DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

This is International rather than US but the delta variant has made it through China's really strong containment procedures and is now spreading in that country. They have already introduced mass travel restrictions. A handful of cities have been placed on lockdowns. It sounds like they are prepared to do just about anything to try to keep it from exploding in Beijing since it is supposed to host the Winter Olympics in 2022.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/04/china/china-delta-outbreaks-intl-hnk/index.html

I guess we'll see if this starts to impact the Chinese Theater market.

The Evan Hansen delay is probably Australia-specific since they're probably going to be on lockdown for a while. If it was global, a trade like Deadline would have reported on it.

I can't help but think that the "health pass" concept implemented by various goverments around the world might prevent kids from going into theaters until they're vaccinated, which might explain why Paramount pulled Clifford. If they can't find space for it, then I can see them dumping it on Paramount+ sometime after Paw Patrol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Consumer Comfort Levels Fall Amid Renewed COVID-19 Worries

The moviegoing comfort level fell even further by Aug. 1 to 70 percent as delta continued to make headlines, an updated NRG report found. The 11-point decline from 81 percent on July 11 was the fastest the entertainment research firm had seen since the start of the pandemic in March and April of 2020. And when asked why they weren’t “very comfortable” going to a movie theater, 52 percent of consumers cited the spread of new COVID19 variants, while another 42 percent said they’re “very concerned” about the spread of delta, up from 34 percent the week before.

Moms appeared to be the most concerned about taking a trip to the multiplex, with their comfort index tumbling from 75 percent to 59 percent.

Nor are studio executives flipping the emergency switch. Epidemiologists consulting with studios are saying that the delta variant could spike in August, with the situation improving in September.

The speed of that improvement is the big question.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/delta-variant-disrupts-moviegoing-comfort-levels-1234992378/

• Like 1
4 hours ago, imbruglia said:

Consumer Comfort Levels Fall Amid Renewed COVID-19 Worries

The moviegoing comfort level fell even further by Aug. 1 to 70 percent as delta continued to make headlines, an updated NRG report found. The 11-point decline from 81 percent on July 11 was the fastest the entertainment research firm had seen since the start of the pandemic in March and April of 2020. And when asked why they weren’t “very comfortable” going to a movie theater, 52 percent of consumers cited the spread of new COVID19 variants, while another 42 percent said they’re “very concerned” about the spread of delta, up from 34 percent the week before.

Moms appeared to be the most concerned about taking a trip to the multiplex, with their comfort index tumbling from 75 percent to 59 percent.

Nor are studio executives flipping the emergency switch. Epidemiologists consulting with studios are saying that the delta variant could spike in August, with the situation improving in September.

The speed of that improvement is the big question.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/delta-variant-disrupts-moviegoing-comfort-levels-1234992378/

Unfortunately you have to assume that those numbers will continue to decline for probably another month at least. We have to get past the worst of the current breakout first and then it could be a couple of weeks after that for confidence to start to rebound (that tends to lag some).

Yeah there’s a good chance we peak in the next two weeks, but I don’t expect that to really seep into the public consciousness until perhaps mid Sep unfortunately.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Yeah there’s a good chance we peak in the next two weeks, but I don’t expect that to really seep into the public consciousness until perhaps mid Sep unfortunately.

Imo as long as nothing as drastic like lockdown happen i think that if us peak by mid aug then by early sept confidence will pick up again ( personally i dont think that these polls really reflect reality but i guess we will find out soon enough)

• Like 1

America is way too short-sighted. Nobody can take short term pain so instead things get dragged on forever. 

Mandate vaccines and stop covid, but nope "muh freedom" nuts will continue to refuse, get sick and die - and that's if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, they will be covid lab rats and something even deadlier might be around the corner and then what? 

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

James Bond sequel “No Time to Die,”

Tom Cruise’s “Top Gun: Maverick”

Marvel’s “Eternals.”

Villeneuve’s “Dune”

What to do, what to do…start 100% theatrical with streaming later? Premium access out the gate? Does exclusive theatrical release incur significant printing/digital costs that make it even more of a money loser. I’m beginning to think a simultaneous theatrical + premium access release strategy makes the most financial sense for the fall blockbusters.  Hate to say it. 

