google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Kevin feige is another jerk, he just want to be feel good for owning the worldwide box office all time list,  diluting people interest into theater certainly feed his ego 

How can someone said something that jerk if MCU was built thanks to cinematic experience,    

Edited by titanic2187
  • Haha 1

The Croods 2 dropping just 35% despite becoming available on PVOD this weekend is a positive. All the more reason to believe it would've done pretty well in a normal, COVID-free scenario.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Kevin feige is another jerk, he just want to be feel good for owning the worldwide box office all time list,  diluting people interest into theater certainly feed his ego 

How can someone said something that jerk if MCU was built thanks to cinematic experience,    

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Without Feige, theaters would be done for. But sure, he’s a cinema hating jerk

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Honestly the only movie I'm leaving my house to watch would probably have to have a Marvel sticker somewhere on there.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Yeah, he really diluted the theatre experience with that $2.8 billion THEATRICAL behemoth didn’t he...

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

I feel like the “1B is dead forever crowd” is pretty myopic. If you only pay attention to the USA that could be a reasonable take, but if you’re paying attention the whole globe it looks pretty laughable tbh.

Real problem is people are making sweeping judgements based on insufficent data. Too late to declare movie theaters dead until we see what happens when the Covid is under control and theaters reopen.

i repeat, "Theaters are Dead"is the cool and hip opinion to have around here at the moment, and lots of people will jump onboard the bandwagon without stopping to think  just because  it is "cool and hip".

And this has happened before. When Television came along in the late 1940's you have plenty of people saying that movie theaters were dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

Did the guy we are talking about read the same interview with Feige that I did?

He seems to be reading a lot into it.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Europe will probably ban all travel to and from the UK;Netherlands and France have already done so.

Can't help but think film producition in the UK will take another huge hit.

6 hours ago, cax16 said:

Worth mentioning this only applies to independent theaters (not AMC/Regal/Cinemark) but still good news nonetheless. Pretty much all of the indie theaters around here (which almost exclusively play specialty fare and older-skewing mainstream titles) have been closed since March, likely in large part because it's been easier to save up that way (but also because there's no movies and the crowds that usually attends them are unable to show up due to the risk).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

while i don't believe in "theatres are dead" notion, seems like hollywood may never be able to go back to the way things were.

Some parts of Asia are already bouncing back from COVID , CN with 800 doing 450mn , JP with record breaking Demon Slayer, TW with exceptional gross for Demon Slayer & small markets like Singapore showing decent results for Wondy2 (WW 2020 at 50% seating capacity did 1.7mn SGD compared to WW 2017 2.9mn SGD).  But NA/Europe/LA may need time to recover.

releasing on PVOD the same day as theatre is a wrong move , at least for big budget movies.

better to stick with 30-day window to streaming since blockbuster movies make 90% of their gross in this time.

Well, now people in the UK can stop worrying about when theaters will  reopen and start worrying about getting enough fresh produce to prevent scurvy with the new restrictions.

Fun times.,Fun Times.

I saw "Long live streaming!" in the title. Isn't that blasphemy on a forum like this haha?

I'm going to miss the box office. Of course it technically still exists right now but, ya know. 

You know, past isn't necessarily prologue, but I do want to point out a little something.

The last time there was a global pandemic on this scale?  It was followed by something called The Roaring Twenties.  It was a period of excess, but also dynamism.  Getting away from WWI had a lot to do with it, so the situations aren't completely the same.  And, now, of course, we have so many more options to be entertained.

But I do think there's something a lot of the LOUD VOICES on the internet miss:  Folks, generally, don't like to be shut-ins. They like to go out and socialize.  There's a lot of pent up demand to go out and LIVE LIFE. 

And at least part of that is gonna be the movie going experience, IMO.

Now I am a tad more pessimistic than some here about 2021 simply because, at least in the US, the logistics of rolling out vaccines has been... Well I ain't surprised one bit that it seems to be a little bumpy right now.  I personally expect it to continue to be bumpy.  Enough so that I think it won't be 'till late Summer before the box office really starts to see signs of recovery.

But once the recovery actually starts in earnest?  Once a critical mass of folks have been vaccinated in the DOM market and WW?  Well, I think the box office might actually surprise some folks.  Not that we're gonna get back to the Good Ol' Days.  Then again, maybe closer to it than some thought.

• Like 3

On the other hand, if the more pessimistic folks are right...

On 12/20/2020 at 7:52 AM, RockyMountain said:

Probably be more accurate to say the era of billion dollar movies is dead. I doubt the theaters will ever recover to the point to where they will be able to regularly get enough people back into the theater to make that much. There might be a movie once in a great while to cross that billion dollar mark but the days of getting several billion dollar movies in a single year is definitely done. Studios seem far more concerned about building up their streaming services then getting back to the days where they could count on movies crossing a billion dollars in theaters.

I will personally find it a little ironic and strangely satisfying that The Last $1b Film of the Billon Dollar Era would be....

The Rise of Skywalker:ph34r:

Yeah yeah, I know, I know:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47qwo7vrm5dd1hgix214

(okay okay, RockyMountain did say there would still be the occasional $1b film.  Allow me my pettiness, s'il vous plaît ;))

• Haha 1

Even if the entire world besides China decided that SVOD was the way and ritualistically burned all their cinemas to the ground we would still get new 1B films 😛 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Even if the entire world besides China decided that SVOD was the way and ritualistically burned all their cinemas to the ground we would still get new 1B films 😛 

My look when I'm accused of making a serious post when I have both a TROS mention and a TDK meme in it:

tenor.gif?itemid=5860936

Spoiler

Okay, I know you realized I was Sith posting there.  But the reaction gif was too good to pass up. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

You know, past isn't necessarily prologue, but I do want to point out a little something.

The last time there was a global pandemic on this scale?  It was followed by something called The Roaring Twenties.  It was a period of excess, but also dynamism.  Getting away from WWI had a lot to do with it, so the situations aren't completely the same.  And, now, of course, we have so many more options to be entertained.

But I do think there's something a lot of the LOUD VOICES on the internet miss:  Folks, generally, don't like to be shut-ins. They like to go out and socialize.  There's a lot of pent up demand to go out and LIVE LIFE. 

And at least part of that is gonna be the movie going experience, IMO.

Now I am a tad more pessimistic than some here about 2021 simply because, at least in the US, the logistics of rolling out vaccines has been... Well I ain't surprised one bit that it seems to be a little bumpy right now.  I personally expect it to continue to be bumpy.  Enough so that I think it won't be 'till late Summer before the box office really starts to see signs of recovery.

But once the recovery actually starts in earnest?  Once a critical mass of folks have been vaccinated in the DOM market and WW?  Well, I think the box office might actually surprise some folks.  Not that we're gonna get back to the Good Ol' Days.  Then again, maybe closer to it than some thought.

I really think Cinemark is going to buy AMCs assets and close down nonproductive theaters

I don't think AMC can survive another 8 months of almost nothing revenue.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I really think Cinemark is going to buy AMCs assets and close down nonproductive theaters

I don't think AMC can survive another 8 months of almost nothing revenue.

Cinemark hinted at buying certain AMC theaters a few weeks ago and they quickly shot them down. Although that's how the whispers of the Fox/Disney sale started too. For sure, if AMC were to go under, their most profitable locations would be 100% safe like the giant one at Disney Springs, even though Disney would likely just pay up and buy it themselves if that were to happen since it's already on their property.