google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

15 hours ago, grim22 said:

No movies will happen till 4th of July weekend. That feels like a good target for studios and the US government. Biden won't allow theaters to open up till 100 days at least which is first week of May, and audiences will take further time. 

Venom 2 will be the first movie back. I expect Black Widow to do the premier access thing and F&F to likely go to Christmas.

Biden does not have the power to close movie theaters. That is the call of the state and local officials.

43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Funny, in the US every expert is saying the worst lies ahead.

Nope. Those would be some pretty stupid experts.   

44 minutes ago, dudalb said:

False Optimism is , along with incredibly stupid leadership in the US< is what got us into this mess. We cannot afford it anymore.

False pessimism isn’t good either. I was more pessimistic than most last Spring, because that’s where the facts pointed if you examined them close. I was very pessimistic last summer, correctly. I was very pessimistic this fall/winter, correctly. I am not some “look on the bright side” kind of individual by general temperament.   

I’ve changed my tune because the facts have changed, and just like Q1 of last year it seems a lot of people are resistant to project how quickly exponential growth will chance the status quo. Then it was people underestimating the speed of the virus’s growth with R>1. Now it’s people underestimating the speed of recovery with R<1. Same basic principle, which human guts are not well-adapted to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

Seeing Andrew Lincoln talk in his british accent would be a little weird after watching him talk like Rick all these years.

How about an Australian accent? 

I hadn’t realised he’s barely done any other work during the run of TWD. By choice. 

48 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

How about an Australian accent? 

I hadn’t realised he’s barely done any other work during the run of TWD. By choice. 

Yeah because TWD films in rural Georgia as well so he had to be far away from his family for months on end every single year already. So I doubt he wanted to spend even more time away from them by doing other projects on top of TWD.

18 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Nope. Those would be some pretty stupid experts.   

False pessimism isn’t good either. I was more pessimistic than most last Spring, because that’s where the facts pointed if you examined them close. I was very pessimistic last summer, correctly. I was very pessimistic this fall/winter, correctly. I am not some “look on the bright side” kind of individual by general temperament.   

I’ve changed my tune because the facts have changed, and just like Q1 of last year it seems a lot of people are resistant to project how quickly exponential growth will chance the status quo. Then it was people underestimating the speed of the virus’s growth with R>1. Now it’s people underestimating the speed of recovery with R<1. Same basic principle, which human guts are not well-adapted to.

I think you're not taking the B117 mutation into account. It will become the dominant variant by spring and keep the infection number high everywhere.

23 minutes ago, DInky said:

I think you're not taking the B117 mutation into account. It will become the dominant variant by spring and keep the infection number high everywhere.

Hi new person (assuming you aren’t dubalb).   

I am taking B117 into account, it’s the only thing that might allow virus levels to be somewhat high in April.

41 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Hi new person (assuming you aren’t dubalb).   

I am taking B117 into account, it’s the only thing that might allow virus levels to be somewhat high in April.

I don't know who dubalb is. Been lurking on these forums for a while now and finally decided to make an account. Personally I think you're being way too optimistic but I guess we'll see in about 4 months.

• Like 1

Top 10 chart:

1.) The Marksman (Open) 2,018 theaters (+43)/3-day: $2.03M (-35%)/Total: $6.09M/Wk 2

2.) Croods: A New Age (Uni) 1,876 theaters (+21), 3-day: $1.82M (-9%)/Total: $41.8M/Wk 9

3.) Wonder Woman 1984 (WB) 2,013 theaters (-87)/$1.6M (-38%)/Total: $37.7M/Wk 5

4.) Monster Hunter (Sony) 1,661 theaters (-33) 3-day: $820K (-25%)/Total $10.1M/Wk 6

5.) News of the World (Uni) 1,874 theaters (-79), 3-day: $810 (-19%)/Total: $9.6M/Wk 5

6.) Fatale (Lionsgate) 1,130 theaters (-45), 3-day: $415K (-12%)/Total: $5.2M/Wk 6

7.) Promising Young Woman (Focus) 1,236 theaters (-97), 3-day: $400K (-10%)/ Total: $3.97M/Wk 5

8.) Our Friend (Gravitas) 543 theaters/3-day: $250K/Wk 1

9.) The War With Grandpa (101) 507 theaters (+85), 3-day: $164K (+1%)/Total: $19.4M/Wk 16

10.) Pinocchio (RSA) 602 screens (-58) 3-day $122,6K (-22%)/Total: $1.5M/Wk 5

‘The Marksman’ Holds No. 1 At Box Office As Studios Pull Q1 Movies – Deadline

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Monster Hunter holding well here. Will end up grossing around Bloodshot numbers. Wish Sony hadn't completely botched international distribution though or had at least given the film an early VOD release. Really wanted a sequel for this (espescially with that ending) but doubt that's happening.

Croods going to be a lot closer to Twnet than WW to Croods. Definitely the most impressive pandemic run so far.

Any news about AMC? I thought they were supposed to run out of money right about now.

2 hours ago, DInky said:

Any news about AMC? I thought they were supposed to run out of money right about now.

This week they announced they raised 100 million via a bond offering.  They are still looking at a secondary stock offering to raise another 150 million.   They are doing everything they can to keep the lights on but they are getting killed on interest and if movies don't come back will have trouble medium term servicing the debt.

Edited by jimisawesome
fix typos
  • Like 1

For UK folks:

Looks like we might genuinely be waiting a good while for likes of Nomadland or Promising Young Woman...

Theaters will open in almost every location within 90 days with no capacity limits

17 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Theaters will open in almost every location within 90 days with no capacity limits

So, you're betting on April 26, we'll have 4900 DOM theaters (or however many survived the shutdown) open at 100% seating with no masks and no additional procedures?

I mean, if you have masks, you aren't selling every seat b/c the popcorn police would have a coronary...so the bet is full normalcy DOM on April 26...yeah, I don't see it even if I expect the spring virus drop (which I do)...

And if they go that way, I don't see metro areas going to theaters b/c they won't yet be convinced that plan is safe...and with current vaccine shortages, Joe and Jane Normal won't yet be vaccinated...

But, it's a fun bet...if I were betting, my EARLIEST POSSIBLE normalcy date is Memorial Day weekend, my more likely possible date is July 4th weekend, and my latest date is Christmas 2021...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, you're betting on April 26, we'll have 4900 DOM theaters (or however many survived the shutdown) open at 100% seating with no masks and no additional procedures?

I mean, if you have masks, you aren't selling every seat b/c the popcorn police would have a coronary...so the bet is full normalcy DOM on April 26...yeah, I don't see it even if I expect the spring virus drop (which I do)...

And if they go that way, I don't see metro areas going to theaters b/c they won't yet be convinced that plan is safe...and with current vaccine shortages, Joe and Jane Normal won't yet be vaccinated...

But, it's a fun bet...if I were betting, my EARLIEST POSSIBLE normalcy date is Memorial Day weekend, my more likely possible date is July 4th weekend, and my latest date is Christmas 2021...

Almost like 80% of theaters that are choosing to reopen. Restrictions will plummet once we start pumping vaccines hard next month. 120 days is probably more accurate.

I suspect a lot of theaters will never reopen again.

Edited by cdsacken

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Markets have been crazy. #SaveAMC is also the number 1 trend in the US

• Like 2