google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

We're likely not getting any numbers for Wonder Woman until the end of the weekend like Tenet did but:

- N News of the World Universal $1,050,000     1,900 $553 $1,050,000 1
- (1) The Croods: A New Age Universal $550,000 +58% n/c 1,726 $319 $29,166,740 31
- N Promising Young Woman Focus Features $270,000     1,310 $206 $270,000 1

The Numbers - Daily Box Office Chart for Friday December 25, 2020 (the-numbers.com)

Actually pretty good for News of the World, all things considered. Could've had a good run in normal times. Promising Young Woman would've struggled to find much of an audience even in its original April release date given what a tough sell it is so the numbers are acceptable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Cinemark hinted at buying certain AMC theaters a few weeks ago and they quickly shot them down. Although that's how the whispers of the Fox/Disney sale started too. For sure, if AMC were to go under, their most profitable locations would be 100% safe like the giant one at Disney Springs, even though Disney would likely just pay up and buy it themselves if that were to happen since it's already on their property.

Forced merger when AMC stocks hits $1. Close to all time low right now

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

You know, past isn't necessarily prologue, but I do want to point out a little something.

The last time there was a global pandemic on this scale?  It was followed by something called The Roaring Twenties.  It was a period of excess, but also dynamism.  Getting away from WWI had a lot to do with it, so the situations aren't completely the same.  And, now, of course, we have so many more options to be entertained.

But I do think there's something a lot of the LOUD VOICES on the internet miss:  Folks, generally, don't like to be shut-ins. They like to go out and socialize.  There's a lot of pent up demand to go out and LIVE LIFE. 

And at least part of that is gonna be the movie going experience, IMO.

Now I am a tad more pessimistic than some here about 2021 simply because, at least in the US, the logistics of rolling out vaccines has been... Well I ain't surprised one bit that it seems to be a little bumpy right now.  I personally expect it to continue to be bumpy.  Enough so that I think it won't be 'till late Summer before the box office really starts to see signs of recovery.

But once the recovery actually starts in earnest?  Once a critical mass of folks have been vaccinated in the DOM market and WW?  Well, I think the box office might actually surprise some folks.  Not that we're gonna get back to the Good Ol' Days.  Then again, maybe closer to it than some thought.

World war One and the changes it wrought had everything to do with the 1920's turing out the way they did. The Pandemic had little to do with it. The Pandemic was quickly forgotten, the First World War was not.
And the new strain of Covid is a joker in the 2021 predciton deck. Problem is if it is more infectous and can spread faster, it means the vaccine will take longer to get it under control. And the American people seem to making a huge mistake in adapting a "we have the vaciine, we can let up on the other measures" attitude.

yeah, a bumpy roll out was to be expected. it's like the first Military operations in a war;a lot o f mistakes are going to be made early on.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Forced merger when AMC stocks hits $1. Close to all time low right now

Yeah, someone will pick up AMC for the proverbial song. If nothing else, they can make a profit on the purchase just from the sale of  AMC real estate.

BUsiness anlyist have been warning for some time  there has been a lot of overbuilding in the theater industry;simply too many screens.The Covid just brough the reckoning around sooner.

I wonder what new gimmicks the film industry will come up with to get people back into the theaters, the way they used Widescreen in the 1950's to combat television. Gvie them somethng they can't get with a home theater system.

I see a LOT of smiliraties between now and the crisis TV  brough about in the 1950s.

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

I wonder what new gimmicks the film industry will come up with to get people back into the theaters, the way they used Widescreen in the 1950's to combat television. Gvie them somethng they can't get with a home theater system.

I see a LOT of smiliraties between now and the crisis TV  brough about in the 1950s.

I don’t think they’ll need any gimmicks. Just movies people want to see that they can’t see anywhere else. 
That’ll largely be down to the studios backing theaters of course, but they’d be mad not to. 

I’ve never felt less enthused to watch blockbuster movies in my life. And I love them. Without the theater they’re borderline pointless.  

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

If anything, it'll be premium experiences like Gold Class that become more common. This is a special case, but at one particular theatre in Sydney, WW84 is probably about to sell out every single Gold Class session for the third consecutive day. Now it is a holiday weekend and Monday is a public holiday and WW84 is by quite a margin the biggest movie to be released post-reopening, but still, even if they don't sell out completely, a Gold Class ticket is near twice as expensive as a regular ticket. They also sell stuff like alcohol and meals that beef up the margins compared to a regular screening. 

WqCSxkL.png

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/experiences/GoldClass

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Amc restructured to make it hard to do a forced take over just recently.

Which won't matter if AMC goes into straight up bankrputcy..which appears inevitable at this  point.

And, frankly, given their record, I am not sure the present management of AMC could fight off a determined hostile takeover;they have not proven themsleves very competent. AMC was headed toward bankruptcy even before the COvid hit.

