland moved away (https://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thelastshift) but it'll make pennies. Maybe Focus will re-release On the Basis of Sex in theaters for the timeliness and the fact theaters are about to become desperate for content.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cases in France are really taking off recently, can’t imagine that will be good for the prospects of trying a “DOM is hobbled but we’ll release this OS heavy blockbuster anyway” play in the next few months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sony just added a Richard Jenkins movie from Sundance called The Last Shift to next weekend a few days ago after Greenland moved away (https://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thelastshift) but it'll make pennies. Maybe Focus will re-release On the Basis of Sex in theaters for the timeliness and the fact theaters are about to become desperate for content.

It probably didn't cost that much to make and with little to no marketing it'll be a drop in the bucket for Sony. They aren't releasing any of their heavy hitters only small things like Broken Hearts Club, Yellow Rose wtc. At this point theaters are desperate for content so they will take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like $50-55M is its ceiling now even if NY and LA were to open up in the near future (with the numbers already so small, I imagine theaters still closed are in no rush to reopen).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Looks like $50-55M is its ceiling now even if NY and LA were to open up in the near future (with the numbers already so small, I imagine theaters still closed are in no rush to reopen).

7M week with 25% drops going forward would be 57 from current markets. 20% to 64M, 33% to 50M. So it should be hitting that range even if NY LA SF don’t open any further for a full year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sfran43 said:

 

With this reporting method, we should focus more on weekly drop than weekend drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.