DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

5 hours ago, antovolk said:

Apparently NATO is asking all cinemas across the US to put these up

Still think NATO is making a mistake in taking this route with the Virus numbers going up. Going be be very easy to accuse them of not caring about public safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

AMC  is going under. It was in deep,deep, trouble before the virus hit, Covid just speeded up the process.

REgal is a lot more troubling;it was in decent shape before the Covid hit.

Yep, I think they and Cineworld will be gone by Spring 2021...the question is what other worldwide chains/theaters will be gone, with that huge warning from Europe...

I mean, in the US, I could see Christian or small press studios making a deal for mid-country theaters to exclusively show their product in a subscription deal to save all of themselves...but that's niche industry for small money...

A few weeks ago, everyone said movie going would never go niche when I mentioned the possibility if the studios kept bailing, but here we are, and here we're going much more rapidly than anyone ever expected, even last month...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yep, I think they and Cineworld will be gone by Spring 2021...the question is what other worldwide chains/theaters will be gone, with that huge warning from Europe...

I mean, in the US, I could see Christian or small press studios making a deal for mid-country theaters to exclusively show their product in a subscription deal to save all of themselves...but that's niche industry for small money...

A few weeks ago, everyone said movie going would never go niche when I mentioned the possibility if the studios kept bailing, but here we are, and here we're going much more rapidly than anyone ever expected, even last month...

ANd it not like the AMC theaters will all close down permanently. They will reopen under new management.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

ANd it not like the AMC theaters will all close down permanently. They will reopen under new management.

Who would want a contracting business opportunity?  Again, it's unlikely to be more than some niche buys of certain theaters and sell-offs to 55+ and assisted living facilities for the rest of the properties to rezone...

• Like 1

Zhang's new film is telling a story about saving film...it deserve a release plan in US.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Still won't be. People will aquire assets. New companies will take over. But huge drop in theaters. 30% or more likely.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Still won't be. People will aquire assets. New companies will take over. But huge drop in theaters. 30% or more likely.

It's hard to say what type if theater reduction we'll see, but probably safer to say there will be a drop. 

I'm really wondering what that does to the box office. Does reduced capacity reverse trend on opening weekends? Can you really shift consumer demand on that, as with social media, people will probably want to see it as soon as possible for heavily marketed releases. Does demand for screens push out more smaller budget films. 

If opening weekend capacity is lower, then that  A:EG opening weekend record will be interesting to watch. It was already hard to see anything toppling it any time soon  based on the pipeline. If we've now seen the peak number of theaters that we'll have for a long time, that record could sit for a decade or so pretty easily. 

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I agree we're looking at a huge drop in theater counts. I think it could be over 50%, unless we start seeing more drive-ins. Evidence shows there's strong demand for that business model. 

The only way I see to avoid this scenario is if we get enough stimulus in 2021 to kick start a strong recovery. Otherwise the economic impacts will be deeper and the recovery will be protracted.

Demand for commercial real estate is in the tank, and projected to grow at just .1% annualized for the next decade. Remotely working is also going to shut down service industry businesses that depend on office workers for mid-day customers. In Detroit, hardly any restaurants are going to survive. Some have gotten by with outdoor seating, but as winter approaches their options are dwindling.

Basically, I think the odds of a v-shaped recovery are low. That's going to mean investors with deep pockets are going to buy up properties for pennies on the dollar and just hold them, not looking to reopen failed businesses. It is classic accumulation activity we see during recessions. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Zhang's new film is telling a story about saving film...it deserve a release plan in US.

This looks great. Any idea when his other film, Impasse is releasing?

16 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I agree we're looking at a huge drop in theater counts. I think it could be over 50%, unless we start seeing more drive-ins. Evidence shows there's strong demand for that business model. 

The only way I see to avoid this scenario is if we get enough stimulus in 2021 to kick start a strong recovery. Otherwise the economic impacts will be deeper and the recovery will be protracted.

Demand for commercial real estate is in the tank, and projected to grow at just .1% annualized for the next decade. Remotely working is also going to shut down service industry businesses that depend on office workers for mid-day customers. In Detroit, hardly any restaurants are going to survive. Some have gotten by with outdoor seating, but as winter approaches their options are dwindling.

Basically, I think the odds of a v-shaped recovery are low. That's going to mean investors with deep pockets are going to buy up properties for pennies on the dollar and just hold them, not looking to reopen failed businesses. It is classic accumulation activity we see during recessions. 

More drive ins. More 1 screen theater restaurants. Other niche things will pop up. New theaters will open. Long way away from that. Couple years of serious pain ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This looks great. Any idea when his other film, Impasse is releasing?

unclear. He has too many titles to make so One Second can be released.

• Like 1

Just an update about the impact of the Toronto area closures. I've been monitoring periodically my local theatre, which is just outside the closure zone to see if there's any increased activity. Hard to really evaluate, as I don't have a baseline, but, things continue to look slow. For tonight for example, across 8 screens, only a pair of tickets have been sold. 

On the flip side, when theaters in Toronto and key suburb areas closed, so did gyms. In the same plaza as my theatre is a major gym chain. There's been constant lineups to get in there since the closure took effect due to people driving from impacted areas. Its enough that its being covered by local media, as there's been a big outbreak in the province recently from a spin studio. 

I don't think this reveals much that isn't already known, but, I think it further highlights where people's priorities are. For those who frequent the gym, they'll make extraordinary effort to go even as situation erodes. For movie fans in the current environment, there isn't a similar drive. 

Cinemas reopened in India today at places but there is no business with no new release. Totally expect many of them to close again on Monday and reopen only when new releases come.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Cinema in my country have been doing this since pandemic hit but it hardly worked because of lack of new release, they can't even get distribution right to the old movies.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, Gavin Feng said:

Nice to see this FINALLY getting a release.  It's been held back by the Chinese Government for almost two years...which means he was doing something right.  Unfortunately this is not quite his original cut or vision.  

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/zhang-yimou-one-second-censorship-approval-1234783262/

But yes, he has two other already-completed movies he directed/ready for release, as well!  

58 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Studios don't want to make big investments with little income coming in. Business Administration 101.

Studios are focused on their own survival at the moment; they will deal with the theater problem later.

They  might also figure they can get the heaters a lot cheaper after the chains go bankrupt....Business is a very cynical world.

• Like 2

More bad virus numbers in the US today. A second wave is pretty much a given at this point.

The studios knew this wold happen (as would anybody who is paying attention to the news and not living in La La Land)  which is why they basically wrote off the rest of 2020.

If you want to blame osmebody, I suggest the guy at 1600 Pennslyvania avenue...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

More bad virus numbers in the US today. A second wave is pretty much a given at this point.

The studios knew this wold happen (as would anybody who is paying attention to the news and not living in La La Land)  which is why they basically wrote off the rest of 2020.

If you want to blame osmebody, I suggest the guy at 1600 Pennslyvania avenue...

You don’t have to post this every page, you know. :lol: 

• Thanks 1