DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Apparently I’m not very good at predicting what Disney will do with BW, but you’ve really gotta think that by early June, with Cruella data and general reopening data, Disney is gonna be really kicking themself over this July hybrid idea. Hopefully Feige can flex a little and get them to change it back.

agreed its not like, they cant change it again lol,but for real hopefully by then more big movies like kong will have released so we will havve a better idea

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

There’s a gaping hole on the schedule now for a movie to capitalize on low competition in early May. Curious what will take it. Probably something fairly DOM heavy.

I'd love Venom to move up anywhere into May/June, since it's a DOM/Asian market heavy movie - I think they'll think about it pending Kong vs Godzilla numbers, especially those out of Asia...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd love Venom to move up anywhere into May/June, since it's a DOM/Asian market heavy movie - I think they'll think about it pending Kong vs Godzilla numbers, especially those out of Asia...

I'm totally pro Kong btw. 

In retrospect Disney's recent discussions about shortened windows and how they were adamant about Black Widow staying put in May should have been a sign that they were working on the deals for these movies (as opposed to just surprising everyone like WB did). Wouldn't be surprised if they were able to work it out with Kevin Feige on the condition that it be moved to a more financially viable spot while keeping the rest of the MCU slate theatrical, especially when that movie was always a more "expendable" project given its prequel nature as opposed to something more meaningful like Shang-Chi.

For all we know it might be Pixar's idea that their movies that have skipped theaters be released without PA.

• Like 1

Black Widow‘s move from May 7 to July 9 also leaves the summer box office season without a kickoff and reverts the start of the period back to its former stomping ground of Memorial Day weekend, which is where Paramount’s A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are facing off. I’m told by many distributors this morning that it’s unlikely any event films will move up to the first weekend of May given marketing departments’ short turnaround to get materials out, not to mention foreign markets’ closures. Some exhibitors believe that a studio like Paramount, which has A Quiet Place Part II already lined up, could likely move up and take the first weekend of May given all the promotion that’s been out there for the film since last year.

Disney’s Day-And-Date ‘Black Widow’ & ‘Cruella’ Decision Sends Shockwaves – Deadline

Also says that it's going to be harder this time around for theaters to boycott either Black Widow or Cruella like they did with Raya. Worth a read.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney’s Day-And-Date ‘Black Widow’ & ‘Cruella’ Decision Sends Shockwaves – Deadline

Also says that it's going to be harder this time around for theaters to boycott either Black Widow or Cruella like they did with Raya. Worth a read.

It says that, but I think Cruella is an easy, easy skip for Cinemark and Regal (and even AMC, but they won't).  I've said that movie looks bad enough that it should be D+ free from the beginning, and it has another big opener that weekend, so no need to screen 2 openers if we're still in tighter market restrictions.

What the article should read is "it will be harder to skip Black Widow"...but if Disney sees numbers for Cruella like it did for Raya, and yet other studios are starting to deliver real box office results, well, it will also be harder for Disney to keep screwing theaters...

It's probably one reason Disney flipped BW later...they are really hoping the consumer bails them out to the theaters and brings the pressure onto theaters...but if the consumer gives another "I don't care" to Cruella, Disney might be forced into a last second rethink.

I mean, they do have Black Widow following another family movie which should never be big, but just might be, ala Raya following Tom & Jerry...worse if Venom starts getting thoughts that maybe it should move back into the summer game, now that Disney has moved to the fall...

Edited by TwoMisfits
9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It says that, but I think Cruella is an easy, easy skip for Cinemark and Regal (and even AMC, but they won't).  I've said that movie looks bad enough that it should be D+ free from the beginning, and it has another big opener that weekend, so no need to screen 2 openers if we're still in tighter market restrictions.

What the article should read is "it will be harder to skip Black Widow"...but if Disney sees numbers for Cruella like it did for Raya, and yet other studios are starting to deliver real box office results, well, it will also be harder for Disney to keep screwing theaters...

It's probably one reason Disney flipped BW later...they are really hoping the consumer bails them out to the theaters and brings the pressure onto theaters...but if the consumer gives another "I don't care" to Cruella, Disney might be forced into a last second rethink.

I mean, they do have Black Widow following another family movie which should never be big, but just might be, ala Raya following Tom & Jerry...worse if Venom starts getting thoughts that maybe it should move back into the summer game, now that Disney has moved to the fall...

I'm actually excited for Cruella heh. It seems more unique than most of these Disney re-imaginings have turned out to be and Stone looks like she's having the time of her life in the part, which is really all that matters.

Not sure what Disney is expecting from it in terms of money though, since it's much less of a CGI affair and is clearly aiming for a more teenage-and-older audience (hence the PG-13 rating).

Edited by filmlover

On another point, July is loaded for movies...somebody is gonna want to come forward to not have to brave the guantlet.

If I'm Sony, and I'm sitting on a sweet, quaint princess movie that will never sell in that gauntlet, but may be a nice Mother's Day weekend and a sweet, safe retelling of an old story...well, I thought Venom should revisit an earlier summer move, but maybe Sony should also look at putting out a family friendly movie for May on Black Widow's old spot...it's perfectly themed, unless it's some dark, horrific reimagining...and it will run for a long time...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Black Widow moving to July and Luca abandoning theaters altogether has definitely created a hole in the schedule. Maybe Sony will move Ghostbusters back up to summer. It's gonna be amusing whenever that comes out and we see Finn Wolfhard and Mckenna Grace appearing significantly older from when they shot the movie during the press rounds.