Which is why pointing at AMC as a bellweather for theaeters as a whole is really questionable.

22 hours ago, dudalb said:

Better Movies need to be a thing.  

1 N Wonder Woman 1984 Warner Bros. $16,700,000   2,151   $7,764 $16,700,000 1
2 N News of the World Universal $2,400,000   1,900   $1,263 $2,400,000 1
3 (2) The Croods: A New Age Universal $1,730,000 -17% 1,726 -180 $1,002 $30,346,740 5
4 (1) Monster Hunter Sony Pict… $1,100,000 -50% 1,817 +81 $605 $4,200,000 2
5 N Promising Young Woman Focus Fea… $680,000   1,310   $519 $680,000 1
6 (3) Fatale Lionsgate $660,000 -28% 1,168 +61 $565 $1,961,261 2
7 N Pinocchio Roadside … $274,605   764   $359 $274,605 1

The Numbers - Weekend Box Office Chart for December 25, 2020 (the-numbers.com)

I may even see Wonder Woman that I'm not interested in because it's been so long since I was in the cinema. But cinemas are still closed over here for the foreseeable future. Definitely planned on seeing Soul.

I think the industry will rebound but not before a lot of pain, maybe more mergers, sales or bankruptcies and streaming basically becoming a staple for certain types of films. They'd have to rework contracts but I'd think that data might finally have to be reported to an extent because it affects contracts/earnings for the talent. 

Netflix and Disney can be secretive for now, but I'm not sure they can get away with no details forever. Also 2 minutes seems like a pretty low bar to count as a view, but that would be good for talent. I mean, are people that attention-deficit that they don't finish movies in their own home? Impossible. 

On 12/28/2020 at 3:52 AM, BK007 said:

They'd have to rework contracts but I'd think that data might finally have to be reported to an extent because it affects contracts/earnings for the talent. 

Netflix and Disney can be secretive for now, but I'm not sure they can get away with no details forever. Also 2 minutes seems like a pretty low bar to count as a view, but that would be good for talent. I mean, are people that attention-deficit that they don't finish movies in their own home? Impossible. 

I think studios had access to many Netflix data when they were licensing content to them, it was Netflix in house production that had producer in the dark in the past.

If they open their books to them, that does not mean the public will, think DVDs sales they were secret but Tom Cruise knew those numbers. I imagine many of the big names that worked with Netflix saw some numbers over the years, leaked Sony contract with Netflix had language like this:

REPORTING OBLIGATIONS.  Licensee shall report electronically to Licensor the following information: on a monthly basis, within thirty (30) calendar days after the end of each calendar month, a written report detailing the aggregate number of unique Registered User viewers for each Included Program and the aggregate number of Registered User stream starts; provided, however, that Registered Users attributable to a “free trial” of or other promotion for the SVOD Service shall not be included.  Additionally, Licensee shall provide Licensor, at least once during each calendar quarter, with an informal business review, which if available and not subject to confidentiality restrictions will include (i) data and discussion regarding the performance and relative performance of Included Programs on the SVOD Service, Hardware Devices and/or Software Devices such as the performance of Included Programs by content type (e.g., episodic vs. feature) and age; (ii) additional streaming data, such as the percentage of Registered Users actively streaming content on the SVOD Service; the average number of concurrent streams and registered Approved Devices used by actively streaming Registered Users; and (iii) such other information that Licensor may reasonably request from time to time.  Licensee represents and warrants that it shall not, commencing on the Effective Date and throughout the remainder of the Term, disadvantage Licensor with respect to reporting by providing to any other Major Studio licensor with an SVOD license agreement in the Territory materially greater, relevant reporting information than provided to Licensor hereunder.

Disney knew how much is Marvel and Star wars stuff was being watched I am almost certain, maybe even the demos on what the people that watched Netflix Disney content watched it (Roku, Apple, etc...), how long in average and so one.

Like for world TV contract or Home entertainment, talents can access those numbers and have cuts based on them and everyone that get residual automatically get them without any of us knowing because they are not made public, same could occur for the Netflix of the world. Third party accounting firm will be put between the 2 to monitor that it is all fair.

On 12/28/2020 at 3:52 AM, BK007 said:

I mean, are people that attention-deficit that they don't finish movies in their own home? Impossible. 

I am not sure how much you are serious, people instead of reading reviews will start a movie and rapidly have a good idea if the tone / aesthetic / confidence express in it match their taste and often decide to match something a click away, obviously people will not finish movie a lot of the time, let alone complete series.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 12:24 PM, Macleod said:

Better Movies need to be a thing.  

Living a different reality, I see.

