DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Well I'm going to see Akira in about an hour. Might be the last time I ever go to a movie theater I guess.

• Like 2

I finally saw Tenet yesterday at an evening show with just 5 other people in it. First (and, if the late November/December movies I'm looking forward to end up going to 2021, last of this year) trip back to the movie theater since The Invisible Man/Emma./The Way Back/Onward right before everything went down. Overall it was a good experience and felt nice being back in a theater though being in one that was almost completely empty probably made it easier to relax.

As for Tenet itself, it was simply the wrong movie to be used as Hollywood's One True Savior as a pandemic continues to ravage this country. Not a knock against the movie (which is good, though definitely not one of Nolan's best), but this year has left everyone exhausted to the point where a lot of people are likely just not at all in the mood for something so complex it makes Inception and Interstellar look straightforward in comparison.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Jamiem said:

According to this people still don’t trust theatres compared to other outings/entertainment.

The major chains need to work out how to market the movie going experience when the next lot of new films comes out because right now they are behind travel and large events for a lot of people. 

The theaters have tried with Cinemasafe but outside of WB none of the distributors have done anything at all to promote it and WB just barely.  They need to put some money behind an ad campaign but its a chicken and egg problem why put the money in now when there is nothing for an audience to see and there won't be anything to see until people are willing to go to the theater.

It also does not help all the mixed messaging that is going on by public health officials in the media.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

The theaters have tried with Cinemasafe but outside of WB none of the distributors have done anything at all to promote it and WB just barely.  They need to put some money behind an ad campaign but its a chicken and egg problem why put the money in now when there is nothing for an audience to see and there won't be anything to see until people are willing to go to the theater.

It also does not help all the mixed messaging that is going on by public health officials in the media.

Frankly, he is overstating restaurants some. Only 49% are comfortable to eat in a restaurant now. That is not as good as the guy implies. And only another 18% expect to be comfortable in the next 2-5 months. 50% for restaurants is about the same as the responses in the May/June time frame which suggests the summer surge killed any true momentum for it. I expect the number willing to eat indoors as restaurants will decrease over the next few months as we had into the fall/winter flu season.

Movie Theaters have always been down at the bottom, the only one that tends to be lower when asked is indoor concerts. With us heading into fall/winter I don't expect that to improve until next spring. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Frankly, he is overstating restaurants some. Only 49% are comfortable to eat in a restaurant now. That is not as good as the guy implies. And only another 18% expect to be comfortable in the next 2-5 months. 50% for restaurants is about the same as the responses in the May/June time frame which suggests the summer surge killed any true momentum for it. I expect the number willing to eat indoors as restaurants will decrease over the next few months as we had into the fall/winter flu season.

Movie Theaters have always been down at the bottom, the only one that tends to be lower when asked is indoor concerts. With us heading into fall/winter I don't expect that to improve until next spring. 

I think a lot of apprehension around returning to movie theatres stems from the fact that it’s seen by a lot of people as a disposable activity that’s potentially not worth the risk. While I personally won’t eat in a restaurant at the moment, I can understand people who do, we all have to eat, whereas nobody NEEDS to see Tenet.

7 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

I agree. I think restaurants represent more of a social activity to people, with theatres being more passive. 

If you've been couped up and decide you're going to take an exposure risk, it's not hard to see how a restaurant is more appealing (even if the risks are higher). 

I also think that the desire to get to the theatre is to catch the big pop culture events and be part of the conversation. Over this past month, it's probably more important that someone has watched Elona Holmes than if they saw Tenet if they want to participate in the Zoom equivalent of watercooler talk. 

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Fingers crossed.

For movie theaters to be open in Cali, a county must be at "substantial" or lower tier for at least three weeks on this chart:

https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

I believe that updates on Tuesdays. 

I don't know if LA County has been in "substantial" zone for three weeks or not (the chart shows the official designation, not the current level of transmission). 

According to this article, the situation in LA had been improving, but this past week the R0 crept back over 1.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a delay on the part of officials even if it could technically shift tiers as the last thing Los Angeles County needs is opening too soon once again.

