DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Kajillionaire is hitting PVOD today in the US, for those wondering. First film under the Uni/AMC deal.

I really think we should be careful about making any sweeping statments about the future of theaters until we see what happens when the VIrus is finally under control.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, antovolk said:

https://thebulwark.com/in-a-world-without-movie-theaters/ - great read on what would actually happen business wise if cinemas themselves disappeared - not day and date but outright disappeared 

And it was today that Disney got pressure from an investor to drop Black Widow on D+...https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1152113-disney-investor-disney-plus-streaming-for-black-widow...

Hollywood doesn't yet realize how much this would screw their rank-and-file...from the top actors/directors on down...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I really think we should be careful about making any sweeping statments about the future of theaters until we see what happens when the VIrus is finally under control.

Why? We will have several points before herd immunity/vaccine/easy treatment where theaters can die.

-When do theaters especially AMC and Regal run out of cash?

-Is Amazon or another White Knight step up either now or during bankruptcy?

-Will people start to show up in April?

-Will distributors continue to push back release dates and sell product to streamers?

-Will Disney/WB/Universal just start releasing on their streaming platforms?

-Will NY continue with its theater ban?  Will some states start to reclose theaters?

Anyone of these can put an end to theaters before covid is under-control. 

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lobbying is essential apparently.  

Makes sense to finally open, with how covid has been trending recently in northern areas 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But with the Covid numbers rising iin the US, I think a lot of people will stay away frm the theaters.

Edited by dudalb
  • ...wtf 1

New York has been one of the few states doing adequate tests, identifying hotspots and taking actions. As long as they keep doing that, they can catch any major breakout before it gets out of control. After all one cannot keep it closed for ever waiting for case count to be zero. 

But not sure its going to make major difference to box office overall considering its outside NYC and max capacity is just 50. One reason NYC BO is big bcos it has huge screens that constantly sellout or comes close. So BO wont be interesting until this dies down. I dont see that happening in the near future. 

Do have to wonder how much that's also down to lower attendance in general (especially in the US), and general attitudes amongst attendees towards COVID? there are still irks (IMO) - which, thank god if there are indeed no cases traced back bearing in mind: 1. concessions, even an article linked in this states mentions them as a potential problem 2. trust in other audience members 3. necessity of cinema vs. groceries, work etc. and of course the looming spectre of rising cases and shit country response to the pandemic in general increasing the chances of something happening at the cinema.

• Like 2

My town's AMC opened last weekend. And I looked on the website. No showings today. They're not even showing anything on the weekdays. That's just sad.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

My town's AMC opened last weekend. And I looked on the website. No showings today. They're not even showing anything on the weekdays. That's just sad.

That I'm afraid will be a consistent thing until there's some kind of performer that encourages them to stay open

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, keysersoze123 said:

New York has been one of the few states doing adequate tests, identifying hotspots and taking actions. As long as they keep doing that, they can catch any major breakout before it gets out of control. After all one cannot keep it closed for ever waiting for case count to be zero. 

But not sure its going to make major difference to box office overall considering its outside NYC and max capacity is just 50. One reason NYC BO is big bcos it has huge screens that constantly sellout or comes close. So BO wont be interesting until this dies down. I dont see that happening in the near future. 

If the Covid numbers keep rising, people will stay way from any gathering that is not necessary.. They will take ri\sks to go grocery shopping, but not to see a movie.

The reopening of theaters might be a Pyrhhic victory....even if big new films came out the fear factor will keep people away.

• Disbelief 1

19 hours ago, SLAM! said:

There are two AMC locations near me that are still open on most weekdays. However, they further reduced hours in what is only their second or third week after reopening. They only operate long enough for two showings per screen. They open at 5, movies start at 5:15 and the last showings start around 8. For whatever reason they are closed on Thursdays.

• Like 2

I'm not expecting much until at least March, maybe April. With the way cases are going in both Europe and the USA there simply won't be a demand to keep theaters open even if there was supply. 

With European countries starting to implement more lockdowns an curfews that is going to take care of any movie watching there.

• Like 1

This is an old 3 screen complex that is closing for an indefinite period. It's the only theatre in the centre of Wollongong. This is mainly closing due to the lack of content. Looking at the schedule for the last few months it appeared as though it was only operating 2 screens.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6974681/nothing-to-see-here-as-beloved-wollongong-cinemas-indefinite-closure/

• Sad 2