DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

It will be hilarious to see WB suddenly taking back the day-to-date strategy for GvK if improvement persisted.

Also, maybe it is time for us to consider what would be an appropriate timing to resume weekend thread. Can't remember how long ago I saw a weekend thread 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It will be hilarious to see WB suddenly taking back the day-to-date strategy for GvK if improvement persisted.

Also, maybe it is time for us to consider what would be an appropriate timing to resume weekend thread. Can't remember how long ago I saw a weekend thread 

I think next weekend makes sense for a thread.

Just imagine that this is considered a successful opening weekend.

And people think that Disney is actually going to release any Marvel movies with anywhere remotely close to these returns is out of there minds.

Are these numbers great for what movie theaters have now become, absolutely. But if this is enough for Disney to release Marvel films or any company to release big budget films in theaters is insane.

That's the whole problem, no matter how long you're holding on to the movie, you're going to lose money. That's just the truth. Now the question is how much are you willing to hold the money to try to lose as small amount of money even though holding the movie just makes it even more expensive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
43 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

34 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I think next weekend makes sense for a thread.

Yeah maybe I'll start things up next weekend depending on how strong the numbers are and if I believe there will be a lot of discussion. It's kind of hard to judge still since the next two March weekends have nothing coming out, so who knows if there will be much discussion if any that it would make this stuff worth it. At the very least, weekend threads will start back in earnest once Black Widow drops

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I did some research - worst 2019 weekend for DOM Top 10 was Feb 1-3 (I gotta think weather played some role, b/c I was really thinking Labor Day or weekend after Thanksgiving would win...but it was Feb 1-3).

DOM Top 10 was $52.087M and overall DOM weekend was $73.462M (thank you Xmas movie holdovers and Oscar contenders for holding up the 2nd 10:)...

I think that's gotta be the goal number for the Top 10 DOM market for Easter weekend or at least by end of April for some weekend...75% or more of markets/theaters will be open (more than likely), but most will still be under seating constraints...if the market can't get there by the end of April, we may be in for a longer recovery than wanted...

I mean, Deadline says Warner said this, but not when they said it, or how over 10K rentals they were...even at the lowest rental rate (Cinemark's $149) and only 10K, that's $1.5M of the revenue as the floor...and many rentals are $189-$199 and more than 10K is more than 10K and less than probably 50K:)

"Warners observes there was a big number of private party theatrical auditorium rentals by families. Warners says Tom & Jerry has over 10k auditorium bookings to date."

https://deadline.com/2021/02/tom-jerry-weekend-box-office-opening-pandemic-1234702484/

10K is a pretty big number. Not at all surprised that private watch parties were so popular for this.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Nah they're not dead. people are still scared. but they are starting to come out more. well we ever see pre covid numbers again ? I don't know. but there are already signs of recovery. by 2023, maybe 2022. theaters should be if not completely recovered, well on their way too it. 

I haven't gone to theaters much since they opened here in Sept. but there isn't much to watch thb. and I am busier now too. I do plan on seeing all the big stuff in theaters though.

Seeing the strong performance of T&J even with mixed word of mouth has me hopeful we can see next weekend be something like:

Raya $20m+
Chaos Walking $8m+ 

T&J 2nd weekend $5m+

If we can get a weekend at least close to those numbers I think that will set a good foundation for the domestic box office for the next couple of months until we get the first batch of big releases in May/June. 

Edited by Jamiem
40 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Seeing the strong performance of T&J even with mixed word of mouth has me hopeful we can see next weekend be something like:

Raya $20m+
Chaos Walking $8m+ 

T&J 2nd weekend $5m+

If we can get a weekend at least close to those numbers I think that will set a good foundation for the domestic box office for the next couple of months until we get the first batch of big releases in May/June. 

I agree with this. Nobody will probably hit 10-12M when it opens in a few weeks, then GVK can do at least a 30-35M 5 day.

Matching or exceeding what Tom & Jerry did this weekend would be pretty good for Raya considering its theater count is looking certain to be smaller (Harkins is also not showing it in addition to Cinemark although they only have like 30-35 theaters across 4 states).

• Like 1

From the Morgan Stanley conference with Chapek that I don't have access to, seems like Disney is going to be shortening windows in some way as well which isn't shocking. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Wonder if that’s 30-45 days to free or 30-45 to PA. Latter makes  a lot of sense imo, former would be quite aggressive.

Not confirmed to be 30-45 days I think he said and I'm paraphrasing here that people are more impatient and won't wait months with theatrical being the only distribution. So could be an extra charge on Disney+ or go straight to it after a shortened window (who knows if that is 60 days, 30 days, 45 days or what length it will be.)

edit: found better tweet explaining it 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 2

I prefer a more flexible 8-12 weeks theatrical window, depending how a film performing from time to time,

Anything less than 6 weeks is way too short and we would likely see more and more one/two week run as it drive away people who plan to see it on 3rd or 4th week or so to streaming

1 minute ago, jatvision said:

What is the status of theaters in DOM now?

Like CA is fully closed? Canada closed? Rest all open? Ocuppancy status?

Bits of California are open. The great bulk of theaters are still closed, though. 

• Like 1