DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

We will require that guests wear masks at the theater (except when eating/drinking)

A theater full of people not wearing masks while they are eating/drinking when watching the movie is safe, but god forbid someone enter the theater complex without a mask. Got it. 

I’m skeptical of how effective these mask policies will be when there are undoubtedly people who will use the consumption of jumbo-sized concessions to not wear one as the film plays. And I also don’t think the run-of-the-mill cinema is going to send an employee in every so often to spot-check and enforce.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I’m skeptical of how effective these mask policies will be when there are undoubtedly people who will use the consumption of jumbo-sized concessions to not wear one as the film plays. And I also don’t think the run-of-the-mill cinema is going to send an employee in every so often to spot-check and enforce.

I remember seeing the Denzel Washington film ‘Flight’ on opening night while sitting next to someone who took the entire running time of the film to eat a medium sized popcorn, one piece at a time. Their hand was going up and down for the entire film.

I know they’ll never do this because all they care about is money, but surely if the cinema owners cared about the theatrical experience as much as they say they do, the best thing to do would be to not allow concessions for the first few weeks of opening and focus on just getting films back in front of people. That way people can keep their masks on at all times. Then relax this rule as it becomes safer.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, meridan said:

The funniest thing about this whole AMC mask "controversy" is that most of the people complaining about it are people who probably won't even be going to the theaters until a vaccine is out. 

Not true.  I'm one of them. 

30 minutes ago, meridan said:

A theater full of people not wearing masks while they are eating/drinking when watching the movie is safe, but god forbid someone enter the theater complex without a mask. Got it. 

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

If they treat it like restaurants where when you're out of your seat you wear a mask but when seated, if eating/drinking, and the seating is socially distanced I will attend. 

The common areas were people are standing in line and inter-mingling are the biggest issues. I'll be wearing my mask except when actually taking a drink and I'm not going to be overly concerned if someone 10 feet is not wearing a mask.  (although if I hear someone hacking up a lung I'm out of there)

It's more how he said it and what he implied.

If he would have just stated:

"Masks are required when not in your seat and when seated we request you keep your mask on unless eating drinking"

He would have been applauded for having a sensible plan

Instead he implied:

a) He believes COVID is not a real danger

b) Masks helping is a made up issue so the Libs can own Trump

c) Revenue is more important than the safety of his customers

Or more likely

d) all of the above

• Like 2
13 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Which is why it's not a feasible option for a 150M+ production to not have a theatrical window, because of the revenue that generates, and the aura a theatrical blockbuster then has once it hits digital and home video. A family of 5, maybe with 4 relatives visiting, are paying 20 bucks instead of 120...

The occasional huge budget streaming service movie works to drive buzz and help subscriptions, but it's not a good long term strategy for all blockbusters. 

Also, they can't just turn VOD into a viable option overnight. It just isn't something people are used to in 95% of markets. Changing consumer habits will take longer efforts and if VOD is to truly replace theatrical or at least be a viable supplement when shortening the theatrical window, it's not going to happen that easily. 

People just don't get  how much more "Bang for the buck" a theatrical release is as far as profits go particularly for a expensive block buster.

Anyway, More and more I think in the end the health officials might be calling the shots, neither the theater owners or the studios.

At the end of the day, it could be very difficult to reopen theaters in countries with relatively high virus circulation. But as far as I know, there hasn't been a single confirmed case of contagion in theaters, we just don't know how dangerous they are. There is a lack of data.

Some countries with very low level circulation are reopening like Australia and South Korea. Contagion is unlikely, in theaters or anywhere else.

In China, they won't even reopen theaters.

In Europe, some countries with low-to-medium circulation are reopening theaters so they may be our best chance to assess the risk. But then you have to wonder if contact tracing will be rigorous enough to identify these cases of transmission, should they occur.

Edited by MrGlass2

AMC's Covid statement is a good example of how NOT to handle this situation.

But AMC appearts to be going down the bankrputcy path anyway (it was on that path before the Covid crisis) and soon Mr Aron will be out of a job.

And I won't shed any tears for him or the rest of the AMC managment team. Incompetence deserves to be punished.

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

At the end of the day, it could be very difficult to reopen theaters in countries with relatively high virus circulation. But as far as I know, there hasn't been a single confirmed case of contagion in theaters, we just don't know how dangerous they are. There is a lack of data.

Some countries with very low level circulation are reopening like Australia and South Korea. Contagion is unlikely, in theaters or anywhere else.

In China, they won't even reopen theaters.

In Europe, some countries with low-to-medium circulation are reopening theaters so they may our best chance to assess the risk. But then you have to wonder if contact tracing will be rigorous enough to identify these cases of transmission, should they occur.

Maybe no specific data, but you don't need specific data to know that big crowds of people in a confined indoor setting is a perfect breeding ground for Germs,and safety measures will be almost impossible to enforce.

24 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I remember seeing the Denzel Washington film ‘Flight’ on opening night while sitting next to someone who took the entire running time of the film to eat a medium sized popcorn, one piece at a time. Their hand was going up and down for the entire film.

I know they’ll never do this because all they care about is money, but surely if the cinema owners cared about the theatrical experience as much as they say they do, the best thing to do would be to not allow concessions for the first few weeks of opening and focus on just getting films back in front of people. That way people can keep their masks on at all times. Then relax this rule as it becomes safer.

Ummm, you weren't sitting next to me, where you...that's exactly how I eat popcorn:)...

Of course, I only start once my kids have demolished their 2 large popcorns in the 1st 15 minutes of the movie trailers (so we're not even to the movie), so when I refill, I keep one and just slowly eat, leaving about 3/4 left to bring home...

