DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The people who don't enforce theatre policies are just lazy employees. Guarantee you that if you have a good employee working, theatre rules will be enforced. That being said, if it's not an actual rule for people to wear masks, that's a huge mistake on the theatre's part. 

Problem is, you need to sell concessions and that requires you taking off your mask, but I guess you can require a mask for entry? But eating will defeat part of the purpose really.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Problem is, you need to sell concessions and that requires you taking off your mask, but I guess you can require a mask for entry? But eating will defeat part of the purpose really.

that's the problem I think will happen, don't theaters make more than half of their revenue from concessions? if people don't buy them because they're wearing masks and on top of that is the fact that they will operating at limited capacity, I wonder how much profits theater managers will be generating in the coming months.

16 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

that's the problem I think will happen, don't theaters make more than half of their revenue from concessions? if people don't buy them because they're wearing masks and on top of that is the fact that they will operating at limited capacity, I wonder how much profits theater managers will be generating in the coming months.

Concessions count for way more than half of the money that the theatre actually keeps. So yea, it's going to be super important not to lose the sales. They're going to have to start offering deals I think if they want people to buy them.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Concessions count for way more than half of the money that the theatre actually keeps. So yea, it's going to be super important not to lose the sales. They're going to have to start offering deals I think if they want people to buy them.

During the summer, one of the large multiplexes near me has been consistently running double features for several years. It's only something they do during the week when schools are out. The first time I can recall participating was when Avengers was still showing. I took my oldest (at the time she was about 10) and we saw Brave followed by Avengers. Almost everyone stayed for both films. A deal like that makes it all but certain that I'm going to buy a considerable amount of concessions between films, if for no other reason then I'm spending 5-6 hours at the theater.

If I were calling the shots, I'd try to work something out like that so theaters can make some money.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, doublejack said:

During the summer, one of the large multiplexes near me has been consistently running double features for several years. It's only something they do during the week when schools are out. The first time I can recall participating was when Avengers was still showing. I took my oldest (at the time she was about 10) and we saw Brave followed by Avengers. Almost everyone stayed for both films. A deal like that makes it all but certain that I'm going to buy a considerable amount of concessions between films, if for no other reason then I'm spending 5-6 hours at the theater.

If I were calling the shots, I'd try to work something out like that so theaters can make some money.

Also, and this may work differently for multiplexes, since all my movie theatre knowledge comes from a relatively small theatre I worked at. But on the days where the lobby was less full, you ALWAYS sell more concessions per customer. That's one of the reasons you want to spread the start times out, because a congested lobby turns people off from buying concession. So limited capacity could help in that sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

So strongly encourage like they strongly encourage people to turn off their cell phones huh? Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

It sounds like they (and Regal) are telling everyone to wear masks from entering the building until you get to your seat where you'll be for the next two hours watching the movie and having concessions if you buy them (and then put them back on upon exiting). Seems like a good enough request, especially since social distancing measures will still be in place via the seating arrangement.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2
On 6/16/2020 at 10:00 PM, doublejack said:

I'd go to a protest, but would not go to see a movie in a theater.

That's America's problem right here. Nothing more, nothing less.

But it is obvious that the majority thinks otherwise - so the events in the following months will follow a very different path than what you people here expect.

I guess this is one way for Netflix to get moving on that 365 DNI sequel:

In an interview with Forbes, executive producer and head writer Bradley Bell outlined his vision for transitioning the show into our new era of uncertainty, which, for starters, means the actors are doing far more sexy solo work. “We were cutting all of the kisses, and the shows weren’t the same,” Bell admitted.“They’ll look like they’re nose to nose, in the throes of passion. But they’ll be shooting scenes all by themselves.”

Far more ingenious, though, is how The Bold and the Beautiful will deal with its sex scenes beyond clever editing. (And there are a lot of sex scenes.) “We have some lifelike blow-up dolls that have been sitting around here for the past 15 years, that we’ve used for various other stories — like when people were presumed dead,” Bell explained. “We’re dusting off the dolls and putting new wigs and make-up on them and they’ll be featured in love scenes.” Actors’ spouses will also be welcome to join their partners for scenes that require touching, as long as they test negative for the coronavirus prior to entering the studio. Of course, if there are any red flags or concerns, we’ll stop,” Bell added. “Because safety is first.” But are the dolls SAG eligible?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I guess this is one way for Netflix to get moving on that 365 DNI sequel:

SNL already tackled what soap operas are gonna look like in the COVID-19 era in the last episode before the country closed down:

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, MrPink said:

And it not just as easy to enforce the distancing in a movie theater as it in a restaurant.

Looks like Cinemark is still confident of a July opening and that Mulan will still be out of July 24th. I feel both of those may be misplaced, but who knows.

Also I feel this throws ice on any claims that Disney has talked to Cinema owners about delaying Mulan. 