On 12/26/2020 at 4:50 PM, dudalb said:

I wonder what new gimmicks the film industry will come up with to get people back into the theaters,

Will have to look at Avatar 2 for that, maybe glassless 3D or better 3D (with no frame rate issues and darkness issues)

Maybe intelligent motion blur will get better and will make it possible for high FPS to become a think, 2160p at 60 fps with good quality compression and full color would be huge content for streamer/blu ray to handle, let alone 120.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Living a different reality, I see.

I'd argue the overall quality of blockbusters pales in comparison to the last few decades, but that's me.  Movies may gross a billion again, but what's it all worth?  How much will we remember Spider-Man 16 vs. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'd argue the overall quality of blockbusters pales in comparison to the last few decades, but that's me.  Movies may gross a billion again, but what's it all worth?  How much will we remember Spider-Man 16 vs. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?  

Maybe there is a bit of rose tinted nostalgia versus the 90s/00/early 10s blockbuster versus now.

Indiana Jones and other Spielberg are more an exception than the rules, better to compare it to the best director blockbuster we have now.

That said better movies always help and never hurt, but they will be better when you watch them at home as well. It seem to turn them into even to activate the FOMO part in us is a good way and something they will continue (with franchise and overarching storyline) has much has they can.

17 hours ago, Macleod said:

Oh I agree but just don't see how theaters closing will improve the situation much. Even with streaming the studios will prefer the audeince pleasers to filmis aimed at a smaller audience.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Oh I agree but just don't see how theaters closing will improve the situation much. Even with streaming the studios will prefer the audeince pleasers to filmis aimed at a smaller audience.

You have read the comment completely in reverse, the sentence to help theater better movie would help.

Not movie would be better without theater.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 5:22 AM, Barnack said:

I think studios had access to many Netflix data when they were licensing content to them, it was Netflix in house production that had producer in the dark in the past.

If they open their books to them, that does not mean the public will, think DVDs sales they were secret but Tom Cruise knew those numbers. I imagine many of the big names had Netflix saw some numbers over the years, leaked Sony contract with Netflix had language like this:

REPORTING OBLIGATIONS.  Licensee shall report electronically to Licensor the following information: on a monthly basis, within thirty (30) calendar days after the end of each calendar month, a written report detailing the aggregate number of unique Registered User viewers for each Included Program and the aggregate number of Registered User stream starts; provided, however, that Registered Users attributable to a “free trial” of or other promotion for the SVOD Service shall not be included.  Additionally, Licensee shall provide Licensor, at least once during each calendar quarter, with an informal business review, which if available and not subject to confidentiality restrictions will include (i) data and discussion regarding the performance and relative performance of Included Programs on the SVOD Service, Hardware Devices and/or Software Devices such as the performance of Included Programs by content type (e.g., episodic vs. feature) and age; (ii) additional streaming data, such as the percentage of Registered Users actively streaming content on the SVOD Service; the average number of concurrent streams and registered Approved Devices used by actively streaming Registered Users; and (iii) such other information that Licensor may reasonably request from time to time.  Licensee represents and warrants that it shall not, commencing on the Effective Date and throughout the remainder of the Term, disadvantage Licensor with respect to reporting by providing to any other Major Studio licensor with an SVOD license agreement in the Territory materially greater, relevant reporting information than provided to Licensor hereunder.

Disney knew how much is Marvel and Star wars stuff was being watched I am almost certain, maybe even the demos on what the people that watched Netflix Disney content watched it (Roku, Apple, etc...), how long in average and so one.

Like for world TV contract or Home entertainment, talents can access those numbers and have cuts based on them and everyone that get residual automatically get them without any of us knowing because they are not made public, same could occur for the Netflix of the world. Third party accounting firm will be put between the 2 to monitor that it is all fair.

I am not sure how much you are serious, people instead of reading reviews will start a movie and rapidly have a good idea if the tone / aesthetic / confidence express in it match their taste and often decide to match something a click away, obviously people will not finish movie a lot of the time, let alone complete series.

Thanks for that. 

They don't owe us the data of course, and I suppose it only materially affects agents and talent - and it would be the former's job to make sure their client is fairly compensated, which would obviously be a lot more difficult with no public data. 

But what would we all be doing if we can't measure the popularity of anything with any reliability haha.

Honestly, if anyone works in digital marketing, so much of the statistics that companies/advertisers give their clients are such BS. 

And on that last point, I mean that you can pretty much say that the # of tickets sold equals the # of people who have seen the entirety of a movie. But with "2 minute stream" at 40m or whatever, that sounds terrible that they don't share exactly how many people completed a movie. I think previously they had a better metric with like 75% watched, which has some value.

Places like Facebook count a video view as 3 seconds or 10 seconds. That just inflates popularity massively and seeing the behaviour of a lot of people, they barely register the videos as they flick through feeds yet it counts. That's just false advertising. 

• Like 1