DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

22 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Finally found a public facing tracker for vaccines to HP1: https://covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/#California-vaccines-dashboard  

With a little sleuthing around on the way back machine, I see:
Mar 6 -  1.846M

Mar 8 — 1.897M

Mar 10 — 1.972M

Mar 12 — 2.017M

Mar 13 — 2.142M (+296k weekly)
Mar 14 — 2.219M

Mar 16 — 2.394M

Mar 18 — 2.567M

March 20 — 2.757M (+613k weekly)   

We saw a huge acceleration this week to get to roughly a 88k 7-day avg (data as of 2 days ago, which is the most recent). If that pace is merely sustained, then the 4M benchmark would actually be hit on April 3rd — GvK’s Sat! That will take most counties to orange or yellow tier and presumably prompt the release of a larger update to the framework in early April.

@Porthos

Even if it is hit on a Sat or Sun, the state's official declaration when it comes to counties qualifying under a new tier designation usually isn't blasted out until their Tuesday update.

For instance, even though we figured out a few days ahead of time that Sacramento would qualify for the new tier status thanks to the state hitting 2m vacs in that catagory, the official clearance from the state to reopen up/change tiers didn't come until the following Tuesday.

(and I still wonder if it won't just be easier for theaters to reset their code on the Friday turnover)

Still, a day here or a day there doesn't truly matter in the grand scheme of things.  Well, unless one is in a club where a lot of things need to go right, that is. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Is it realistic to hope them to happen by 31st? Or I am just too greedy? Getting Regal back online is unlikely but at least AMC and CInemark can quickly double up their capacity

If it accelerates further it could happen by then, but the jump was so huge that I wonder if some reporting quirks could be at work and we see it fall to like 500k/wk for the 21st-27th. I think realistically the tier changes from hitting 4M will likely take effect on Apr 7 (with theaters possibly not changing seating policy until Apr 9) but we’ll see.   

Could help out the 2nd weekend hold a bit, I guess?

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

If it accelerates further it could happen by then, but the jump was so huge that I wonder if some reporting quirks could be at work and we see it fall to like 500k/wk for the 21st-27th. I think realistically the tier changes from hitting 4M will likely take effect on Apr 7 (with theaters possibly not changing seating policy until Apr 9) but we’ll see.   

Could help out the 2nd weekend hold a bit, I guess?

How I wish I can be the nurse to administer those vaccine  that I probably speed up too much and mistakenly use the same needle in the process.

I hope for big number that give market confidence, 2nd week great hold doesn't make that headline impact as much as big opening.

A studio has to take a risk first to find out if people are ready to return. As it is, everything is either streaming simultaneously, a movie dumped with no marketing or awareness like Chaos Walking, or a tiny indie. We may not see a real opening until Black Widow, if Disney sticks to their plan. 

Are Warner Bros still not going to properly update their numbers?

Every other studio is doing it now. To have no variance between estimates and actuals is a farce. 

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's funny.  I was just thinking today how fucking strange it was that Regal wasn't opening for GvK. 

Did think they might be worried about a fourth wave (there are some signs a real rise in cases might be developing, emphasis on might).  But that really was the only thing I could think of: Not wanting to start-stop-start-stop.

*reads article*

I see it won't be in time for OD on Wed but will be for Fri in some locations.  Makes sense given how chains like to set schedules on Fridays.  Should help with the weekend internal at the very least.  Depending on how much word gets out, that is.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

"Then, beginning in 2022, Warner Bros theatrical releases will have a 45-day window of theatrical exclusivity at Cineworld’s Regal chain in the U.S."

Good to see that Warner are sticking to their word and going back to theatrical exclusivity, 45 day window seems to becoming the norm.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

"Then, beginning in 2022, Warner Bros theatrical releases will have a 45-day window of theatrical exclusivity at Cineworld’s Regal chain in the U.S."

Good to see that Warner are sticking to their word and going back to theatrical exclusivity, 45 day window seems to becoming the norm.

Maybe they will go to 60 days in 2022, but one thing for sure 90days is  gone forever

Great news for Cineworld today, as with Regal above. All WB movies being shown in the cinema for a month. 

Sooooo much better than Disney putting their shit exclusively on streaming.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Oh, that’s a biggun 

@Menor, am I remembering correctly that this will be good for you?

Well my home county already opened up to everyone. But I am in NJ until May, so neither that nor this will directly affect me.

• Like 2

A few CA counties got shifted to the Orange tier just now.  Most of them are in the Bay Area, but one of them, Yolo County, is one I partially track.  I'll keep an eye on it to see if/when theaters raise the cap to 50% seating/200 people for it.

EDIT::: CA's website hasn't been updated yet, but here are the new movements for Cali:

Shifted to Red:

Kern

Nevada

Stanislaus

Shifted to Orange:

Lassen

Marin

San Francisco

Santa Clara

Trinity

Yolo

Big news here is San Fran, Marin, and Santa Clara.  Stanislaus is reasonably important as well, as it has Modesto and surrounding cities amounting to a little more than 500k people.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

I could’ve understood them doing this in May, but July seems odd. Guess they’re nervous about the Europe situation in regards to third waves.

Yeah but a staggered release is hardly unprecedented. This smells of overcautiousness to me. 

• Like 1

Biggest bombshell since the WB 2021 hybrid news, and a real blow to exhibition hopes. It will be interesting to see the scheduling ripples that result. Now that Q3 and Q4 are even more stuffed, will some studios take advantage by moving to June? Go to 2022? Or just suck up the completion extravaganza and hope for the best.   

Luca going the Soul model is especially bonkers here. 

I guess Disney really wanted to play things safe and aim for a strong global conditions. On the upside I guess BW 1B is a go again.   

What!s the biggest domestic movie in the first half of the year now? F9 I guess. Not sold on it cracking 200 in normal times, and I don’t think it’s coming out early enough to be a big reopening event. 

Apparently I’m not very good at predicting what Disney will do with BW, but you’ve really gotta think that by early June, with Cruella data and general reopening data, Disney is gonna be really kicking themself over this July hybrid idea. Hopefully Feige can flex a little and get them to change it back.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Biggest bombshell since the WB 2021 hybrid news, and a real blow to exhibition hopes. It will be interesting to see the scheduling ripples that result. Now that Q3 and Q4 are even more stuffed, will some studios take advantage by moving to June? Go to 2022? Or just suck up the completion extravaganza and hope for the best.   

Luca going the Soul model is especially bonkers here. 

I guess Disney really wanted to play things safe and aim for a strong global conditions. On the upside I guess BW 1B is a go again.   

What!s the biggest domestic movie in the first half of the year now? F9 I guess. Not sold on it cracking 200 in normal times, and I don’t think it’s coming out early enough to be a big reopening event. 

Black Widow 1bn is dead you mean.