Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think people are itching to get out of the house. If we had a vaccine, theaters would be crowded again. Alas...

Yeah it is going to take a while before there is a vaccine for everyone to take. And itching to get out of the house and going into a closed in theater room where germs have free run at people for two plus hours are two entirely different things. People who generally only went to the theaters a handful of times a year anyways aren't going to be very anxious to go back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Yeah it is going to take a while before there is a vaccine for everyone to take. And itching to get out of the house and going into a closed in theater room where germs have free run at people for two plus hours are two entirely different things. People who generally only went to the theaters a handful of times a year anyways aren't going to be very anxious to go back.

True. hopefully there's a vaccine by the end of the year.  This year's theater movie going is all compromised

Edited by Maggie
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

True. hopefully there's a vaccine by the end of the year.  This year's theater movie going is all compromised

It will be about a year and a half at the earliest before there is a vaccine ready for the public. And then it will take quite a time after that before it is readily available for everyone. This is going to be a longer ordeal than some people are thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

It will be about a year and a half at the earliest before there is a vaccine ready for the public. And then it will take quite a time after that before it is readily available for everyone. This is going to be a longer ordeal than some people are thinking.

I think one will be ready by the end of this year. and available to everyone at the start of next year.

 

 

 

US should have a 'couple hundred million' doses of a Covid-19 vaccine by the start of 2021, Fauci says

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/health/fauci-coronavirus-vaccine-2021/index.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Pandemics don't last forever but it will take quite a while for people to feel normal again (probably a couple years). Even though it wasn't as bad as it was a couple months ago we are still having about a thousand deaths a day. Until it gets to a point to where that number is close to zero aside from the big movie theater buffs you won't find too many people all that anxious to go back. It will probably take a good two to three years before things go back to normal in public places again. And also movie theaters have been losing popularity for years anyways. Something like this would be all it would take to probably make about 50% of the people that go to theaters to give it up completely. A lot of people prefer watching movies in the comfort of their own home with perhaps a couple friends instead of going to the theaters sitting around a bunch of strangers anyhow. 

Wrong

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Pandemics don't last forever but it will take quite a while for people to feel normal again (probably a couple years). Even though it wasn't as bad as it was a couple months ago we are still having about a thousand deaths a day. Until it gets to a point to where that number is close to zero aside from the big movie theater buffs you won't find too many people all that anxious to go back. It will probably take a good two to three years before things go back to normal in public places again. And also movie theaters have been losing popularity for years anyways. Something like this would be all it would take to probably make about 50% of the people that go to theaters to give it up completely. A lot of people prefer watching movies in the comfort of their own home with perhaps a couple friends instead of going to the theaters sitting around a bunch of strangers anyhow. 

Cinemas have been losing popularity, yet billion dollar movies have been occurring with great frequency and more and more were targeting 1.5-2 billion. The era of uber blockbusters was just starting. Medium hits were rare, but the huge blockbusters were not going anywhere, despite this reduced popularity you mention.

 

And studios will not put prime franchises on streaming services so easily, as theatrical continues to be the best way to make money. VOD lacks penetration pretty much everywhere in the world, so it will never sustain a big movie on its own. And going straight to streaming might work for an occasional uptick in subscribers, but even there you have a ceiling and you would also need to maintain the output to keep the numbers up. And doing it exclusively with lower budget product won't cut it - it won't generate the buzz you need. 

 

Theatrical's not going anywhere yet. If chains go bust, other entities will take over, but theatrical will continue to live, though possibly with shorter windows, since most uber-blockbusters have short legs anyway.

Studios themselves will want to keep theatrical distribution going as it's making them money. This is just an opportunity for them to either renegotiate terms with distributors and exhibitors or get more involved in the exhibition game itself.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Cinemas have been losing popularity, yet billion dollar movies have been occurring with great frequency and more and more were targeting 1.5-2 billion. The era of uber blockbusters was just starting. Medium hits were rare, but the huge blockbusters were not going anywhere, despite this reduced popularity you mention.

 

And studios will not put prime franchises on streaming services so easily, as theatrical continues to be the best way to make money. VOD lacks penetration pretty much everywhere in the world, so it will never sustain a big movie on its own. And going straight to streaming might work for an occasional uptick in subscribers, but even there you have a ceiling and you would also need to maintain the output to keep the numbers up. And doing it exclusively with lower budget product won't cut it - it won't generate the buzz you need. 

