DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Nolan says goodbye to Warner Bros and is off to Universal! Lol

also a hint of how committed Uni is to theatrical if they’ve convinced our saviour to join them. 

https://deadline.com/2021/09/christopher-nolan-universal-pictures-sets-next-film-j-robert-oppenheimer-development-atom-bomb-world-war-two-1234832975/

Or they were more willing to say yes and "we don't care how much" to his big budget, adult-skewing, historical, non-franchise pic right now...

It's an interesting choice in the current theatrical (especially since we aren't far removed from Dunkirk)...but I'm sure Uni is paying for Nolan, not this exact movie choice...

Hurry up 5-11 vaccine! Haven't taken my kid to a movie since January 2020.

No offense to those that do, wife is in healthcare and it's a nonstarter without it. Hoping it comes out end of October so she can be fully vaccinated by December.

• Like 1

Disney, however, isn’t on the same page. Several sources say the studio is mulling skipping the theatrical release altogether in France and releasing straight on streaming platform Disney Plus in order to avoid being subjected to the local windowing release schedule.

“It’s a worrying situation,” said Ardavan Safaee, CEO of Pathé, which operates France’s leading cinema circuit. “If some big U.S. movies skip the theatrical release in France it will impact everyone, including the independent French film sector, which benefits from admissions sold for these American blockbusters.”

source: https://variety.com/2021/film/global/france-windowing-netflix-disney-1235064204/

The archaic windowing laws in France might actually hurt cinemas there if this happens. 

45 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

source: https://variety.com/2021/film/global/france-windowing-netflix-disney-1235064204/

The archaic windowing laws in France might actually hurt cinemas there if this happens. 

I dunno.  Throwing a fit/threatening to overturn the apple cart over one month of terrestrial exclusivity in one country two years after release sounds...  Well, I get that Disney hates anything that even looks like it might slightly encroach on its holy grail of D+, but sounds kinda petty to me.

Unless there is something there in that article I'm missing (very possible!), it doesn't sound like that terrible of an ask/negotiation. 

Mind, given the power imbalance here, I doubt it's gonna happen.  But as a purely disinterested observer, can't say I exactly sympathize with Disney here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I dunno.  Throwing a fit/threatening to overturn the apple cart over one month of terrestrial exclusivity in one country two years after release sounds...  Well, I get that Disney hates anything that even looks like it might slightly encroach on its holy grail of D+, but sounds kinda petty to me.

Unless there is something there in that article I'm missing (very possible!), it doesn't sound like that terrible of an ask/negotiation. 

Mind, given the power imbalance here, I doubt it's gonna happen.  But as a purely disinterested observer, can't say I exactly sympathize with Disney here.

Doesn’t read to me like Disney minds month 25 so much, it’s months 1-24 that are an issue for them.   

Rightly so, franche’s windowing laws are horribly comically dumb. If I was Disney (or warmer, or whoever) I would absolutely threaten to skip theaters wholesale if things weren’t made more reasonable.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Should preface at the top here this only impacts theatrical distribution in France due to them being an outlier in windowing. 

In France the theatrical window has been much longer, was 3 years to streaming I believe but was to be changed to 1 year as long as some local investments are made. However local pay and free TV are pushing back, this was another part of the article. 

The pay-TV group is also opposed to having streaming services access movies 12 months following their cinema releases because it would overlap on their window, which runs for nine months. Canal Plus argues that these platforms are investing too little compared with their own contributions, and should be placed at 15 months rather than 12.

So basically Disney in threatening to avoid theatrical releases if they are going to get fucked and as @Legion of the Ten Crores mentioned the other studios once they have their streaming services in France may follow Disney's lead. 

I Imagine it would be more beneficial for Disney to not release in France theatrically and release on Disney+ the same time as it drops in other countries, not having to share their films or having to deal with the window (it could very well be a film by film basis as well) rather than sit on the films for over a year.

This also could just be a threat to try to get better terms, will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Legion of the Ten Crores said:

Ah, I didn’t realize they were already down to “just” 12 months. Still that is a crazy window for where we are this decade.

Hasn't been finalised (as that is what the article is all about) but yeah 1.5 months vs 12 months is a huge difference and if it does get extended longer than 12 months to benefit local pay tv and free tv I can see why Disney is playing hard ball. 

Also in the article they mention that piracy is a big concern in France (obviously worse with lots of day and date releases this year) but even with the more traditional window I imagine a lot of that is locals getting illegal copies when they release in Canada with French dub/sub rather than waiting for years to see a film at home, probably even some that watched in it in cinema are going that route. 

