DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

That's honestly better than I expected considering it's a horror movie no one knew existed until the trailer dropped a week ago and is almost 140 minutes long (...how?).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's honestly better than I expected considering it's a horror movie no one knew existed until the trailer dropped a week ago and is almost 140 minutes long (...how?).

yea i honestly dont know what ppl expected with absolutely no marketing and a trailer that dropped a week ago. 

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The thing was shot over three years ago before Disney even entered talks of buying Fox and only now it’s been released. Seems like New Mutants wasn’t alone in the Fox purgatory.

Edited by cookie

- (1) Honest Thief Open Road $2,350,000 -35% 2,502 +77 $939 $7,476,274 2
- (2) The War with Grandpa 101 Studios $1,882,672 -25% 2,345 +85 $803 $9,719,719 3
- N The Empty Man 20th Cent… $1,260,000   2,027   $622 $1,260,000 1
- (-) After We Collided Open Road $420,000   460   $913 $420,000 7
- (6) 2 Hearts Freestyle… $320,000 -39% 1,678 -5 $191 $989,821 2

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, cookie said:

The thing was shot over three years ago before Disney even entered talks of buying Fox and only now it’s been released. Seems like New Mutants wasn’t alone in the Fox purgatory.

Underwater was also shot in 2017 and wasn't released until earlier this year after the Disney acquisition. Seems like a trilogy of 2017-shot dumps that not even Fox themselves cared about.

The "we won't control the virus" statement fromthe White House is really going to help matters...

The proposed German restrictions, which would take effect Nov. 4 and remain in force until the end of the month, include:

• People will only be allowed outside with members of their own household and one other household. The restriction would be binding and violations would carry penalties
  • Citizens are asked to refrain from private travel and visits, including to relatives; hotel accommodation will be restricted to non-tourist purposes
  • All leisure institutions and facilities, such as gyms, swimming pools, theaters, opera houses, concert venues, fairs, cinemas and leisure parks will be closed
  • Restaurants, bars, nightclubs and similar establishments will be closed
  • Schools and daycare centers will stay open, as well as supermarkets and hairdressing salons, under existing hygiene regulations

2 hours ago, Jamiem said:

The proposed German restrictions, which would take effect Nov. 4 and remain in force until the end of the month, include:

• People will only be allowed outside with members of their own household and one other household. The restriction would be binding and violations would carry penalties
  • Citizens are asked to refrain from private travel and visits, including to relatives; hotel accommodation will be restricted to non-tourist purposes
  • All leisure institutions and facilities, such as gyms, swimming pools, theaters, opera houses, concert venues, fairs, cinemas and leisure parks will be closed
  • Schools and daycare centers will stay open, as well as supermarkets and hairdressing salons, under existing hygiene regulations

Is this motivated by wanting to save lives or reduce burden on the healthcare system? 

5 hours ago, Jamiem said:

If this goes into effect I see the last few films still in December shifting soon.

40 minutes ago, cookie said:

If this goes into effect I see the last few films still in December shifting soon.

If theaters in the US are ordered to shut down again soon with how bad things are getting here we'll likely see the few November titles retreat as well. The Croods 2 will either be delayed or pivot to a VOD release sooner than it was going to. Freaky will probably stay to see if it can make any money from its Friday the 13th gimmick before being put on streaming a week later unless theaters shut down before that and they'll just make it available that day.

Germany is shutting down, Italy is shutting down, UK is shutting down... Europe is going to be shutting down theaters. And so will several states.

The great 2020 theatrical release delusion is nearing a final end.

21 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

UK is shutting down...

Hopefully not, I have cinema tickets booked for Friday for The Craft and haven’t heard about us shutting down lol

Just now, Krissykins said:

Hopefully not, I have cinema tickets booked for Friday for The Craft and haven’t heard about us shutting down lol

You should be good for this Friday, lol. I mean more broadly over the next couple weeks, conditions are heading towards that level in a lot of countries, especially Western culture North Hemisphere.      

Which is exactly what you would have guess in March would be happening in Nov, based on the Spanish flu. 

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Germany is shutting down, Italy is shutting down, UK is shutting down... Europe is going to be shutting down theaters. And so will several states.

The great 2020 theatrical release delusion is nearing a final end.

Just as was expected back in the spring. There was always going to be a small window during the summer for movies to play assuming countries got the virus under control at that point. Unfortunately the country that is responsible for about 1/3 of box office did not which pretty much took out everything else.

Now we are at the point of Europe and NA having to close for the winter (which was always the most likely scenario) and we wait to see where we are in March/April. 

It's also very unlikely that we will have a widespread distribution of a vaccine by early Spring based on how trials are currently going so to have a spring movie season the populace will have to be re-convinced to wear masks and socially distance or the spring could go by the wayside pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Feels like WW84 to June is inevitable. I doubt the market will support movies like that until May-ish

5 hours ago, cookie said:

Yeah, the lockdown is goint to go way beyond November.

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Feels like WW84 to June is inevitable. I doubt the market will support movies like that until May-ish

Don't even know why WB annonced December in the first place..anybody with any brains knew a second  Covid wave was coming this winter.

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

You had better get your refund while you can..clear a second locksown is coming/

But then If I remember you were discounting the possiblity of a second wave.

In one day France, Germany and Belgium closed theaters. In UK box office Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland are already closed.