DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

I think it's expected that a good portion of the general audience will not be rushing to go to the movies so fast. so studios will have to rely on the die hard fans from different fandoms like Marvel movies & Nolan.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

they have reopened cinemas in South Korea

Their contact tracing is so good, it will be interesting to see how it goes and if any cluster appears linked to a movie theater (which obviously would be bad news).

6 hours ago, antovolk said:

Bad headline but utterly crucial data in there. Nearly half of those surveyed wouldn’t go within a month of state reopenings.

It says only 34% between the age of 18-34 are unlikely to go within a month which I'd say is good enough. Seems like old people (who usually don't go watch big blockbusters either way brought the number up). Either way, the marketing hasn't kicked in and that could pull in more people.

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Nolan marathon. 

I also have about $250 worth of gift cards to work through. (I occasionally go nuts when they’re 20% off. Unfortunate timing on this occasion.)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It says only 34% between the age of 18-34 are unlikely to go within a month which I'd say is good enough. Seems like old people (who usually don't go watch big blockbusters either way brought the number up). Either way, the marketing hasn't kicked in and that could pull in more people.

Looking into the actual data and putting together the 'somewhat' and 'very' likely and unlikely figures for 18-34s, it's 30% yes vs 54% no. So not quite good enough....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom2/April 30 to May 3 THR Morning Consult.pdf

It's clear as day here - at the moment, in the US, most people will not be willing to go in July/August.. 

Edited by antovolk
1 hour ago, antovolk said:

Looking into the actual data and putting together the 'somewhat' and 'very' likely and unlikely figures for 18-34s, it's 30% yes vs 54% no. So not quite good enough....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom2/April 30 to May 3 THR Morning Consult.pdf

It's clear as day here - at the moment, in the US, most people will not be willing to go in July/August.. 

Out of curiosity, were there polls regarding how likely people are to go to the beach before they were reopened in certain places?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Out of curiosity, were there polls regarding how likely people are to go to the beach before they were reopened in certain places?

if we go down that rabbit hole you might as well say there's no point of believing any polls

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I'd also like to see how well Disneyland/Disneyworld reservations are doing. If a lot of people are willing to go to those extremely crowded theme parks, I don't see how going to cinemas is seen as less risky to most people.

Also I think some people who said somewhat unlikely don't really know what movies are coming out. Would they be more likely to go if they knew Tenet, Mulan, and WW1984 were coming out?

12 minutes ago, antovolk said:

if we go down that rabbit hole you might as well say there's no point of believing any polls

I'm not saying I don't trust the poll - though certainly in recent years they've proven very flawed. I'm just curious, since it would be a fairly similar scenario. I want to see if there was an actual discrepancy there, and get some insight into how this might translate to other activities. 

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There's no other way to cover a 200 mil movie's budget.

There has to be. Are you saying that if theaters die 200M budget movies end? C'mon now.

Netflix has productions that probably cost close to that.

I can only speak for the UK but I'm fairly certain the majority of people here are not going to feel inclined to go to the cinema in July, and if WB are still planning on releasing Tenet that month then it's clearly resigned to losing a shit-ton of money on it.

Edited by Hatebox
13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

There has to be. Are you saying that if theaters die 200M budget movies end? C'mon now.

Netflix has productions that probably cost close to that.

Netflix operates at a loss though. What they're trying to do is make sure they have enough original content so that they don't have to keep paying other studios for content and so that people keep subscribing to the platform. Netflix is playing the long game here which they can do because they are exclusively a streaming platform but traditional movie studios cannot do that.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2