DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Good News: San Francisco has now hit "Minimal" status, being the first major city in Cali to hit the lowest tier of COVID reopening in the state.

Bad News: Los Angeles County is not any closer to the "Substantial" category, which is the tier movie theaters (and other various indoor businesses) are allowed to reopen.

The surrounding/nearby counties of Orange, Santa Barbara, and Ventura Counties are all at Substantial as is San Diego County.  Unfortunately, San Bernardino County  and Riverside County are still in Widespread.

(All Adjusted for Tier designation)

Los Angeles:         7.6 per 100k (actual 10.1 per 100k)

Riverside:             9.1 per 100k (actual 8.4 per 100k)

San Bernardino: 10.9 per 100k (actual 10.8 per 100k)

There's also another measurement, the positivity rate, and on that score LA and Riverside are in the Substantial tier, while San Bernardino is straddling the line depending on how the positivity rate is adjusted.  But, as might be obvious, need both to qualify.

Long story short, LA is stubbornly over the 7.0 per 100k (adj) line needed to go down another tier.  Wouldn't care to guess how long it will take for it to go below that line.  Or if it will stay there as colder weather hits.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Thanks for the data Porthos. Here's hoping the winter months help reduce the rate and we can see LA open back up.

Sorry I'm confused, how do the winter months help?

New exemption rules in Sweden from November 1st will allow cinemas, theaters and sporting events to have a capacity of up to 300 people, provided there's space of at least one meter between groups. This comes at the same time that nightclub attendance is tightened to just 50 people due to them flaunting previous restrictions.

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=83&artikel=7580939 (in Swedish)

Edited by cookie

On 10/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, Count Eric said:

At this point I think we are just waiting to Spring. There certainly is not going to be any kind of normal Holiday season. With rates in the US and Europe skyrocketing it just feels like March or April before anything major is attempted again.

I'm guessing some of the studios might release a handful of smaller films over the Holidays but there is no way they are going to release any major movies in the winter with COVID spiking.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 8:26 AM, longlive35mm said:

Sorry I'm confused, how do the winter months help?

its' called ignorance and wishful thinking.

Amazed anybody could say the winter mnths will help, when every expert I have seen says just the opposite.

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

4 day window for theatres is brutal, although I’m sure limited means none of the major chains anyway. 

• Like 1

Should the Oscar’s be suspended for a year? 

The last week in Australia. 

12 months ago. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Should the Oscar’s be suspended for a year? 

I would say yes,and I am sure that is being discusses behind closed doors at the acedemy.

Of course all you need to qualify is play in a theater for a few days before Jan i, 2021..every year a number of Oscar Bati films do this..they play a limited engagment in LA and NYC, but don't go into general release until the next year because they don't want to fight the Holiday Blockbusters.

13 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If Bond goes to streaming I see that as the end. 

I don't understand why is everyone else not running to sell to streaming before that well runs dry?  How can these studio execs look at the landscape and think they will make money ever again with a theatrical release?

Watching Honest Thief. There’s about 20 of us here. 

1 hour ago, jimisawesome said:

I don't understand why is everyone else not running to sell to streaming before that well runs dry?  How can these studio execs look at the landscape and think they will make money ever again with a theatrical release?

Contracts, probably.

Studios simply sending things off to streaming is likely easier said than done when you have producer/director demands that also need to be met and would require them to be on board. Think there were whispers the other week that Kevin Feige overruled any chance of Black Widow heading to streaming. For all we know it could've been Pete Doctor's idea to just put Soul out there and completely give up on its theatrical run.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Contracts, probably.

Studios simply sending things off to streaming is likely easier said than done when you have producer/director demands that also need to be met and would require them to be on board. Think there were whispers the other week that Kevin Feige overruled any chance of Black Widow heading to streaming. For all we know it could've been Pete Doctor's idea to just put Soul out there and completely give up on its theatrical run.

The huge profits from theatrical releases are something the studios will not give up lightly.

I think it is way too soon to declare theaters dead. Let's wait and see  until the virus crisis is over.A lot of rush to judgements here.