DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

No studio is going to release a movie until most cinemas in the world are open. You'll likely just have to watch older movies if cinemas in your country open before Tenet.

Well, there is one new movie this weekend...

"Military Wives heads to VOD and also play drive-ins theaters across the country on May 22"

Read more: https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=496968#ixzz6Muwm076J

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No studio is going to release a movie until most cinemas in the world are open. You'll likely just have to watch older movies if cinemas in your country open before Tenet.

Well that's downright horrendous. But thanks.

I would actually love it if our cinemas do open soon and show older movies - because I prefer them to new ones.

What I don't get is - why would the cinema industry act like this? Didn't they already suffer enough? WHY inflict two more months of lockdown on themselves - after the first two months they had no control over??

Yeah, OK, maybe they too were fooled by the virus scare at first and thought the lockdowns would last much longer - but now when they see that the quarantine is more or less over everywhere, why not act faster and speed releases up?

Edited by shayhiri
15 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Well that's downright horrendous. But thanks.

I would actually love it if our cinemas do open soon and show older movies - because I prefer them to new ones.

What I don't get is - why would the cinema industry act like this? Didn't they already suffer enough? WHY inflict two more months of lockdown on themselves - after the first two months they had no control over??

Yeah, OK, maybe they too were fooled by the virus scare at first and thought the lockdowns would last much longer - but now when they see that the quarantine is more or less over everywhere, why not act faster and speed releases up?

Because the very vast majority of markets, especially the majors, still have their cinemas closed by government order and will continue to be in that position for the next 4-8 weeks? They're not doing it to themselves, Christ. 

And no studio will release a brand new movie, especially a big budget one, in 5% of markets, then wait two more months for the rest. 

• Like 1

On a similar note, do you guys remember how I cursed and screamed to high heaven repeatedly, because 2020 is gonna be the worst year in cinema ever? (terrible releases, no good titles - especially compared to 2019)

Well, we can safely say now the Shay was 100% right! :) Once again.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Seems like LA is moving to the next stage of reopening on July 4th: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-county-leaders-propose-reopening-economy-as-early-as-july-4-1295237

This is the phase where cinemas are allowed to open so if that sticks, Tenet isn't moving

Well we all agreed a lot depended on California. Well....

That's fantastic news!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Seems like LA is moving to the next stage of reopening on July 4th: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-county-leaders-propose-reopening-economy-as-early-as-july-4-1295237

This is the phase where cinemas are allowed to open so if that sticks, Tenet isn't moving

I imagine Unhinged will move back a week to July 10 (especially now that The Purge is gone) tomorrow.

This article talks about how movies and TV might go forward and how much it could add to budgets. Not everyone thinks restarting production before there's a vaccine is practical. Sounds like a lot of one-location horror movies and bottle episodes are on the way...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Lights, camera, no action: Thai films banned from shooting love scenes during Covid-19

Thailand’s film industry has been instructed not to shoot any love scenes, fighting or acts that involve close contact, to avoid the spread of the coronavirus.

As officials continued to relax lockdown measures across Thailand, production companies were told to adapt their work to comply with social distancing rules.

Under guidance issued by Yupha Thawiwattanakit Bowon, deputy permanent secretary of culture, filmmakers must work in well-ventilated spaces, with no more than 50 crew members present. Special effects and camera angles can be used to help depict scenes that would usually require intimacy or contact, and all people off-camera must wear a mask.

The lockdown measures have helped to reduce daily case numbers, but they have also hit the country’s economy, which contracted at its sharpest pace in eight years in the first quarter. In total, Thailand has recorded 56 deaths, and a total of 3,033 cases.

Apparently this was shown on TV a couple of hours ago, should find out tomorrow if Tenet is keeping its date or not. Sorry for the low quality in advance it’s not an offical tv spot just something someone recorded off a phone or something by the looks. 

Edited by Jamiem

Time for an Update :-

The Purge sequel has been purged from the release schedule (for now).  These leaves a large gap between unhinged and Tenet (I feel like unhinged won't hold that date but we shall see).  Come play is no longer playing nice, moving out to October from July.  Finally the new mutants takes another date looking to finally be released...... 

Gee there aren't many films going wide in July now......

Wide Releases (according to BOM) -

next on calender

July 1, 2020 - Unhinged (Solstice)

July 17, 2020 - Tenet (Warner Bros)

July 24, 2020 - Mulan (Disney)

July 31, 2020 - untitled A24 film (A24)

August 7, 2020 - Trump Card (Cloudburst)

August 7, 2020 - The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run (Paramount)

August 7, 2020 - The Empty Man (Fox)

August 14, 2020 - Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros)

August 14, 2020 - The One and only Ivan (Disney)

August 14, 2020 - Fatima

August 21, 2020 - Bill & Ted Face the Music (United Artists)

August 21, 2020 - Antebellum (Lionsgate)

August 21, 2020 - Let him go (Focus)

August 28, 2020 - The New Mutants (Fox)

September 4, 2020 - A Quiet Place Part II (Paramount)

September 4, 2020 - Honest Thief

September 4, 2020 - Monster Hunter (Screen Gems)

September 11, 2020 - The Conjuring: The Devel made me do it (Warner Bros)

September 11, 2020 - Infidel

September 18, 2020 - The King's Man (Fox)

September 25, 2020 - Candyman (Universal)

September 25, 2020 - What about love (XLI41)