Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I just think the large chains would just prefer to open all at once all at the very least until they can open in California and New York. 

Oh yeah absolutely. Add to that no studio films without California and NY.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, antovolk said:

Just wait until LA/NY phase 3 or whatever dates are set and their tune will change instantly

 

The big roadblock here is that the situation is so fluid it makes it difficult on the chains to react quickly. They may not be given much notice before being given the green light, so there may be a lag between when they can open and when they actually do. All of this makes it difficult or impossible for the studios to market films and set release dates. Are studios going to spend money on marketing with all these unknowns? Are studios going to release films with very little or just last minute marketing?

 

High risk and low reward is not a good business model for staying in business.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted in Hollywood: COVID-19 consultants to help keep sets safe

Quote

LOS ANGELES -- Along with hairstylists, camera operators and the hundreds of others who make magic happen for TV and film, Hollywood is counting on a new supporting member for future productions: COVID-19 consultants.

The coronavirus pandemic has prompted producers, movie studios and workers' unions to seek expert advice on how to safely reopen film and TV sets, which shut down worldwide in mid-March.

 

In demand are epidemiologists and other public health specialists to provide detailed strategies for dealing with large crews who work in cramped spaces, makeup artists who get face-to-face with stars, and actors who kiss, hug and fight on set.

The shutdown has taken a severe financial toll across the industry, as well as on cities such as Los Angeles that benefit economically from production. Restarting is important to companies, including Netflix Inc., Walt Disney Co. and others, which need fresh programming to engage audiences.

While sets remain empty in the United States, productions are ramping back up in South Korea, Australia, Sweden, as well as New Zealand, where James Cameron's "Avatar 2" is restarting this week.

People who work in the industry expect to see smaller crews, regular testing, hand sanitizer everywhere and the use of computer-generated imagery to create big crowds on-screen when work resumes.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

and the use of computer-generated imagery to create big crowds on-screen when work resumes.

Gonna be fun seeing all the big productions over the next two years having fake looking CGI crowd scenes like the ending of Bohemian Rhapsody.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://deadline.com/2020/05/cinemark-delays-filing-quarterly-report-amc-entertainment-exhibition-coronavirus-1202929913/

 

"Cinemark will release its first-quarter earnings and address Wall Street analysts on an earnings call on June 3, in what will likely be a closely monitored status report on movie theaters’ attempt to reopen.

Earlier this month, the No. 3 U.S. theater chain had postponed its earnings report, as had top exhibitor AMC Entertainment, as it dealt with the full force of COVID-19 closures.

Cinemark execs in April said they anticipated being able to reopen in most markets by July 1, booking repertory titles ahead of the July 17 opening of Warner Bros.’ Tenet. With many states entering advanced stages of reopening in recent days and live sports plotting a return, theaters are the next logical sector to turn the lights back on. But lingering effects of lockdowns, especially in New York, are likely to complicate a bounce-back effort."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda odd that San Francisco is taking more stricter measurements than LA considering that LA was worse affected. Also really odd that they are opening churches in June even though they are likely more dangerous than cinemas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kinda odd that San Francisco is taking more stricter measurements than LA considering that LA was worse affected. Also really odd that they are opening churches in June even though they are likely more dangerous than cinemas.

One's a 1st amendment protected activity...and one's just an awesome activity:)...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people will come back to theaters and how quickly?

http://morningconsult.com/2020/05/22/tracking-consumer-comfort-with-dining-out-and-other-leisure-activities/

This survey suggests not very quickly at all.

Only 16% responded they felt it was safe to go back to movie theaters. 

Men (20%), Millenials (22%) and Republicans (23%) had the highest percentage that felt it would be safe.

in terms of when they feel it will be safe to go back to theaters 30% said in the next 2-3 months, 44% in the next 6 months. This could also have a major impact on the fall/Holiday numbers if alot of people are still concerned with being in an enclosed space with others at that point.  

 

I'll be interested to see how the theme parks do as they re-open as their numbers were even lower than movies, only 14% considering it safe to go back and only 35% saying it would be safe in the next 6 months.

 

Edited by RamblinRed
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

How many people will come back to theaters and how quickly?

http://morningconsult.com/2020/05/22/tracking-consumer-comfort-with-dining-out-and-other-leisure-activities/

This survey suggests not very quickly at all.

Only 16% responded they felt it was safe to go back to movie theaters. 

Men (20%), Millenials (22%) and Republicans (23%) had the highest percentage that felt it would be safe.

in terms of when they feel it will be safe to go back to theaters 30% said in the next 2-3 months, 44% in the next 6 months. This could also have a major impact on the fall/Holiday numbers if alot of people are still concerned with being in an enclosed space with others at that point.  

 

I'll be interested to see how the theme parks do as they re-open as their numbers were even lower than movies, only 14% considering it safe to go back and only 35% saying it would be safe in the next 6 months.

 

Until they get a vaccine available to the general public you can probably count on a lot of people choosing not to sit in a theater for two plus hours. A lot of the more casual movie goers will choose to simply rent it/stream it and watch it at home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Movie theaters where I'm at (Boise) have been cleared to open starting this weekend. One independent theater has said they will reopen "soon", but no word on the plan beyond that.

 

I've heard that drive-ins have been doing pretty well just showing random stuff, so it's entirely possible that they can do good business just from people that are looking for an excuse to get out of the house.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Movie theaters where I'm at (Boise) have been cleared to open starting this weekend. One independent theater has said they will reopen "soon", but no word on the plan beyond that.

 

I've heard that drive-ins have been doing pretty well just showing random stuff, so it's entirely possible that they can do good business just from people that are looking for an excuse to get out of the house.

I would think drive-ins would do pretty well since it is relatively easy for people to socially distance in that environment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.