DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

That's great, thanks @CoolioD1 for sharing. 

Even if they are not part of the curfew, I would expect the curfew will have negative impact on cinemas. Fewer people will be out so fewer will end up in theaters.

I am expecting a winter in the Northern Hemisphere where most cinemas are closed, probably through March. I know some are holding out hope for the Holiday season, but realistically it is unlikely any significant movie going will happen during the winter months. I am expecting it to be Spring 2021 before Cinemas can resume anything close to normal operations.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Even if they are not part of the curfew, I would expect the curfew will have negative impact on cinemas. Fewer people will be out so fewer will end up in theaters.

I am expecting a winter in the Northern Hemisphere where most cinemas are closed, probably through March. I know some are holding out hope for the Holiday season, but realistically it is unlikely any significant movie going will happen during the winter months. I am expecting it to be Spring 2021 before Cinemas can resume anything close to normal operations.

I’m assuming more like summer or fall (in terms of “normal” operations at least). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

No good reason. At the moment I’m just plain old Tele. :lol: 

It upsets me when I see your post but not see your picture.

Don't worry, I have found a solution.

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

If we want to look at one possible silver lining, the fact that theaters will likely be holding onto them for a while means that The Broken Hearts Gallery and Infidel, movies that no one heard of before they opened, have a very good shot at outgrossing recent September star-studded super flops like The Goldfinch and Life Itself (embarrassing duds that fell flat on their faces in a pandemic-free environment with theaters across the country up and running). :lol:

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If we want to look at one possible silver lining, the fact that theaters will likely be holding onto them for a while means that The Broken Hearts Gallery and Infidel, movies that no one heard of before they opened, have a very good shot at outgrossing recent September star-studded super flops like The Goldfinch and Life Itself (embarrassing duds that fell flat on their faces in a pandemic-free environment with theaters across the country up and running). :lol:

Well, should I say Broken Hearts apparently hits my cheapo this Friday, so in my area, my 12 screen theaters found 12 other uses they liked better than that movie right now:)...(To be fair, one of those uses is still the "personal rental screens" that they keep for 2 screens every week for now...and they sell those out, so it might be their biggest money maker)...

Is it really a cause of celebration that Infidel outgrosses The Goldfinch? Lol.

2020 in a nutshell 😕 

• Haha 2

I think I'm going to see Akira in theaters.

I don't really care that it's dangerous. I work a dangerous job every weekday and I want to unwind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think I'm going to see Akira in theaters.

I don't really care that it's dangerous. I work a dangerous job every weekday and I want to unwind.

US theater chains have been doing a great job with sanitation, masks, and distancing, so you should be able to relax and unwind:).  Enjoy the show!:)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

US theater chains have been doing a great job with sanitation, masks, and distancing, so you should be able to relax and unwind:).  Enjoy the show!:)

Yeah my "dangerous job" is serving people fast food face to face. Lots of them don't have masks.

• Like 1

They say it'll be in 2,000+ theaters and moved it back a week (from October 9th to the 16th) in hopes that more markets will be allowed to open by then.

• Like 1

AMC is going to start closing locations on the weekdays:

• Sad 2

On 9/21/2020 at 11:43 AM, doublejack said:

theaters are going to be slashing hours and shutting down again, voluntarily this time, rather than losing money. They are not going to stay open as the PTA for Tenet plummets and nothing new is released. You can't compare the Tenet run to some other leggy past film. Tenet is the NA box office right now. As it further dwindles, the incentive to operate goes with it.

Saw this coming. That reddit thread also indicates that other locations not closing are cutting operating hours to 4 per day, or basically two showings per screen. I sound like a broken record, but Tenet is not going to be legging out a run. The legs will be cut off because theaters won't operate at a loss. Even if another movie is released and rekindles interest, Tenet is going to lose the available screens to it.

I really believe AMC will not survive COVID. I think we'll see a bankruptcy filing before the year is out, unless there is a congressional bailout, which won't happen because one party doesn't care.

The other chains are going to go into cash preservation mode and try to ride it out. The best game in town is drive-ins, and the window of opportunity there is closing somewhat as fall arrived.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cap said:

here we go batman GIF

9 hours ago, Cap said:

Expected. The same will happen for all the major chains soon, at least until a steady stream of new movies is actually on the horizon again.

• Like 1

This part was especially fascinating as to why Candyman moved. Peele is basically the complete opposite of Nolan (meaning he wasn't gonna encourage people to go to the movies during a pandemic).

In recent days, producer Jordan Peele is said to have played a prominent role in the decision to delay Candyman's release from Oct. 23 to next year, worried about encouraging consumers to gather in an enclosed, indoor cinema, sources tell THR. The film, a direct sequel to the 1992 supernatural slasher of the same name, was directed by Nia DaCosta, who co-wrote the script with Peele and Win Rosenfeld. (Peele and Rosenfeld's Monkeypaw Productions made the film for MGM, with Universal handling distribution.)

Cinema safety is a delicate subject as the industry attempts to recover from the shutdown. Theater owners, who are operating at drastically reduced capacity in order to promote social distancing, are spending tens of millions of dollars on enhanced sanitary procedures like improved air ventilation systems. Yet, just as with the general population, opinion within the creative community is divided in terms of activities someone is willing to participate in, or encourage, such as moviegoing.

Insiders stress the decision to move Candyman was squarely made by MGM and Universal, but no studio wants to upset someone as powerful and prolific as Peele. "More and more filmmakers are having these conversations," says one top studio executive. "There's just so much confusion. And there's a spectrum in terms of comfort level." Adds a counterpart at another major: "I'm hoping we'll be in a better place in November and December." (A mid-September National Research Group poll showed that roughly half of moviegoers remained nervous about sitting in a theater

• Like 1

I think this pandemic has changed the landscape of Cinema for the next decade. I don't think we'll see another billion dollar  gross in a movie till maybe 5-6 years from now.

Even when a  vaccine is found, people just won't feel safe. Holding these films hostage for who  knows  how long is dumb. At some point you're gonna have to just release it because even if it's released in May of 2021, you're no  longer guaranteed to make the amount of money you would pre-pandemic. I don't think studios understand that and just assume if they push and push the date then it means their film has a chance to gross more. 

Edited by Cappoedameron