DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I wasn't intending to attack your view, so please don't misunderstand me. I just think we're in a knee-jerk society that overlooks what has made movie theaters endure as much as they have since long before any of us were born.

Streaming isn't bad, I agree. But it isn't a replacement for theaters. If theaters disappear, so do big-budget (and billion-dollar-earning) franchises like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc.

Studios aren't going to let the industry die... because they need it just as much as theaters need them.

Or I'm wrong and this truly is the beginning of the apocalypse and humanity's decline. 

Or no, I wasn't angry at you or anything, sorry if it came off that way ^^'

I see your point, and I hope we can live in a world where theaters and streaming can co-exist and make the movie industry even more prosperous :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I wasn't intending to attack your view, so please don't misunderstand me. I just think we're in a knee-jerk society that overlooks what has made movie theaters endure as much as they have since long before any of us were born.

Streaming isn't bad, I agree. But it isn't a replacement for theaters. If theaters disappear, so do big-budget (and billion-dollar-earning) franchises like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc.

Studios aren't going to let the industry die... because they need it just as much as theaters need them.

Or I'm wrong and this truly is the beginning of the apocalypse and humanity's decline. 

One big difference now vs every other past time...

We now can do communal viewing through streaming easily.  I hate the streaming experience...but those 20 years younger than me don't...and they will be the ones that have not developed a lifelong movie habit - their habit really has just come from familial viewing, not their own going and watching...

As the young go, so goes the industry...it just starts to contract...and with the old now refusing to go, the contraction will be deep and rapid...

Studios will want theatre money...but music artists wanted physical product money, and they lost it...once young people didn't want physical, but just wanted free tunes in their Ipods (the back-in-the-day music breaker that went along with Napster), they don't ever go back to wanting physical...

A yearlong close in a year that was already a transition from the biggie franchises...with the likelihood of significant domestic and possible worldwide theater closures - the golden goose just won't be the same...studios will regret how this whole year played...

And I won't say there was nothing anyone could do.  Europe could have had releases all summer...domestic and Asia could have had releases since August in tons of places (and still could)...would that have required staggered releases - yes.  Would it have blunted possible pre-Covid revenues - yes.  But would it have kept those movie going publics satisfied and willing to come back later (and the studios sub plans operating, where they could totally weather the storm) - yes.  That's where the mistake was.  Every other industry has gotten creative.  Even in the movie going industry, the theatrical side tried to get creative...but the studios would not provide the new content.  So, it truly falls on the studios for wherever everything ends up down the road.  I'll feel no pity for any of them, except WB, who at least tried.  But one studio can't stand alone...

Maybe I'm wrong...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Posted (edited)

Would say the chances of a studio buying a chain of theaters seems more likely now, but every studio is hurting these days. At this point nobody wants to take the risk and be blamed in the event that there was an outbreak at a theater (that article from The Hollywood Reporter even said that a lot of people in the industry don't want their movies out right now). I think it was @Plain Old Tele who said a few days ago that it might've been a good idea to make PSAs with celebrities saying it's safe to go to the movies again, but who's to say they weren't given the offer and turned it down to avoid the association of looking like they were encouraging moviegoing during a global health crisis? That HR article made it sound like WB/Nolan were the only ones really pushing for the return of moviegoing and the others just went along with it until the Tenet experiment failed and everybody finally said "see ya" to 2020.

Edited by filmlover

Posted (edited)

Communal view through streaming is a horrible replacement though. Just straight awful 

Like fast food versus a real restaurant.

2021 will likely be horrible too for the US thanks to the worst president ever (#1 now congrats).

Movie theaters will exist, airline will exist as will hotels. Just not sure what they will look like in 2021.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Eric the Friendly Ghost said:

THIS.

Address complaints about theaters being closed..at least n the US..to 1600 Pennslyvania Avenue.

Edited by dudalb

Bakkruptcy seldom means going out of business. Means that someone else takes over.

I think theaters will survive, but probably with new ownership and a lot of the less porfitible locations being closed.

• Like 1

I am wildly conflicted as to who is to blame for all of this.

Whilst I agree the way the current US administration has dealt with the pandemic has been catastrophic, it is irrefutable that many other businesses in the hospitality sector have managed to chug along.  

The cinema business has proven to be more than operational pretty much everywhere else in the world, other than the States.  Our fatality total and current case rate in the UK is just as bad as in America, but we managed to open cinemas up and do decent business.

I am more leaning towards blaming a big proportion of this chain shutdown on the studios, who are wishing for a day that might not come any time soon - and in the meantime throwing their cinema partners under the bus and putting people out of jobs.  

Audiences needed a run of films to get momentum going, and instead Tenet stood alone.  

Depending on what happens to these chains going forward, I think we may well look back and think "man, those big studios really did screw their partners over for the sake of greed".

I am particularly wound up today over Disney's decision to put Soul on Disney+ on Christmas Day.  A new Pixar movie is a theatrical event.  Just because America isn't dealing too well with things, that doesn't mean the rest of the world shouldn't have it theatrically.  It absolutely sucks for real film fans that value the experience the filmmakers make the films for.  

By all means, go for Disney+, but at least share it with theaters that can and want to show it.  Some support for them, and for the territories begging for new product.

Right now we're in this ridiculous situation where all bets have been placed on a vaccine being round the corner.  When we just don't know that to be the case, or when it might be rolled out to a sufficient degree that makes 2021 viable for the studios to release these movies.  My feelings...just get on with it and start releasing them, for an exhibition sector that has invested heavily in providing a socially distanced way of seeing films.  Just like every other hospitality sector that is open.