Edited by Porthos

35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

For movie theaters to be open in Cali, a county must be at "substantial" or lower tier for at least three weeks on this chart:

https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

I believe that updates on Tuesdays. 

I don't know if LA County has been in "substantial" zone for three weeks or not (the chart shows the official designation, not the current level of transmission). 

According to this article, the situation in LA had been improving, but this past week the R0 crept back over 1.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a delay on the part of officials even if it could technically shift tiers as the last thing Los Angeles County needs is opening too soon once again.

I believe we’ve been in the “widespread” worst zone since the rating system was announced. 

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I believe we’ve been in the “widespread” worst zone since the rating system was announced. 

I believe so, also.  What I'm not sure about is if LA is even eligible to be shifted or not, as I didn't/couldn't easily hunt down weekly data for the past couple of weeks.

The mouse over number is right at the substantial/widespread line (another reason why I doubt a designation shift is coming this week), but I couldn't easily tell if those were current numbers as of this past Tuesday, or "as of the 12th" numbers that it said further down the page.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I believe so, also.  What I'm not sure about is if LA is even eligible to be shifted or not, as I didn't/couldn't easily hunt down weekly data for the past couple of weeks.

The mouse over number is right at the substantial/widespread line (another reason why I doubt a designation shift is coming this week), but I couldn't easily tell if those were current numbers as of this past Tuesday, or "as of the 12th" numbers that it said further down the page.

Regardless, it seems like (at best) it’d still be a matter of weeks to stabilize at this potential lower threshold before theaters will open. 

I’m so sick of entities like DHD and ERC spreading this BS around without even bothering to check with local and regional health authorities. 

• Like 2

With how low the box numbers are right now and the lack of product over the next two months (and likely the rest of the year if the few remaining big titles bail on the holidays), it's hard to imagine the remaining theaters that have yet to open being eager to do so.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

With how low the box numbers are right now and the lack of product over the next two months (and likely the rest of the year if the few remaining big titles bail on the holidays), it's hard to imagine the remaining theaters that have yet to open being eager to do so.

It's that or lay everyone off - my local live performance theater just furloughed (aka laid off) 50% of staff til Apr 2021...and I'm not sure it will actually be a going concern by next April...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Sad 1

Bottom line from the Tenat release is that  big budget films simply need a active US THreatical market to break even on their threatrical run, let alone make a profit.

In Canada, the province of Quebec (Canada's second most populated province) has just ordered closure of a bunch of businesses in the two largest cities (Montreal, Quebec City), including movie theatres. 

Ontario's case volumes are also rising, and, probably about a week or so behind Quebec, so we could be seeing as shutdown here soon as well. 

Sacramento County, and most of the surrounding counties, have moved from the "widespread" tier to the "substantial" tier, opening the possibility for movie theaters locally.

Edited by Porthos

Meanwhile, Los Angeles County has stayed in the "widespread" tier.  In fact, near as I can tell, their case per 100,000 went slightly up.

I would not expect movie theaters in lala land for a while, folks.

Release Calendar Update :-

Hmmmm.  you really have to wonder what Warners were hoping for here because i think a lot on here really are not surprised by Tenets results.  Anyway nothing good has come out of it accept to prove that we are not ready for cinemas to reopen fully as yet.  If there forecasts come true for COVID through november / december, I don't see cinemas openeing before March next year and to be honest, this could last all the way into summer the way things are panning out.

Ok onto release dates and it's a see of movement to the right.  It's a brave studio who holds their film on the current release date - especially for blockbusters.

tbh - i'm surprised none of the films on the 9th October have come forward a week given the gap in the program we have now.    Though it's probably not going to matter here given the totals most films are making.