• Like 1

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disney-cineworld-sony-kinepolis-cineeurope-1234638123/

Mooky Greidinger, CEO of Cineworld, the world’s second largest cinema chain, said that health and safety measures are crucial for both the cinema teams and customers.

“But we are very careful not to overdo it,” said Greidinger, who believes most customers will now be aware of what they need to be careful of and how to maintain social distancing.

“We don’t want to create a hospital atmosphere in the cinema. We don’t want to be running after the customers at every step.”

the article also mentions how Mulan is still coming in july 24th, so Disney is going to go first?

“[Audiences] want to dip into it, and so we are going to have to over-deliver on why people are going in the first place,” said Taff. “It has got to be an immersive story; it has got to have characters they connect to emotionally, and then have that shared community experience they can talk about, laugh about and cry about and feel that it was exceptional for them to come back again and again.”

One of the first tentpole theatrical releases after cinemas open is going to be Disney’s live-action version of “Mulan,” which is set for release on July 24.

I received an email from my local indie cinema this afternoon (The Showroom Cinema in Sheffield, UK) outlining their plans for reopening, and they’re saying that opening in July isn’t feasible for them because they want to be confident that once they reopen, they can stay open. As such, they’re aiming for mid-September which I think is a smart and responsible move. It should be pointed out that while it is an indie cinema, they do show new releases as well and would very likely have shown Tenet.

I’d imagine a lot of smaller cinemas will be forced to do the same because they can’t survive on lower admissions due to social distancing measures.

I think the multiplexes are in for a rude awakening if they push ahead with opening in just over 3 weeks.

• Not Cool 1
1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

That’s basically Mooky Greidinger saying he doesn’t want to spend the money to implement further safety measures. You can practically guarantee that Cineworld’s safety practices will be slack at best because they’ll want to keep staffing costs low.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think the multiplexes are in for a rude awakening if they push ahead with opening in just over 3 weeks.

Some theaters are starting to reopen this weekend.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Some theaters are starting to reopen this weekend.

Sorry, I was talking about in the UK. Here they can’t open before July 4th, and that’s still dependant on whether the government allows cinemas to reopen as part of their next lockdown easing.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/cinemark-mark-zoradi-interview-reopening-theaters-coronavirus-theatrical-window-tenet-mulan-1202961827/

For our Movie Club Members, of which we have more than 950K, during the library product, they’ll be able to come to the theater three different times for no cost. You can come see Jurassic World or Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Inception when that comes out, and bring a friend. No cost for you or your friend. We’re giving those passes to every club member.

Free movies, eh? I'll admit, I might be tempted by an empty-ish screening of a few classics. Looking at what they're playing down in Texas this weekend, I could go for Jaws, Blade Runner, and Raiders. Hmm, looks like I could see The Hunt for free too. (Already saw Invisible Man, and just saw Fury Road on the big screen again last year.)

The theater I go to is scheduled for July 10 (https://www.cinemark.com/theatre-reopening-schedule), which is only a week before Inception opens, so that's a possibility too.

And if you want to see how their ticketing and distancing will work, just click on a seat and see what happens:

https://www.cinemark.com/theatres/tx-dallas/cinemark-17-and-imax?showDate=2020-06-19

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, kitik said:

https://deadline.com/2020/06/cinemark-mark-zoradi-interview-reopening-theaters-coronavirus-theatrical-window-tenet-mulan-1202961827/

Free movies, eh? I'll admit, I might be tempted by an empty-ish screening of a few classics. Looking at what they're playing down in Texas this weekend, I could go for Jaws, Blade Runner, and Raiders. Hmm, looks like I could see The Hunt for free too. (Already saw Invisible Man, and just saw Fury Road on the big screen again last year.)

The theater I go to is scheduled for July 10 (https://www.cinemark.com/theatre-reopening-schedule), which is only a week before Inception opens, so that's a possibility too.

And if you want to see how their ticketing and distancing will work, just click on a seat and see what happens:

https://www.cinemark.com/theatres/tx-dallas/cinemark-17-and-imax?showDate=2020-06-19

Letting the movie club members back for 3 free movies before the new movies start is smart...they are the bread and butter of the brand, and the most likely to come back early and to be willing to see old product IF there were no cost barriers...someone in Cinemark should get a raise (and now I'm bummed I never joined)...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

That’s basically Mooky Greidinger saying he doesn’t want to spend the money to implement further safety measures. You can practically guarantee that Cineworld’s safety practices will be slack at best because they’ll want to keep staffing costs low.

I just took CIneworld off of my list of theaters I will be going to. I am not going to support greedheads like Mooky Greidinger (and god, the name sounds like the name a shady Hollywood type would have in a 30 or 40's movie about Hollywood)  with one cent of my money. If that means I have to wait until a movie is out at video, so be it.

• Like 2
  • Not Cool 1