google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

“LA theaters open for GvK OD” might be a good club, will do some research.

• Like 1

Worth noting that Red tier here means 25% capacity, so basically what it was when TENET came out. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Worth noting that Red tier here means 25% capacity, so basically what it was when TENET came out. 

Yeah, orange would be better, and yellow better yet. However NYC is also just 25% iirc and that seems to be getting covered pretty much as “NYC starts to reopen.”     

25% isn’t that limiting either, when the marketplace is so dead that you can give like 70% of screens to one movie if it needs them.  

But yeah. Baby steps. 👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Yeah, orange would be better, and yellow better yet. However NYC is also just 25% iirc and that seems to be getting covered pretty much as “NYC starts to reopen.”     

25% isn’t that limiting either, when the marketplace is so dead that you can give like 70% of screens to one movie if it needs them.  

But yeah. Baby steps. 👍

Yeah, that's what happened here in Britain when Tenet opened. Most cinemas only had one screen during peak time that wasn't showing it. 

3 hours ago, lab276 said:

But no movies to take advantage of it :whosad:

What? Boss Level has just opened. 

8 hours ago, lab276 said:

But no movies to take advantage of it :whosad:

We need a movie that manage to open big and leg it out in this marketplace to rebuild public confidence in cinema going.

Kong Vs Godzilla would be a good choice and we still have one month to build vaccinated population

lol. The benefits of being the first family movie since Thanksgiving, I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Kid movie - they have been the obvious winners all during Covid...It's still less than WW and it will fall off a bigger cliff than Croods 2 b/c it's free, but this was a no-brainer.  

I've mentioned Peter Rabbit 2 should try to kickstart screens on May 7, bumping Black Widow out...last week:)...

PS - This is the "white moms are still not going signal" and that's bad for Cruella and lesser Black Widow (and any female skewing 25+ movie coming this spring) - Caucasian rate is still below the floor...and female to male rate is whack for this type of movie...

"Female-male ratio was 51% to 49% with 46% under 17 years old. Diversity turnout showed 35% Hispanic, 33% Caucasian, 21% African American and 11% Asian/Other."

PPS - And total market is probably still gonna be $20M or less for top 10 DOM, so it still hugely sucks:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Kid movie - they have been the obvious winners all during Covid...It's still less than WW and it will fall off a bigger cliff than Croods 2 b/c it's free, but this was a no-brainer.  

I've mentioned Peter Rabbit 2 should try to kickstart screens on May 7, bumping Black Widow out...last week:)...

PS - This is the "white moms are still not going signal" and that's bad for Cruella and lesser Black Widow (and any female skewing 25+ movie coming this spring) - Caucasian rate is still below the floor...and female to male rate is whack for this type of movie...

"Female-male ratio was 51% to 49% with 46% under 17 years old. Diversity turnout showed 35% Hispanic, 33% Caucasian, 21% African American and 11% Asian/Other."

PPS - And total market is probably still gonna be $20M or less for top 10 DOM, so it still hugely sucks:)...

Jeeeesus Christ man, this is the last straw 🤦‍♂️

I can’t take how bad your analysis on this topic is and am putting you on ignore for a few months for my own sanity and to improve the experience of everyone else in the thread by avoiding further back and forth between us

• Like 1

AMC at the very least needs to put their foot down and threaten no or reduced showing for any movie that pushes it date back again.  The vaccine is beyond a game changer even with the mess that is the rollout.  By pushing the dates again its studios telling the public yet again the theaters are not safe when now is the time for the studios to actually start pushing CInemasafe.  Even the CDC today finally upgraded indoor guidelines to match what AMC was doing last August.  Waiting is not making it any safer instead its just making people more comfortable staying home to watch movies or TV shows.   The only chance movies in the fall or summer have of making money is if movies come out in the spring and make people comfortable with the idea of going back. 

Tom & Jerry definitely feels like a case of right movie at the right time. FWIW it appears Raya won't be playing at a handful of chains next week (AMC is looking to be the only big one that will show it) for reasons currently unknown so T&J is looking to be the only family option at a lot of theaters for a while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

12.5 mil from a 4 mil opening day seems a bit high, no?

Not for a kid movie in normal times...now, for a kid movie in Covid that is released free on HBO Max, who knows?:)

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

12.5 mil from a 4 mil opening day seems a bit high, no?

UM ACKSHUALLY the 12.5M is for the 3-Day. And that's only behind Wonder Woman in terms of Roni openings, so that is pretty decent in our current time period

5 minutes ago, Eric and Jerry said:

UM ACKSHUALLY the 12.5M is for the 3-Day. And that's only behind Wonder Woman in terms of Roni openings, so that is pretty decent in our current time period

I mean, would a 4 mil OD lead to a 12.5 mil OW? Feels like this will be a bit more frontloaded with the HBO Max release and everything (worst thing about WB not releasing dailies is it's hard to do comps). Feels more like 10-11 mil OW, still putting it at 2nd place but below WB's weekend prediction.

Edited by lorddemaxus

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean, would a 4 mil OD lead to a 12.5 mil OW? Feels like this will be a bit more frontloaded with the HBO Max release and everything (worst thing about WB not releasing dailies is it's hard to do comps). Feels more like 10-11 mil OW, still putting it at 2nd place but below WB's weekend prediction.

So I thought you said 12.5M 4-Day, because I thought it was President's Day weekend. My dumbass brain has rotted since quarantine.

To actually answer your question...I dunno man. War with Grandpa did 3.3x off its OD for its OW, so I guess maybe it will move down?

20-25m opening for GvK maybe? Should be more open by then. Good news for Black Widow.