google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

In a normal year, i would have seen  30 movies in average.

Unfortunately 2020 i have only seen 5... don't think i can see much more than that in 2021. However, it is good time for me to go back in time revisit some movies that come out in 1970s or 80s

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Just announced - UK cinemas reopening May 17 at the earliest, with drive-ins from April 12.

last straw for Black Widow to move - precluding an unliely D+ Premier Access launch? F9 may stay for Asia/Pacific and just delay in UK/Europe/US? And now that means GVK and Mortal Kombat are not happening theatrically at time of US/HBO Max drops.

Black Widow and Fast 9 will push back again within the next two weeks if we are still without dates to when both California and New York are reopening (which is likely). Maybe Black Widow will go for Shang-Chi's July 9 spot while that moves to like Labor Day weekend to try and make something out of that traditionally dead weekend for once.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Black Widow and Fast 9 will push back again within the next two weeks if we are still without dates to when both California and New York are reopening (which is likely). Maybe Black Widow will go for Shang-Chi's July 9 spot while that moves to like Labor Day weekend to try and make something out of that traditionally dead weekend for once.

Chuck E Cheese can reopen in NY on March 26th at 25% capacity.  Outdoor Amusement parks for some reason have to wait another couple weeks to open to 33% capacity.  No news on Movie Theaters.  At least CA has clear guidelines instead of this pull from stuff from my --- that is going on in the NY.  It seems likely that even if theaters open in NY in May it will be at most 25% capacity and its anyones guess when the capacity number will be allowed to rise as its not likes indoor dining or a retirement home.

8 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Chuck E Cheese can reopen in NY on March 26th at 25% capacity.  Outdoor Amusement parks for some reason have to wait another couple weeks to open to 33% capacity.  No news on Movie Theaters.  At least CA has clear guidelines instead of this pull from stuff from my --- that is going on in the NY.  It seems likely that even if theaters open in NY in May it will be at most 25% capacity and its anyones guess when the capacity number will be allowed to rise as its not likes indoor dining or a retirement home.

Gov. Cuomo is a moron (as this whole nursing home debacle is proving) but that's a completely different discussion for another thread.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Californian here.  There is a 0.0% chance of an actual date for major metropolitan areas having movie theaters back open here in the next two weeks.

As jimisawesome just alluded to, we have a pretty detailed good/no good policy here in the state and while we might be able to get a projected window of when a county might land in a lower tier due to trends that ain't an actual date.

Now the trend lines are very good at the moment.  But an actual date?  Don't see it.  Not locally at least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gov. Cuomo is a moron (as this whole nursing home debacle is proving) but that's a completely different discussion for another thread.

The shot I took at the very end is what you took from my post?  The 90% rest of my post is agreeing with you that F9 and BW are going to move as NY state still have not given guidance to theaters despite giving guidance to other amusement activities and also pointing out the realistic capacity limits that theaters will be looking at if and when they are ever allowed to reopen. 

41 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

The shot I took at the very end is what you took from my post?  The 90% rest of my post is agreeing with you that F9 and BW are going to move as NY state still have not given guidance to theaters despite giving guidance to other amusement activities and also pointing out the realistic capacity limits that theaters will be looking at if and when they are ever allowed to reopen. 

That was my point. With Andrew "movie theaters are less essential/higher risk" Cuomo being himself (and having other problems these days), it's unlikely we'll have a reopening date for NYC anytime soon (which of course won't be enough for studios to hold on to those May dates much longer).

Edit: just saw the Deadline article. I guess that's one less thing he has to worry about now lol.

Edited by filmlover

BTW even if theaters in those states are set to reopen in late March/early April that still won't be enough for Disney/Universal to avoid blinking back again due to marketing hurdles, even if it's a slight delay. Still thinking Black Widow goes to early July and causing Top Gun 2 and Minions 2 to head off to the holiday spots currently taken by Mission: Impossible 7 and Sing 2 (while those head off to next summer) as the first movie since the pandemic started (not counting Tenet's efforts in trying to start-up the marketplace again to no avail) to receive a major-ish marketing push.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

It's happening

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Monday said movie theaters in the city will be brought into line with the rest of New York State as of March 5, allowed to reopen at 25% capacity with no more than 50 people per screen, masks, social distancing and other protocols.

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

I hope people come back to the theaters, but also i hope cases don't skyrocket and force another shut down

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It's happening

Oh wow, in time for Raya. I expected that they would announce more like... GvK weekend.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Oh wow, in time for Chaos Walking.

Fixed that for ya. :P

I think that's the only movie set to come out the next two months that isn't doing a hybrid release lol.

• Haha 1

Ok I haven't been in a theater since Ip Man 4. It's been over 13 months. I'm so excited to finally be able to go to the movies again!

people are crazy to go back to theater before being vaccinated , chaos walking may be safe to go to because the theater will be empty though

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

people are crazy to go back to theater before being vaccinated ,

:whosad:

15 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

chaos walking may be safe to go to because the theater will be empty though

:hahaha:

• Like 1

I'm going to guess 4th of July for full capacity as I've been saying since the start. Maybe around Memorial Day for 50%.

LA will likely be Memorial Day for 25% and 4th for 75%.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm going to guess 4th of July for full capacity as I've been saying since the start. Maybe around Memorial Day for 50%.

LA will likely be Memorial Day for 25% and 4th for 75%.

That is probably about the correct time for when this should happen but given the details today its still pretty clear the actual evidence is still being ignored and decisions will be based on safety theater first and foremost.

Maybe I’ll be back in a theatre when I’m vaccinated and they have private rentals. Not till at least August-September here. 

• Like 1

Timing of the opening makes a lot of sense. Within the US, vaccines will be far enough along that you'll have people willing to go at reduced capacity. 

If people's experience is mainly positive (ie people are comfortable with the safety precautions) and word of mouth spreads, business should steadily grow as more people get vaccinated. 

Biggest challenge is that with kids not getting vaccinated soon, it may be adult skewing fare that performs better. 

• Like 1