google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

And film is not the only enteraiment being impacted horribly by the covid,; the virus just played havoc with the NFL  today, with one of the important games postponed and most of the big California teams being unable to play at home becase of restrictuions.

Not to mention the Broncos having to play with a practice squad receiver at QB today against the Saints today.  Who Dat! 

14 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Disney) - February 2021 ->  May 7, 2022

kenan thompson snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Just wanted an excuse to post this twice... 😂

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Film and TV production has actually been exempt from the lockdown rules throughout the second lockdown as long as COVID safe procedures are adhered to. I’m a member of a runner group and they’ve been advertising jobs throughout.

Ah right !

I thought it was a bit odd that live TV shows still had in-studio guest appearances.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:01 PM, dudalb said:

Depends on the state rules

The LA country might shut down filming in Hollywood  perioid. but production could go on in Georgis, which has really become "Hollywood East" in the past few years.

They are starting to film again in GA but it is sort of slow going. The latest Spider-Man movie did just get special permission to film at 2 Atlanta HS's in Jan. (Atlanta schools are all virtual right now and no events are allowed at them). Same HS's they used for the previous SM movies. 

GA actually films more 'blockbuster budget' films now than any other state due to its significant tax breaks.

23 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

I am wondering whether WB may still rethink the thoughts on releasing WW84.  gotta wonder whether the latest developments were in their calculations or have they given up on really getting much a from theoretical release.  I release it's hard to find a spot in the 2021 calendar but they are leaving a lot of $ on the table especially now it appears we may end up with a vaccine soon .  set a date in June WB - other moveis will shift to avoid this.  By then while i don't expect cinemas have fully returned, they will be hopefully on th emend by then asasuming a vaccine is out and about and cases have dropped off.....  to me releasing a film like WW84 at christmas is crazy talk.  

And this is me saying this from Australia where WW84 will get a theoretical release on boxing day assuming this all holds.  not a smart decision but i guess if they are willing to sacrifice a film like Tenet then......

It hasn't really been communicated to the public much yet that we are actually a ways off from vaccinating the majority of the public. According to an article here in Atlanta this weekend, the FDA will require 6 months of safety and performance data (keep in mind it usually requires years of data) before it is willing to open up vaccines to the general public (non-EUA). That puts the first shots in arms in the general public in the US in the April/May timeframe assuming the 6 month safety and efficacy data come back positive. Before then it will only be those covered by the EUA, which is likely to be primarily healthcare workers and nursing home residents and staff.

Given the 2 vaccines furthest along right now both require 2 doses, that means May/June before the first group of general public are fully vaccinated. 

Watching one doctor she said the hope is that by next winter they will have most everyone vaccinated. 

So realistically, even by next summer the majority of people will not be vaccinated yet. 

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Like 1

More and more I think WB is making a huge mistake with it's handling of WW84. Throwing away theatrical grosses for not just the US, but a good part of the Western World is NOT a good idea. I suspect heads will roll when WN stockholders see how badly WW84 is going to underperform not because people don't want to see it but because they can't see it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

More and more I think WB is making a huge mistake with it's handling of WW84. Throwing away theatrical grosses for not just the US, but a good part of the Western World is NOT a good idea. I suspect heads will roll when WN stockholders see how badly WW84 is going to underperform not because people don't want to see it but because they can't see it.

You are the supreme pessimist here, but on this I agree with you.  It sure feels as if this decision is a not-so-covert move for short-term gain on HBOMax, and I think it's going to come back to haunt Warner Media.  They've already been knifing various departments, and I think Warners (whether at the behest of AT&T or not) has made some critical mistakes here...but only time will tell.  While streaming has to be a consideration in our contemporary environment, it didn't need to happen simultaneously with WW84.  But also, throwing it out to theaters right now after what they already experienced with teneT shows that WarnerMedia/AT&T are either super-bold...or super-stupid.  

But yes, the movie had already been delayed...it was between a rock and gold lasso.  

I can't imagine how Jenkins and Gadot feel.  