PS - When I was a little kid, I apparently was the world champion slowest eater...took me hours to eat a meal, and I ate 1 pea and 1 corn kernel at a time.  Doritos cured me of that issue, but now that I have allergies, I have gone back to slower eating, which does drive my kids nuts - and there is something about savoring fake butter popcorn, since I can't have real butter...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, you weren't sitting next to me, where you...that's exactly how I eat popcorn:)...

Of course, I only start once my kids have demolished their 2 large popcorns in the 1st 15 minutes of the movie trailers (so we're not even to the movie), so when I refill, I keep one and just slowly eat, leaving about 3/4 left to bring home...

PS - When I was a little kid, I apparently was the world champion slowest eater...took me hours to eat a meal, and I ate 1 pea and 1 corn kernel at a time.  Doritos cured me of that issue, but now that I have allergies, I have gone back to slower eating, which does drive my kids nuts - and there is something about savoring fake butter popcorn, since I can't have real butter...

I am a crazy slow eater. I am also very underweight. I am always full it seems. I'm not sure what to do.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

It's not about theatres just "caring about the money" Concessions are what keep theatres in business. I absolutely expect theatres to continue selling popcorn and drinks and there to be some leeway with the mask policy so people can eat and drink.

People have to accept personal responsibility here. Theatres are waiting for the go ahead from the authorities to open so they're playing by the rules. After that, it's YOUR choice to actually go to the theatre or not. If you think it's dangerous, don't go and then blame the theatre if you get sick (or if you make someone else sick).

I'm going to the theatre as soon as it opens and you bet I"m going to celebrate with a popcorn and drink! If I get sick, that's on ME.

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's not about theatres just "caring about the money" Concessions are what keep theatres in business. I absolutely expect theatres to continue selling popcorn and drinks and there to be some leeway with the mask policy so people can eat and drink.

People have to accept personal responsibility here. Theatres are waiting for the go ahead from the authorities to open so they're playing by the rules. After that, it's YOUR choice to actually go to the theatre or not. If you think it's dangerous, don't go and then blame the theatre if you get sick (or if you make someone else sick).

I'm going to the theatre as soon as it opens and you bet I"m going to celebrate with a popcorn and drink! If I get sick, that's on ME.

And if you give the virus to other people???

And that will not be confined to other people in the theater.

That is a really selfish and stupid way to feel.

If the death tool skyrockets, attitudes like this are a major reason why, and says something very ugly about where are our society is headed.

It also shows a total igornace of the way pandemics work....

Edited by dudalb
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And if you give the virus to other people???

And that will not be confined to other people in the theater.

That is a really selfish and stupid way to feel.

If the death tool skyrockets, attitudes like this are a major reason why, and says something very ugly about where are our society is headed.

It also shows a total igornace of the way pandemics work....

Theatres are opening up no matter what. Are you saying nobody should go then, because if we do we're all selfish? If theatres are opening, it's because the appropriate authorities have deemed it okay to do so. Are you saying nobody should show up? Furthermore, and back to my point, it's on other people for showing up knowing there's a potential risk of getting sick. Don't want to risk gettick sick because someone several seats away takes off their mask to eat some popcorn? Don't go then! Everyone who goes to the theatre, or any public place right now really, has to know they're assuming some risk.

While we're at it, do you think all the BLM protesters are selfish? Sure, most of them are wearing masks but we're predictably seeing cases go up again. Hmm, I wonder why that is. 

Edited by JB33

Rhode Island governor announced Phase 3 will begin around July 4th and includes movie theaters at 66% capacity provided 6-foot distancing.

I know those who are opposed to going are very passionate and that's cool. That said, I'm ready to see Tenet in IMAX opening weekend. I'll wear the damn mask and I've always sat as far from other people as possible. 

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Theatres are opening up no matter what. Are you saying nobody should go then, because if we do we're all selfish? If theatres are opening, it's because the appropriate authorities have deemed it okay to do so. Are you saying nobody should show up? Furthermore, and back to my point, it's on other people for showing up knowing there's a potential risk of getting sick. Don't want to risk gettick sick because someone several seats away takes off their mask to eat some popcorn? Don't go then! Everyone who goes to the theatre, or any public place right now really, has to know they're assuming some risk.

While we're at it, do you think all the BLM protesters are selfish? Sure, most of them are wearing masks but we're predictably seeing cases go up again. Hmm, I wonder why that is. 

And if the death toll skyrockets, attitudes like this will be the reason why.

A society that favors money and personal convience above human life don't last very long.

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And if the death toll skyrockets, attitudes like this will be the reason why.

A society that favors money and personal convience above human life don't last very long.

You're basically advocating for another lockdown or close to it. Otherwise, what's the point in anything opening up? The idea is that anyone who goes to a restaurant, theatre etc. is accountable for their choice to go in the first place. They assume risk of a fellow patron making them sick. Could that result in lost lives? Maaaaaybe, but again, if you want to avoid that then you may as well advocate for everything to close up shop again because there's no point in them being open.

Also, what's your take on the mass BLM protests in this context?

Even though case counts are low in most provinces here I think this is the wrong call. You mandate masks until they sit down and then they can take them off if they choose too.

Either way, doesn’t matter to me. No movies for me for awhile. I have nothing against anyone that wants to go and enjoy. I hope you’ll be safe and have fun. 

19 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Even though case counts are low in most provinces here I think this is the wrong call. You mandate masks until they sit down and then they can take them off if they choose too.

Either way, doesn’t matter to me. No movies for me for awhile. I have nothing against anyone that wants to go and enjoy. I hope you’ll be safe and have fun. 

Surprised at this, but just glad they're on the way to re-opening. I was fully willing to wear a mask whenever I'm not eating or drinking, whether it would have mattered or not.