The unvaccinated will simply not go to restaurants and movies. No biggie. You shouldn’t force people to get vaccines (this is from someone who is a strong advocate for vaccinations). I’m speaking from the American perspective. Other countries can do what they want. Don’t really care. I’d rather we live with the pandemic than face a slippery slope: 

It's just a mask 

It's just a vaccine 

It's just a few more months of lockdowns since the Trump supporters won't take it 

It's just a card so you can prove you have the vaccine to get in places <----- WE ARE HERE

It's just a tracking device so we know who has the vaccine

It's just tracking poor behaviour like jaywalking or littering or rewarding people for shopping more at minority owned restaurants  

It's just shutting down the most pollution heavy industries to get the climate change crisis under control

It's just a fine for driving too much and passing your pollution limit for the week.

It’s just a requirement for employment that you sign this letter affirming that diversity in all its…*cough*…forms is something to be cherished and celebrated 

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 5
5 minutes ago, lilmac said:

James Bond sequel “No Time to Die,”

Tom Cruise’s “Top Gun: Maverick”

Marvel’s “Eternals.”

Villeneuve’s “Dune”

What to do, what to do…start 100% theatrical with streaming later? Premium access out the gate? Does exclusive theatrical release incur significant printing/digital costs that make it even more of a money loser. I’m beginning to think a simultaneous theatrical + premium access release strategy makes the most financial sense for the fall blockbusters.  Hate to say it. 

Dune is already a streaming movie, WB probably paid Legendary well 

15 hours ago, lilmac said:

The unvaccinated will simply not go to restaurants and movies. No biggie. You shouldn’t force people to get vaccines (this is from someone who is a strong advocate for vaccinations). I’m speaking from the American perspective. Other countries can do what they want. Don’t really care. I’d rather we live with the pandemic than face a slippery slope: 

It's just a mask 

It's just a vaccine 

It's just a few more months of lockdowns since the Trump supporters won't take it 

It's just a card so you can prove you have the vaccine to get in places <----- WE ARE HERE

It's just tracking poor behaviour like jaywalking or littering or rewarding people for shopping more at minority owned restaurants  

It's just shutting down the most pollution heavy industries to get the climate change crisis under control

It's just a fine for driving too much and passing your pollution limit for the week.

It’s just a requirement for employment that you sign this letter affirming that diversity in all its…*cough*…forms is something to be cherished and celebrated 

Give me a fucking break. Getting a safe, effective vaccine for the safety of your community isn't an infringement on personal liberties. Vaccines have been required for schools and workplaces for generations in America, and once the COVID vaccines get full approval in a few weeks, they'll join the list. 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 14
15 hours ago, lilmac said:

Does exclusive theatrical release incur significant printing/digital costs that make it even more of a money loser.

Would have if print were still popular, but in today world it is just some licensing cost going to theater to convince them to transfer if those deals were still in place.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Vaccines have been required for schools and workplaces for generations in America, and once the COVID vaccines get full approval in a few weeks, they'll join the list. 

Never have been in Canada (at least school) I think, one would have expected the other way around one if that the case in the US, 2 province had some mandate for child vaccine for public school but stuff like ideology or religion were accepted reason for not being vaccinated.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Getting a safe, effective vaccine for the safety of your community isn't an infringement on personal liberties.

Well yes if you are forced to do something like getting a vaccine for your work, it is an infringement on personal liberties (like Americans having to wear seatbelt, cannot buy a new car without an airbags, cannot drink in public in most municipality and make noise past 10:00pm also are), the question is about being a reasonable or unreasonable one.

• Like 1

San Francisco to Require Vaccine for Indoor Activities

By  18 Comments

“San Francisco will become the first major city in the country to require proof of full vaccination against the coronavirus for a variety of indoor activities, including going into bars, restaurants and gyms,” the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Article doesn't confirm, but this is sure to include movie theaters.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, lilmac said:

It's just a mask 

It's just a vaccine 

The reason why USA is quickly losing its superpower status in the nutshell. The end of US's regime as the strongest nation in the world cannot be more evident. You can Blame China of course for everything but American can only blame itself for failing to defend their top 1 position.