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

You are the supreme pessimist here, but on this I agree with you.  It sure feels as if this decision is a not-so-covert move for short-term gain on HBOMax, and I think it's going to come back to haunt Warner Media.  They've already been knifing various departments, and I think Warners (whether at the behest of AT&T or not) has made some critical mistakes here...but only time will tell.  While streaming has to be a consideration in our contemporary environment, it didn't need to happen simultaneously with WW84.  But also, throwing it out to theaters right now after what they already experienced with teneT shows that WarnerMedia/AT&T are either super-bold...or super-stupid.  

But yes, the movie had already been delayed...it was between a rock and gold lasso.  

I can't imagine how Jenkins and Gadot feel.  

I agree about the short term gain for HBO/Max. Some peopole will sign on to see WW84, and will unsubscribe a month of so later.

20 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't think AT&T stock holders are going to care about WW1984 when it is a rounding error on the 181 billion dollar revenue company.  If anything AT&T stock holders will be happy to push subscriber growth at HBO Max because streaming is seen as a growth segment on Wall St.  Also, they will be happy that WB is looking at the non-theater revenue streams for the movie.  All that HBO and TNT tv money can't be reconciled until it airs.  You can't sell disks and VOD until its released on disk and VOD.  WB is the only studio that will be seeing this kind of revenue for a while so the AT&T shareholders will be happy there too. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 11:05 PM, RamblinRed said:

They are starting to film again in GA but it is sort of slow going. The latest Spider-Man movie did just get special permission to film at 2 Atlanta HS's in Jan. (Atlanta schools are all virtual right now and no events are allowed at them). Same HS's they used for the previous SM movies. 

GA actually films more 'blockbuster budget' films now than any other state due to its significant tax breaks.

This deal between the producers and the Atlanta Public School system is starting to come under criticism in Atlanta from parents.

• Like 1

NSW going from a 4sqm rule to a 2sqm rule from Monday for venues such as cinemas, pubs, restaurants etc.

There's still a 75% capacity limit for indoor venues which seems to apply to cinemas.

• Astonished 1

On 12/2/2020 at 3:45 AM, DeeCee said:

NSW going from a 4sqm rule to a 2sqm rule from Monday for venues such as cinemas, pubs, restaurants etc.

There's still a 75% capacity limit for indoor venues which seems to apply to cinemas.

And in Germany cinemas will remain closed for at least 5.5 more weeks until 10th January (they closed on 2nd November). I really hope they will open them back up in January.

38 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Holy!  That is news...that's a gauntlet thrown at every streaming service...and a not welcome sign to all DOM theaters...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

OMG.....All of it?  I just saw the HBO Max teaser.   MATRIX 4 straight to Streaming?   It's really happening.  Technology has been moving so fast since I was a kid.  It's just crazy to see the evolution happening this quickly.    Consumers just have to many entertainment choices in this world.   Hollywood is starting to adapt clearly.  But Everything?   The whole slate?  This is huge news.  I predicted this day to Friends over a decade ago.  I said there will be a time people will choose Blockbusters like PPV and having screening parties with friends.   That's a huge marketing rollout.   OK Warner Bros, you got me.  HBO Max subscribing for sure.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

Not surprising WB made this move after the latest round of covid relief talks.  There is just no hint at all that relief is coming for theaters either now or after Biden takes office and any package will be much smaller than expected not more expansive.  And the political influence in the upcoming administration is coming from the Silicon Valley side not the Hollywood side.  Studios have to finally start pricing downside risk into their revenue models and not assume everything goes back to 2019 on Jan 20th or the summer. 

Also, they where about to have a year of HBO with basically no new movie product entering the pipeline. It does not help that HBO ended other cheap programing such as boxing that could have helped fill the void on Sat nights years ago now.  All while trying to launch the revamp future of the company HBO Max.  I would expect to see other studios to follow suit now the damn has opened. 

What I wonder is when we are going to start to hear about high profile projects being put on hold or canceled.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Holy!  That is news...that's a gauntlet thrown at every streaming service...and a not welcome sign to all DOM theaters...

