DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

3 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Yeah you know AMC is going to try to portray an overly positive message right now considering just about a week ago they said they had substantial doubt they may not survive.

Yes, and the lack of transparency tells me they are already no longer capable of continuing as a going concern. It's like when I go ice fishing. I bring back some nearly frozen fish in a bucket and start cleaning them by the sink. I'll fillet both sides off a fish and then put the head, spine and insides in a garbage bag. For several minutes after it is filleted I'll hear a fish continue to flop around in the bag. It is dead, it just hasn't accepted it yet. The fact that it was so cold is the only reason it hasn't expired, and that won't last long. They warm up a bit, bleed out, and "go to sleep".

AMC is in that state. Leadership is desperate for money and willing to lie to spin things in a positive light. It is like going into a Fry's and looking at all the empty shelves, knowing they are going out of business, but the corporate HQ denies it and says everything is fine. They have a million excuses to explain the lack of stock. The reality is, they're out of money and can't pay the bills so have no merch to sell. I see right through this.

I think AMC will be in bankruptcy court by August or September. MoviePass staved off the inevitable for a while as well, but I don't think AMC will be given that long of a leash. At some point soon there won't be money to borrow.

• ...wtf 1
Just now, doublejack said:

Yes, and the lack of transparency tells me they are already no longer capable of continuing as a going concern. It's like when I go ice fishing. I bring back some nearly frozen fish in a bucket and start cleaning them by the sink. I'll fillet both sides off a fish and then put the head, spine and insides in a garbage bag. For several minutes after it is filleted I'll hear a fish continue to flop around in the bag. It is dead, it just hasn't accepted it yet. The fact that it was so cold is the only reason it hasn't expired, and that won't last long. They warm up a bit, bleed out, and "go to sleep".

AMC is in that state. Leadership is desperate for money and willing to lie to spin things in a positive light. It is like going into a Fry's and looking at all the empty shelves, knowing they are going out of business, but the corporate HQ denies it and says everything is fine. They have a million excuses to explain the lack of stock. The reality is, they're out of money and can't pay the bills so have no merch to sell. I see right through this.

I think AMC will be in bankruptcy court by August or September. MoviePass staved off the inevitable for a while as well, but I don't think AMC will be given that long of a leash. At some point soon there won't be money to borrow.

Lmao, AMC isn't going to lie to shareholders and we already know AMC has enough funds to stay alive until November.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, AMC isn't going to lie to shareholders and we already know AMC has enough funds to stay alive until November.

We'll see. If they open and invest money to make that happen and then don't get the surge of customers they are saying will happen, they will be singing a different tune.

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Exactly, it’s not a comparable thing at all. Food shopping is a necessity, watching a film surrounded be other people who may or may not give you the disease definitely isn’t.

If July happens, just wait for the first Deadline report about how a screening of Tenet was abandoned after someone sneezed and people ran for the exits...

I sneezed the other day in a store and everyone looked at me horrified. It was the funniest shit ever! I'm like "People do just sneeze, ya know?".

Sheeple, I tell ya.

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Exactly, it’s not a comparable thing at all. Food shopping is a necessity, watching a film surrounded be other people who may or may not give you the disease definitely isn’t.

? They do much more then necessity level (and frequency) food shopping if it is more than 0 ( I didn't went food shopping for month like many people, you can get delivered to your door)

7 hours ago, doublejack said:

Nope. China is the cherry on top. All of the successful super hero films make more than enough money elsewhere to be profitable. China could completely close itself off to Western cinema and it would have no impact on the MCU, for example.

And studios only get around 25% of the box office take from China anyway unless they can qualify as Chinese co production.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, meridan said:

When AMC opens they better pray that none of their theaters is linked to a COVID-19 outbreak. If so, they are done. 

Whether they are or aren't in reality, you can pretty much guarantee that within 72 hours of Tenet's opening, some of the lovelies on twitter will be tweeting stories about how somebody's buddy went to see it and the next day they woke up deathly ill. It's the Age of Misinformation.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
On 6/10/2020 at 2:57 PM, antovolk said:

For a cultural event 'don't miss this' movie like Tenet?

That’s a reach, lol. Sorry, but it is. 

Nothing about Tenet ever hinted at it being a “cultural event”. 

• Like 3
On 6/10/2020 at 3:58 PM, meridan said:

When AMC opens they better pray that none of their theaters is linked to a COVID-19 outbreak. If so, they are done. 

WIthout the Covid outbreak AMC was pretty much done. Covid might have just speeded up the process.

Wow, bad managment destroys a company.Who would have thunk it.

Edited by dudalb
7 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

Yeah Spy films generally aren't cultural events. 

Damn few films, even extremly sucessful ones, are cultural events.

Tenet will do well at the box office, but I doubt it's going to  be a cultural event.

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a reach, lol. Sorry, but it is. 

Nothing about Tenet ever hinted at it being a “cultural event”. 

Nobody outside the Nolan fanboys, that is.

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

There is a YouTube video showing some new console (not the games, the console itself), it got 11M views in one day.

People are truly desperate for entertainment.

My nephew wants to be able to play Mario Kart online with me so I went to Best Buy's site to look at Nintendo Switches. Sold out online. Entirely. I've come across people getting a few groceries each day so they have SOMETHING to do every day. Complete re-opening can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

So, things taking a turn for the worse today with Tenet moving off July 17th. It is now slotted for July 31st but I believe that date will move. Either way, this is going to set off a domino effect of other films shifting dates back.

What I would really like to see happen is theaters open where it is safe to do so, limiting to something like 25-33% capacity and showing a mix of new lower budget films and cherished classics. I just don't see tent poles being viable in these conditions.

• Like 2