So yeah, I guess I just don't agree with Mendelson at all.  We've screwed our handling of the pandemic just as badly in the UK as in the states, and I went to see Trial of Chicago 7 yesterday at the cinema - socially distanced and as well done as any restaurant/pub/bar around.

They could have put Soul out for a few weeks theatrically, before the Disney+ debut.  For the integrity of the film and its artists, as well as a shot in the arm for exhibition and filmgoers.

They're not going to make as much money as they did before, sure.  For now.  Who knows how long that will be the case for.  When you're sitting on product that people are itching to see and the theatrical sector's survival depends on it...well I think they could be doing so much more to support them than they are.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  There is a majority audience outside of America that have most of their cinemas open, and have done for months.  Sure you make these big movies to make money,  but you also make them to provide joy to a mass audience that desperately need it right now.  Do the right thing for them and your cinema partners that make you the big bucks, or risk losing them forever.

Sadly, expect WW84 to be the next to announce it's going straight to TV, or moving back another six months to a time when things probably won't be any different.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I am particularly wound up today over Disney's decision to put Soul on Disney+ on Christmas Day.  A new Pixar movie is a theatrical event.  Just because America isn't dealing too well with things, that doesn't mean the rest of the world shouldn't have it theatrically.  It absolutely sucks for real film fans that value the experience the filmmakers make the films for.  

By all means, go for Disney+, but at least share it with theaters that can and want to show it.  Some support for them, and for the territories begging for new product.

Soul is being released in theaters in territories where D+ isn't available.

Posted (edited)

I mean... are European theaters even going to be open come November/December the way cases are massively spiking over there? Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Slovenia, France and several others set new daily records in just the past week, and numerous cities are on their way to imposing a second lockdown. Things aren't going as A-OK over there as some in this forum might think.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

Yeah, pretty sure No Time to Die decided to leave this year because they could foresee that they wouldn't even enjoy a good overseas run.

At this point any movie that's coming out in theaters over the next 2-3 months is pretty much being used as a sacrifice.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Soul is being released in theaters in territories where D+ isn't available.

Sure, but the fact that they'd rather not release it in theaters completely says everything.  Zero reason why they couldn't release it in cinemas at the same time or a few weeks before, other than....subscribers!!! more important than their exhibition partners by all accounts.  We'll see if they regret that when their partners aren't around to make them hundreds of millions of dollars when this is all over one day...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Zero reason why they couldn't release it in cinemas at the same time or a few weeks before, other than....subscribers!!! more important than their exhibition partners by all accounts.

I mean, other than the fact that those exhibition partners literally wouldn’t play it because of their window hangups!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cookie said:

I mean... are European theaters even going to be open come November/December the way cases are massively spiking over there? Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Slovenia, France and several others set new daily records in just the past week, and numerous cities are on their way to imposing a second lockdown. Things aren't going as A-OK over there as some in this forum might think.

Numbers are up yeah, but it's a different world now.  Things are still open, with social distancing measures.  Statistics are proving cases are largely nothing to do with hospitality, hence why they're all still open and running.  Europe are learning to live with the virus rather than shut everything down.  Which had to be done earlier in the year whilst measures were taken to prepare for living with it.  

It's absolutely not like it was to go out and do things now.  There's rules.  There's space and distance and masks.  No reason why cinema cannot join all the other leisure sectors and run, but Hollywood won't let them.  

We are light years away from where the likes of No Time to Die think they're going to make close to a billion dollars in six months time.  What are they going to do? Move it again? lol.  Just kick the can further down the road and meanwhile everything that's there to even make it function goes under?

They could have gone a month internationally and then released it digitally/bluray/UHD a month, six weeks down the line.  There's so much they could have done to support cinemas, but no.  Just wait for a day that might not come when they hope it's going to.  

It's like the rest of the hospitality/entertainment sector has managed to find ways to adapt, and Hollywood has point blank refused.  This despite the fact that movies have been making decent money internationally.  

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sure, but the fact that they'd rather not release it in theaters completely says everything.  Zero reason why they couldn't release it in cinemas at the same time or a few weeks before, other than....subscribers!!! more important than their exhibition partners by all accounts.  We'll see if they regret that when their partners aren't around to make them hundreds of millions of dollars when this is all over one day...

Probably safe to say Disney doesn't want to do anything that would promote encouraging people being in large groups, especially after they cancelled all of their holiday events at the parks this year (Candlelight Processional in particular would've been a nightmare to try and pull off in the current state of the world). They are a brand and an image, much more so than any of the other studios. D+ has been their only source of revenue for most of this year, and with LA/NYC remaining closed for the foreseeable future (making a nationwide marketing push impossible with so much potential money being left on the table), it was likely easier to just put it on their service instead of sending it out to die in theaters, especially after Onward became arguably the biggest box office victim of COVID-19 (Tenet doesn't count because everyone there knew the risk they were taking).

6 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I mean, other than the fact that those exhibition partners literally wouldn’t play it because of their window hangups!

The indie cinemas could.  

plus the bigger chains that have that rule would absolutely agree to change tact for the time being.  Why wouldn't they?

Not movie theaters but not exactly good news either:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Why wouldn't they?

Not wanting to set precedent they see as dangerous over what they (rightly imo) expect to be a pretty small amount of $$$

I do agree that Disney should offer exhibitors who want Soul (and are even open then, which probably won’t be many) the option to play Soul. The difference in subscribers seems minimal and probably worth the goodwill/direct revenue.

• Like 3

FWIW so far nobody seems to have balked at Universal's decision to put Freaky and The Croods 2 out on VOD weeks after they open. But that's because they would have literally nothing else to show and the case numbers heading in the wrong direction all over the world (and expected to continue doing so in the upcoming months) is enough to send everyone expecting to make actual money running for the hills.