Edited by Jamiem
21 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Should preface at the top here this only impacts theatrical distribution in France due to them being an outlier in windowing. 

In France the theatrical window has been much longer, was 3 years to streaming I believe but was to be changed to 1 year as long as some local investments are made. However local pay and free TV are pushing back, this was another part of the article. 

So basically Disney in threatening to avoid theatrical releases if they are going to get fucked and as @Legion of the Ten Crores mentioned the other studios once they have their streaming services in France may follow Disney's lead. 

I Imagine it would be more beneficial for Disney to not release in France theatrically and release on Disney+ the same time as it drops in other countries, not having to share their films or having to deal with the window (it could very well be a film by film basis as well) rather than sit on the films for over a year.

This also could just be a threat to try to get better terms, will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Must have missed that/glossed over it when I scanned the article.  Fair enuf then.

FWIW, I do think a 45 day window is too extreme in the other direction (two to two and a half months seems more reasonable to me), but I also realize we're already at "it is what it is" stage on that front, so no use crying over spilled milk.

Edited by Porthos
1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

45 days is just too short, especially for those mega-openers, and movies that have surprise good hold. 45-60 days (depending debut size or legs) sound better . 

They delayed Shang Chi to 24 days later than the 45 days announced. I expect Disney to give around 70 day windows for all their movies, the exception being Encanto which they already said would be 30 days and will be free during Chrismas Eve for families. They really want those new costumers to buy a year of service.

In the end these short windows are mainly about pushing their streaming services, not about having the movies make as much as possible. Disney prefers Disney + get as much subscribers as possible over any one movie doing well.

Edited by Mojoguy

Someone needs to change the title cards in this thread. Shang-Chi is about to hit $200m ya'll movie theaters are alive and kicking. many more about to pass that mark by the end of the year! (with one or two in the 300-400m range) B)

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

They delayed Shang Chi to 24 days later than the 45 days announced. I expect Disney to give around 70 day windows for all their movies, the exception being Encanto which they already said would be 30 days and will be free during Chrismas Eve for families. They really want those new costumers to buy a year of service.

In the end these short windows are mainly about pushing their streaming services, not about having the movies make as much as possible. Disney prefers Disney + get as much subscribers as possible over any one movie doing well.

In the end, as long as there is no solution to the fact that we won't be seeing a film indefinitely in theater but streaming platform has that privilege, there should be some theater exclusivity or even an extended for those phenomenon. 

I'm happy to see that as predicted and I was screaming from the rooftops back in August that we are about to enter a great new phase in theatrical movie going.  

Studios held firm for the most part despite Delta surging and The Suicide Squad bombing.  There was immense media and pressure from others to move their films and they refused.  

Now here we are in October and the Delta numbers continue to subside and we are possibly going to have 2 back to back $70m+ openers.  

Great news for everyone.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm happy to see that as predicted and I was screaming from the rooftops back in August that we are about to enter a great new phase in theatrical movie going.  

Studios held firm for the most part despite Delta surging and The Suicide Squad bombing.  There was immense media and pressure from others to move their films and they refused.  

Now here we are in October and the Delta numbers continue to subside and we are possibly going to have 2 back to back $70m+ openers.  

Great news for everyone.  

venom-yummy.gif

(I am Tom Hardy, still not feeling it, the rest of BOT is Venom :Venom:)

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Great news for everyone.  

I might bet you on back to back $70M+ openers...we're only gonna get 1... 

10 days to go and cinemas reopen in NSW. Bookings are available now. 

By the time of reopening NSW will be over 90% first dose and 75% second dose. 

https://deadline.com/2021/10/solstice-studios-shutting-down-executives-layoffs-first-hollywood-corporate-covid-fatality-1234847104/

Solstice Studios is terminating most of its key executives, a move that was announced to staff Monday morning. Deadline hears that among those who are out are founding CEO Mark Gill, production president Lisa Ellzey, founding marketing chief Vincent Bruzzese, distribution head Shari Hardison and international sales topper Crystal Bourbeau. This follows a round of layoffs last December of about 20 people.

The company will continue with just 10 staffers left, and they will oversee the completion of Hypnotic, which is now in production with Robert Rodriguez directing and Ben Affleck and Alice Braga starring. Those staffers are expected to stay on through fall 2022. I’m told the company will be shuttered after that.

Too bad, the company hardly left any memorable moment in cinematic history. Serve as a reminder that the market is still fragile and recovery is yet holistic,  

Edited by titanic2187