google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Modern windows for a modern era. 90 days is plenty for blockbusters, runs are 99% wrapped by then.

Edited by WandaLegion

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I'M against these windows, but it's the new reality. 40 days is enough for mid budget movies. 90 is for blockbusters

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'M against these windows, but it's the new reality. 40 days is enough for mid budget movies. 90 is for blockbusters

this is the future, or really right now. though lower budget award contenders will probably still play longer in theaters 

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

this is future, or really right now. though lower budget award contenders will probably still play longer in theaters 

yeah and those are usually released in December when movies really benefit from legs. Can stay in theaters even after Oscars

22 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Apparently 30-45 days is the new norm for all releases in the UK (I’ve only seen one outlet reporting this though, so could be wrong), so I guess by this guys logic that’s theatrical exhibition dead on its face in the UK.

Cinemas would still survive with that kind of window, people will still want the big screen experience and it’ll just mean that more emphasis is placed on recliner screens and premium formats. People who wait 30+ days to see a film obviously weren’t that bothered about seeing it in a cinema anyway, all this window does is speed up the process of bringing films to the people would wait for Blu Ray/DVD/Digital anyway.

Aside from something like The Force Awakens or Endgame, most films are making peanuts after 30-45 days anyway. As an example, when Clint Eastwood’s Richard Jewell came out in the UK, it ran for literally 1 week in my city before Cineworld dropped it. A shorter window would be a godsend for that kind of release, as the current situation means that anybody who didn’t see the film during that week would then have to wait 4 months, by which point they’d probably have forgotten about its existence.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Btw, films like Top Gun 2 aren't mentioned here because they'll premiere on Epix Pay 1 first (around the same time I assume).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Btw, films like Top Gun 2 aren't mentioned here because they'll premiere on Epix Pay 1 first (around the same time I assume).

how is that possible?

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

how is that possible?

Guessing they renegotiated the licensing terms on some of these. A Quiet Place was likely the easiest one for the "45 day" deal since all of its marketing money for its original March release date last year went down the drain.

• Like 3

Terrible move....hope all the streamer start cannibalize each others

• Like 1

45 days is more aggressive, but movies don’t generally make much after their 7th weekend anyway. The big Q is where Disney settles at. PA after one month, and free on D+ after 4-6?

I wonder will there be any studio reverse back to 90days policy after the normal is back.  

12 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

45 days is more aggressive, but movies don’t generally make much after their 7th weekend anyway. The big Q is where Disney settles at. PA after one month, and free on D+ after 4-6?

Normally non-passionate fans or casual moviegoers who normally show up in the later run will skip going to theater  knowing the movie will come 45 or 90 days on streaming,

It may not be the shorter legs cut the exclusive theatrical window, it can be the other way round 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I wonder will there be any studio reverse back to 90days policy after the normal is back.  

I’d imagine all the studios are over the moon with this new window, they’ve been clamouring for shorter windows for years. The only party who is likely to be aggrieved by any of this is the exhibitors, but there’s nothing they can do to fight it as the last year has just exposed how utterly reliant they are on the studios. This will be the new normal, with only the biggest blockbusters remaining in cinemas for the full 90 day window.

I bet we’ll be seeing more deals like the Universal one where how long a film stays in theatres is tied to how high the opening weekend is.

18 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’d imagine all the studios are over the moon with this new window, they’ve been clamouring for shorter windows for years. The only party who is likely to be aggrieved by any of this is the exhibitors, but there’s nothing they can do to fight it as the last year has just exposed how utterly reliant they are on the studios. This will be the new normal, with only the biggest blockbusters remaining in cinemas for the full 90 day window.

I bet we’ll be seeing more deals like the Universal one where how long a film stays in theatres is tied to how high the opening weekend is.

If "meme stocks" continues all the studios might be at the mercy of AMC by the end of the summer if they ever want to have their movies shown in theaters again that is if AMC does not buy them all first.  (jokes)

• Haha 1

Not all these streaming services will survive and thrive (looking at you Paramount+) and studios will be severely sorry they destroyed theaters

LA is the key to all of this

For reference, current guidelines in CA are that theaters can reopen when a county moves to Red level. LA needs about a 40% further drop in infections, which might happen in a matter of weeks.

• Like 1