Upcoming Releases - Changes due to COVID

** Changes in bold

Released 08-14-2020 - Unhinged (Solstice)

Released 08-21-2020 - Words on Bathroom Walls (Roadside)

Released 08-28-2020 - The New Mutants (Fox)

Released 08-28-2020 - The Personal History of David Copperfield (Fox Searthlight)

Released 08-28-2020 (PVOD day and date)* - Bill & Ted Face the Music (United Artists)

Released 09-03-2020 - Tenet (Warner Bros)

Released 09-04-2020 Disney+ Premium - Mulan (Disney)

Released 09-11-2020 - The Broken Hearts Gallery (Sony)

Released 09-18-2020 - Infidel

Released 09-18-2020 *PVOD* - Antebellum (Lionsgate)

Released 09-25-2020 Select Cinemas / October 16, 2020 *Netflix* - The Trial of Chicago 7 (Paramount)

October 9, 2020 - Aggie (Strand)

October 9, 2020 - The War with Grandpa (101)

October 9, 2020 - Honest Thief

October 9, 2020 *PVOD* - Trump Card (Cloudburst)

October 16, 2020 - 2 Hearts (Freestyle)

October 23, 2020 - Untitled Universal Event Comedy (Universal) - is this film real? Anyone know which film is this a placeholder for?

October 23, 2020 - The Empty Man (Fox)

October 30, 2020 - Fatale (Lionsgate)

November 6, 2020 - Let him go (Focus)

November 13, 2020 - Untitled Universal Event Film IV (2020) (Universal)

November 13, 2020 - The Comeback Trail (Cloudburst)

November 20, 2020 - No Time to Die (MGM) - Suprised this still remains on the calendar for 2020.  how longer before this moves....  no way the studio risks this in this environment (then again i'm surprised the risk WB took and well we all know how that turned out)

November 20, 2020 - Untitled Amblin Project (Universal)

November 20, 2020 - Soul (Disney) - holding steady for now.... the question now (no matter what disney is saying here) PVOD day and date or delay......

November 25, 2020 - Voyagers (Lionsgate)

November 25, 2020 - Happiest Season (Tristar)

November 25, 2020 - The Croods: A New Age (Universal) - nice one uni, second guessing disney's move on Soul and then disney doesn't shift it...... ;)

December 11, 2020 - Samaritan (United Artists)

December 11, 2020 - Free Guy (Fox)

December 18, 2020 - Coming 2 America (Paramount)

December 18, 2020 - Dune (Warner Bros)

December 18, 2020 - Death on the Nile (Fox)

December 25, 2020 - News of the World (Universal)

December 25, 2020 - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros)

TBA 2020 - Saint Maud (A24)

TBA 2020 - Stillwater (Focus)

TBA 2020 - Connected (Sony) - BOM still has this listed on the 23rd October, however i've seen other reports it's now undated in 2020.

TBA 2020 - Greenland (STX)

Other Changes beyond 2020 (or moving from 2020 to 2021)

Escape Room 2 (Sony) - April 17, 2020 -> January 1, 2021

Respect - December 25, 2020 -> January 15, 2021

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run - United States - PVOD early 2021 / Already in release in Canada

The King's Man (Fox) - September 18, 2020 -> February 12, 2021

A Quiet Place Part II (Paramount) - September 4, 2020 -> April 23, 2021

Monster Hunter (Screen Gems) - September 4, 2020 -> April 23, 2021

Black Widow (Disney) - May 2020 ->  May 7, 2021

The Conjuring: The Devel made me do it (Warner Bros) - September 11, 2020 -> June 4, 2021

Top Gun: Maverick - December 23, 2020 -> July 2, 2021

The Forever Purge - Removed -> July 9, 2021

Deep Water (Fox) - November 13, 2020 -> August 13, 2021

The Last Duel - December 25, 2020 -> October 15, 2021

Halloween Kills (Universal) - October 16, 2020 -> October 15, 2021

Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins (Paramount) - October 23, 2020 -> October 22, 2021

Clifford and Big Red Dog (Paramount) - November 13, 2020 -> November 5, 2021

The Eternals (Disney) - November 2020 ->  November 5, 2021

West Side Story (Fox) - December 2020 -> December 10, 2021

Candyman (Universal) - October 16, 2020 -> TBC 2021

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney) - February 2021 ->  May 7, 2022

Halloween Ends (Universal) - October 15, 2021 -> October 14, 2022

All Avatar Sequels - Delayed by 1 year starting in December 2022

All Star Wars Films - Delayed by 1 year starting in December 2023

• Like 1