• Like 1

Moderation

You can critique Disney's practices. You can even go after people's supposed hypocrisies on this forum (despite the fact that people are more than happy to call out Disney for their Premier Access decisions and treatment of movie theaters)

But please don't go into crazy extremes or hyperbole. This is a forum for grown-ups, so we expect you to behave like some.

• Like 4

Well, they can't really see my post to know what you're talking about anymore. 

I wouldn't say it's hyperbole though. Disney consigned decades of American culture to oblivion when they prematurely lobbied the corrupt American Congress to perpetuate copyright because of the threat of Mickey Mouse becoming part of the public domain years into the future.

The idea of copyright was never to allow corporations to have never-ending copyright on dead people's work but like most of modern America, corporations have bastardized the law and its original intent all in the pursuit of $. When it comes down to it, whatever stance makes them more $ is the stance they will take. Don't kid yourself that they have any morals. Actually what am I saying, it already happened with Disney, Mulan and the ongoing Xinjiang genocide. 

I think it's kind of reductionist to conflate criticism of Disney with fanboy wars. Maybe on a forum like this, that's how it all ends up, but me criticizing Disney is not to then big up another company. Disney is the honey pot for fanboys because they own virtually every fanboy property that exists. The same fanboys then act similar to any other cult in denying all criticism. What is unfortunate is that all the brands have suddenly become aliases for Disney as a whole, so valid criticism of Disney suddenly becomes an attack on Marvel etc. - which is beyond ridiculous. 

The American corporation worship is a cancer and it's extended its claws to many areas of the globe already. 

Well dang, now I feel like I’m really missing out on whatever happened here 😂

Anyway, don’t exactly need a Deadline article to tell us that skipping BW would be harder than skipping Raya.   

Cruella... I dunno... never seemed that big to me. If I was an exhibitor I might try to coordinate some hardball there and try to make its numbers as bad as possible.

• Like 1

@BK007

Just letting you know that if you think I was too harsh on your warning or that we're all Disney shills simply because I called you out for saying "[Disney] would roll out an ad backing the Atlanta terrorist if it meant more money for them", just a reminder that you don't have to post here. There are plenty of other forums on the Internet where you can complain about Disney.

• Like 1

There is a tagline in china box office thread, saying "I am from the future, you should go to china". After seeing all the 700-800m grosses from china, even a rerelease can do 55m there, the trend is clear.

So it is safe to say here in USA, studio are abandoning future.

7 minutes ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

@BK007

Just letting you know that if you think I was too harsh on your warning or that we're all Disney shills simply because I called you out for saying "[Disney] would roll out an ad backing the Atlanta terrorist if it meant more money for them", just a reminder that you don't have to post here. There are plenty of other forums on the Internet where you can complain about Disney.

I mean, it's not really calling me out is it? It's your opinion that the statement is too harsh, and mine that it isn't.

After all, they did thank the Xinjiang government for help with filming Mulan and tried their best to pander to the CCP and still got rejected by the Chinese audience. All that for nothing and yet they still did it because they thought they'd be swimming in $.

You could make an argument that Disney is the top virtue signaller since Mulan was rejected for a complete misunderstanding of the audience. They did fire James Gunn for bad jokes. They still don't let Song of the South be seen. They did edit out Karen complaints of perceived phallus shaped objects in The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and who knows what else. Disney Parks employees are still treated badly. They were part of the wage-fixing cartel for their own animators. 

The idea that people won't be willing to watch movies in theaters once the country is vaccinated is 100% bullshit. If Feige said that, fuck him. 

13 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

The idea that people won't be willing to watch movies in theaters once the country is vaccinated is 100% bullshit. If Feige said that, fuck him. 

I highly doubt anyone is thinking that lol.

The reality is that Black Widow was weeks from opening when the world fell apart and had already blown a good portion of its marketing budget (multiple trailers, a cover story on Entertainment Weekly that came out the same time it was first delayed, multiple merchandise items released - COVID has just fucked over licensing deals in general), and with studios starting to purge their closets of the finished movies they've been sitting on as production has restarted and the backlog begins to grow, they probably figured this was an easy one to take the L on (which it sort of is as a one-off prequel of sorts) as the industry continues to attempt navigating the road to recovery. It's unfortunate for the people who worked on the movie (this goes for every movie that ended up a victim of an unforeseen situation and just plain bad luck), but it's easy to see how at some point you need to just cut your losses and move on.

The real bombshell in all of this is that Luca will be bypassing theaters completely without any PA paywall. Soul going that route made sense since they knew they could get away with it because it would qualify for awards regardless because of the rule changes, but with no one knowing what next year's Oscar rules will look like yet, this is a really bold move.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:15 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Wait. Feige said that and why didn't we paid enough attention to it.

It's not actually true. Movie nights are great date nights. Streaming makes that impossible.

I do think classic theaters besides $1 theaters should probably start closing. Need to establish a bigger difference between home and movies but I exempt the 1/2 screen independent theaters. Can't wait for mine it's only a 3 min drive (20 min walk) away

On 3/23/2021 at 9:43 PM, tonytr87 said:

Think of this like all jobs are WFH home it's the future bullshit. About 5-10% are. Another 30% give or take fully hybrid. The remaining 60% zero WFH. Same thing you hear you about people staying Bitcoin will become the world currency.