DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's going to be playing in theaters (at least wherever they're open) in addition to HBO MAX. Also there was confirmation in the Deadline article earlier about Cruella possibly going to + that Black Widow isn't going to streaming (most likely because Feige and ScarJo would need to be on board with it and the former has already made it clear he isn't).

Meanwhile, while we were down, states are already closing up theaters again. Illinois announced the other day they are closing indoor entertainment including theaters again starting this weekend, while LA might have a new stay-at-home order by the end of weekend. 

https://deadline.com/2020/11/los-angeles-county-highest-number-daily-new-coronavirus-cases-since-july-with-nearly-4000-1234618147/

There will not be many theaters open if the Covid numbers continue to skyrocket;a nd where there are open few will attend out of fear of getting the Covid.

I think WB is  making a mistake in not delaying the film; guess they learned nothing from Tenat.

1 (1) Freaky Universal $1,220,000 -66% 2,057 -415 $593 $5,592,295 2
2 (3) The War with Grandpa 101 Studios $733,067 -44% 1,688 -457 $434 $16,183,368 7
3 (2) Let Him Go Focus Fea… $710,000 -59% 1,907 -551 $372 $7,929,300 3
4 (4) Come Play Focus Fea… $550,000 -49% 1,364 -602 $403 $8,054,665 4
5 (-) The Santa Clause Walt Disney $461,000   1,581   $292 $145,294,357 1,359
6 N Vanguard Gravitas … $400,000   1,375   $291 $400,000 1
- N Buddy Games Paramount… $140,000   401   $349 $140,000 1
- (7) Guardians of the Galaxy Walt Disney $136,000 -67% 815 -745 $167 $333,714,112 330

The Numbers - Weekend Box Office Chart for November 20, 2020 (the-numbers.com)

• Like 2

Full BO this weekend going to about 6M. I predict:  

next weekend — 4-5M  

weekend after that — 1M  

wknd after that — BO reporting stops again

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Full BO this weekend going to about 6M. I predict:  

next weekend — 4-5M  

weekend after that — 1M  

wknd after that — BO reporting stops again

The Universal movies (The Croods 2, All My Life, News of the World, Promising Young Woman) coming up will probably keep box office reporting alive as long as 1,000+ theaters are still open unless they just close completely close up  across the country again and all of said movies will just pivot to PVOD. The Croods 2 won't even make 1/10th of the first movie's $180M+ total at this point. Depressing times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Universal movies (The Croods 2, All My Life, News of the World, Promising Young Woman) coming up will probably keep box office reporting alive as long as 1,000+ theaters are still open unless they just close completely close up  across the country again and all of said movies will just pivot to PVOD. The Croods 2 won't even make 1/10th of the first movie's $180M+ total at this point. Depressing times.

Yeah, I don’t think the number of operational theaters will be above 1000 for the first wknd of Dec. All My Life as literally the only planned wide release between Thanksgiving and Xmas just isn’t real incentive to stay open with lockdown orders spreading and intensifying (as is the virus).

Edited by WandaLegion

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

What about No time to die?

Regal can get a loan, but I am betting AMC cannot because AMC has such a lousy record even before the virus hit.

Edited by dudalb

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:30 AM, WandaLegion said:

Yeah, I don’t think the number of operational theaters will be above 1000 for the first wknd of Dec. All My Life as literally the only planned wide release between Thanksgiving and Xmas just isn’t real incentive to stay open with lockdown orders spreading and intensifying (as is the virus).

ANd if the Covid numbers the way they are projected to, thos1 1000 theaters will be pretty much empty.

I think people are not just getting how bad the next few weeks are going to be, with Thanksgiving being a super spreader event.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

ANd if the Covid numbers the way they are projected to, thos1 1000 theaters will be pretty much empty.

I think people are not just getting how bad the next few weeks are going to be, with Thanksgiving being a super spreader event.

People will continue to focus on that ray of hope they see until the worst possible scenario where theaters officially go under comes to pass.

1 hour ago, RockyMountain said:

People will continue to focus on that ray of hope they see until the worst possible scenario where theaters officially go under comes to pass.

Thoght if the covid numbers are as bad as the projections are , it's sort of a moot point People will say always from thaters out of self presavation.

Twitter misses going to the movies:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cap said:

Twitter misses going to the movies:

I miss going to the movies too, but compared to gettng Covid I will take no movies for a while,thank you.

Looks like Netflix is sorta testing the theatrical waters wherever they are open because Christmas Chronicles 2 is opening at some Cinemark locations today while Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and The Prom are up on their website under the "Coming Soon" section. Maybe this will be the start of a deal once the dust settles.

The Christmas Chronicles 2 Movie Tickets & Showtimes | Cinemark

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (cinemark.com)

The Prom Movie Tickets & Showtimes | Cinemark

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Looks like Netflix is sorta testing the theatrical waters wherever they are open because Christmas Chronicles 2 is opening at some Cinemark locations today while Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and The Prom are up on their website under the "Coming Soon" section. Maybe this will be the start of a deal once the dust settles.

The Christmas Chronicles 2 Movie Tickets & Showtimes | Cinemark

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (cinemark.com)

The Prom Movie Tickets & Showtimes | Cinemark

"Mank" looks interesting...just hope it gives a fair to all version of the "Who Wrote Citizen Kane" controversy.

I know the circumstances are what they are right now, but I kinda love the irony that after pitching a fit about Netflix eliminating the theatrical window, Netflix is now one of exhibition’s few lifelines. 

Even my local theaters, which were very much on the “screw anything not respecting the theatrical window” train before the pandemic, ran Hillbilly Elegy (*reflexive shudder*) during their final weekend before shutting down last Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

That's not bad for an open in theaters in the state they are in...it was probably worth the short DOM open before the PVOD...

Kinda wild that we're at the point where a $2 million day feels worthy of a raised eyebrow, but that's 2020 for ya. I'm guessing that Croods 2 will fare pretty well on PVOD in a few weeks, if only for the combination of brand familiarity and the lack of many new options for families - basically the same two factors that worked for Trolls: World Tour earlier this year.

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Kinda wild that we're at the point where a $2 million day feels worthy of a raised eyebrow, but that's 2020 for ya. I'm guessing that Croods 2 will fare pretty well on PVOD in a few weeks, if only for the combination of brand familiarity and the lack of many new options for families - basically the same two factors that worked for Trolls: World Tour earlier this year.

Options are going to get fewer as the Covid ..at least in the US worsens.\We are all going to have things a lot worse then closed theaters to worry about, sorry to say.

Now Germany annooucning theaters will remain closed through December.

IMHO WB mad a huge mistake with not delaying WW84, and when it underperforms WW big time, i think heads are going to roll at Warners.