 

Theatrical's not going anywhere yet. If chains go bust, other entities will take over, but theatrical will continue to live, though possibly with shorter windows, since most uber-blockbusters have short legs anyway.

Studios themselves will want to keep theatrical distribution going as it's making them money. This is just an opportunity for them to either renegotiate terms with distributors and exhibitors or get more involved in the exhibition game itself.

They will still put out the big blockbusters in theaters. But it is going to become a lot more rare that those blockbusters get a billion +. This forum is full of a lot of real movie theater buffs and don't want to think that there might be a time when the big hit movies stop making as much as they once did. But this pandemic is going to change a lot of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We will probably get an idea of how quickly people will be willing to go back to theaters by how many people attend sporting events this fall. If there are a lot of people choosing to stay away from sports (which consist of a lot of people that are even more die hard than movie fans are) than they will likely be even less quick to go back to theaters to watch movies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We don’t need a vaccine to get cinemas open again, they’re opening this month. 
 

older audiences will most likely wait, parents with kids might avoid, others will go I think. Every week here in Scotland, when something opens again, like McDonalds here yesterday, it causes literal traffic jams lol.
 

A large amount of people are looking forward to doing *anything* they can. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

We will probably get an idea of how quickly people will be willing to go back to theaters by how many people attend sporting events this fall. If there are a lot of people choosing to stay away from sports (which consist of a lot of people that are even more die hard than movie fans are) than they will likely be even less quick to go back to theaters to watch movies.

We'll know about the state of movie theaters before the fall because the first movies opening in a while come out next month unless there's a massive surge that puts our healthcare system in potential jeopardy again and causes another nationwide shutdown. We're more prepared in combating the virus now than we were in March when the initial panic kicked in (which has completely worn off after three months) so we'll just have to wait and see.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We'll know about the state of movie theaters before the fall because the first movies opening in a while come out next month unless there's a massive surge that puts our healthcare system in potential jeopardy again and causes another nationwide shutdown. We're more prepared in combating the virus now than we were in March when the initial panic kicked in (which has completely worn off after three months) so we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know. I don't think the movies opening up this summer will make much regardless. I think sports will truly show us how much this is affecting the public because for a lot of those people that go to football games in the fall they pretty much wrap their lives around sports. The big blockbuster movies pretty much make as much as they do because those are the movies that the people that only go to the theaters three or four times a year choose to go to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt movie theaters are dead. But this fall will not be an indicator either way. Many people will probably still wait for a vaccine. We should wait until a vaccine is out for any real conclusions on the state of theaters. Anything else, even by so called experts, is just speculation imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spain is re-starting to open cinemas. Tomorrow, Kinepolis (3rd biggest theater chain) will open their multiplex in Valencia and Cinesa (Biggest theater chain) will open 3 theatres on Monday in Zaragoza, Valencia and Santiago. The re-opening date for most of the cinemas is June 26th when Madrid and Barcelona would be in Phase 3.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maggie said:

True. hopefully there's a vaccine by the end of the year.  This year's theater movie going is all compromised

Imagine trusting any vaccine that was developed, tested and released to the public in a span of 8-9 months when most experts claimed that even a time frame of 18 months would be nothing short of a miracle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, meridan said:

Imagine trusting any vaccine that was developed, tested and released to the public in a span of 8-9 months when most experts claimed that even a time frame of 18 months would be nothing short of a miracle. 

Yep. Which is why I'm not sure we will really get a vaccine that soon. The current administration likes to say things that are either completely false or at the very least not that reasonable in order to improve morale. Maybe that is true of all administrations but it is especially true of this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Yep. Which is why I'm not sure we will really get a vaccine that soon. The current administration likes to say things that are either completely false or at the very least not that reasonable in order to improve morale. Maybe that is true of all administrations but it is especially true of this one.

The fastest vaccine ever created took 4 years. With a 98% recovery rate, I will trust my body to fight off COVID-19 far more than some rushed vaccine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, meridan said:

Imagine trusting any vaccine that was developed, tested and released to the public in a span of 8-9 months when most experts claimed that even a time frame of 18 months would be nothing short of a miracle. 

This. Taking shortcuts in making a  vaccine would be very dangerous.

Remember what a vaccine does;It gives you a mild case of the disease/virus to get you immune system busy making anitbodies for it. Obviously even a minor mistake can be disasterous.

People are STILL looking for some miracle Silver Bullet to make the problem go away. Just ain't happening.

See "Contagion " for details.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.