DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

I've decided that the 2021 #1 Villain spot is now a LEGACY spot 🙂.

Queen Ravenna 😂...Meredith Vickers 😂...Fury-osa 😂...Cipher 😂...many other memorable roles, including anti-heroes!

It means that as of this date, mid-august, the #1 Villain spot is no longer up for contention 🙂. Your villain of 2021 is Charlize Theron's Cipher 🙂

Notable upcoming villains such as Michael Myers and Woody Harrelson's Carnage will now be vying for the runner-up spot 🙂

Edited by OdinSon2k14

Cinema reopening in September in Sydney is looking less likely now.

It did seem possible they might reopen for vaccinated people.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:03 AM, AJG said:

Adding sentimentality to the products of mega corporations is funny.

That's all processed food products are to PepsiCo, now...a  "data point."  🤷‍♂️🙄 

...Or is that all that QUAKER OATS is to them?

Hey, I'm as cyinical about the business as anyone else, and honestly Shang-Chi doesn't look any more compelling to me than any of the recent Marvel stuff.  But you can see how Simu Liu took these words over the weekend, as well.  Better language could have been used regardless, especially when you're dealing with not only A) an unprecedented situation where any movie of a significant budget faces an uphill battle at the box office to be called "successful" and B ) Said movie features significant Asian/Asian-American representation, a key issue in the western public consciousness lately concerning the continued ill treatment of them.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

went to a theater and it looked like a ghost town, but the super market across the street was packed

Might have something to do with people have to eat, but they don't have to go to movies.....

CDC says the Covid resurgance has not peaked yet. Not good news.

As for the indiividuals with the  "It's my right not to wear a mask and not go get vaccinated" my answer is

A.You are incredibly selfish and

B.Your right to swing your arm ends where my face begins. When you endanger others, it;s no longer your business.

C.As for the slipprey slope argument, what next? Speed Limits and Stop Lights are endangering my right to drive, we are on a slippery slope.

• Like 2
Just now, wildphantom said:

Where was that? 

I'd say every cheap Tuesday I've been to this summer:) - my last 3 opening Tuesday showings at a cheap Tuesday theater had me in 250 seat theaters with 24 (Space Jam 2), 8 (Snake Eyes), and 16 (The Suicide Squad)...

If there's anything that shows the biggest difference between Feb 2020 and this summer, it's the difference of cheap Tuesday going from Saturday crowds to ghost town crowds...

• Like 1

So I've been to theatres multiple times so far since Godzilla and it's been fine for me. I think F9 or maybe it was Black Widow show was pretty much packed but that was in a Dolby theatre at AMC Thursday night show. That was when occupancy restrictions were lifted 100%. I did find a new theatre to visit locally that had the unfortunate circumstance of getting built just before the big V. I watched Jungle Cruise there...it's called Flix Brewhouse. It's one of those dine in "premium" type of theatres. I enjoyed the experience and the film. I also enjoyed how they would show clips from older films instead of bombarding you with ads. Another good thing was there was a Warren theatre that got foreclosed on post V and thankfully Regal bought it and I've been able to watch a couple films there recently as well. Suicide Squad and Old. I'm just happy the building got purchased because that theatre was only about 6 months old when the V shut it down. 

• Like 1

So HT4 being sold off for only $100m. Do we think that that's a good deal for Sony?

Apparently it only cost $65m which is dirt cheap for CGI films - not that the HT films have ever looked good. I never watched any of them but the trailers look awful. 

If so, Sony is basically taking $35m - I guess there's the marketing cost, though not sure how much they did advertise. Seems pretty damn bad to accept only $35m for one of their few franchises. But then, no CGI animated film has managed to cross $60m since the pandemic started so perhaps it is a good deal.

That said, the 3rd made $361m abroad ($528m total)...

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

‘Venom 2,’ ‘No Time to Die’ Release Dates: Will Studios Blink? – The Hollywood Reporter

They mention that No Time to Die is likely staying where it is (since it's already a sunk cost anyway due to all the delays).

at this moment any more delays are stupid for 3 reasons  :1) if shang chi does indeed open to 60 or so that would be  very good and especially  in this enviroment,2) covid cases will likely start to decline by the time shang comes so oct and nov will be good,3) delay ? and moved them where ? companies like people have to realise that covid will stay with as and there will always be increases and decreases in cases ... as long as deaths and hospitalzations remain low enough/acceptable levels then we are in a good place .Now going back to the delay what will happen if the new  of a movie say in 2022 is also bad with covid increasing again ? will you delayed it again ? and for how long companies,societys,livelyhoods can be paused ? at least in the countries where vaccines are widely avaible there is no need  for lockdowns.....

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

at this moment any more delays are stupid for 3 reasons  :1) if shang chi does indeed open to 60 or so that would be  very good and especillay in these enviroment,2) covid cases will likely start to decling by the time shang comes so oct and nov will be good,3) delay ? and moved them where ? companies like people have to realise that covid will stay with as and there will always be increases and decreases in cases ... as long as deaths and hospitalzations remain low enough/acceptable levels then we are in a good place .Now going back to the delay what will happen if the new  of a movie say in 2022 is also bad with covid increasing again ? will you delayed it again ? and for how long companies,societys,livelyhoods can be paused ? at least in the countries where vaccines are widely avaible there is no need  for lockdowns.....

Studios are probably feeling the pressure to officially lock in their schedules now with CinemaCon happening next week.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Studios are probably feeling the pressure to officially lock in their schedules now with CinemaCon happening next week.

indeed however again it would be stupid even though i understand it to some degree some studios like sony which they dont have many blockbuster they understable dont want their BO grosses affected but still.......the situation now is like a dog that tries to bite its tail....pointless imo..