DOM theaters are in serious trouble now. I expect the national theater count to drop below 2k next year. Many won't survive this.

As for streaming services, WB and HBO are part of a conglomerate. I think this will fuel Disney to do the same thing with D+. Netflix, Amazon, etc are going to be competing for talent for their own content even more now. Consumers are either going to have to pick and choose what to watch, or subscribe to a bunch of different streaming services. Entertainment fragmentation and micro-targeting of audiences ramps up further.

6 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Not surprising WB made this move after the latest round of covid relief talks.  There is just no hint at all that relief is coming for theaters either now or after Biden takes office and any package will be much smaller than expected not more expansive.  And the political influence in the upcoming administration is coming from the Silicon Valley side not the Hollywood side.  Studios have to finally start pricing downside risk into their revenue models and not assume everything goes back to 2019 on Jan 20th or the summer. 

Also, they where about to have a year of HBO with basically no new movie product entering the pipeline. It does not help that HBO ended other cheap programing such as boxing that could have helped fill the void on Sat nights years ago now.  All while trying to launch the revamp future of the company HBO Max.  I would expect to see other studios to follow suit now the damn has opened. 

What I wonder is when we are going to start to hear about high profile projects being put on hold or canceled.

That's definitely coming. Tent poles appear DOA to me, at least over the next several years. I think it'll be a long time before we get another spectacle along the lines of Endgame or TRoS. Can you imagine the new Avatar films premiering on D+?

Something else to think about, will China step up and supplant Hollywood as the world's preeminent big budget film producer?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Full article from Variety

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/warner-bros-hbo-max-theaters-dune-matrix-4-1234845342/

Like “Wonder Woman 1984,” the films that Warner Bros. plans to release in 2021 will be available to HBO Max subscribers for 31 days. After the one-month mark, those movies will only play in theaters until they reach the traditional home entertainment frame. From there, people can rent through online platforms like Amazon, iTunes or Fandango. It’s unclear when the titles will return to HBO Max.

WarnerMedia chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff referred to the model as a “unique one-year plan.” Executives at the company have stressed the initiative isn’t expected to continue into 2022 or beyond — it’s considered a temporary solution in response to the ongoing global heath crisis.

“With this unique one-year plan, we can support our partners in exhibition with a steady pipeline of world-class films, while also giving moviegoers who may not have access to theaters or aren’t quite ready to go back to the movies the chance to see our amazing 2021 films,” she continued. “We see it as a win-win for film lovers and exhibitors, and we’re extremely grateful to our filmmaking partners for working with us on this innovative response to these circumstances.”

To get theaters on board and allow Warners to break the theatrical contract for “Wonder Woman 1984,” the studio is giving cinemas a more generous cut of ticket sales. Theater chains are receiving as much of 60% of revenues. But sources say that won’t be the case for upcoming releases.

Thursday’s announcement from Warner Bros. is yet another example of just how dramatically the coronavirus crisis has shifted the power dynamic between studios and theater operators. Even with effective vaccines starting to be approved, the latest move by Warner Bros. suggests the balance may never return in favor of exhibitors.

In an interview with Variety, studio chief Toby Emmerich said the hybrid plan came about after exploring various options for “Wonder Woman 1984.” The international box office has significantly rebounded and even fielded some big hits in China and Japan. Alternatively, the domestic market hasn’t seen any movie come close to blockbuster levels in terms of ticket sales. HBO Max is only available in the U.S.

“We thought it could be a win-win and give the consumers the best choice,” he said. “Unfortunately, the U.S. has been one of the most hobbled markets in terms of theatrical. Outside the U.S., in places like China, South Korea, Japan, parts of Western Europe, our films will only be available in theaters. We think those markets can perform better.”

The other thing that stood out to me in this article is the low number of movies Warners is releasing and how popular they might be. Only 17 movies for 2021 - they usually release twice that many and frankly not alot that feel like they would be massive hits to begin with.

Edited by RamblinRed