DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Surprised at this, but just glad they're on the way to re-opening. I was fully willing to wear a mask whenever I'm not eating or drinking, whether it would have mattered or not.

I think it’s a smart call to still wear one but that’s of course your call.

I should of been more specific in my other post as well. I think some provinces are ready to have theatres open here with smaller crowds. I’m not sure how many American states are ready for that step so I can understand why so many people are so worried about that there.

We sometimes forget when we’re discussing on here that things aren’t the same everywhere anymore(we all live in different parts of the world), some places are still having thousands of cases a day so people’s concerns are very valid imo. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I think it’s a smart call to still wear one but that’s of course your call.

I should of been more specific in my other post as well. I think some provinces are ready to have theatres open here with smaller crowds. I’m not sure how many American states are ready for that step so I can understand why so many people are so worried about that there.

We sometimes forget when we’re discussing on here that things aren’t the same everywhere anymore(we all live in different parts of the world), some places are still having thousands of cases a day so people’s concerns are very valid imo. 

You make a good point. It's easy for me to be cavalier when I'm talking from BC. I'm fortunate to live here.

And yes, I'll definitely still wear a mask. I don't get popcorn every time I go to a movie anyway so the few times that I do, I'll take it off, chomp away, then put it back on again until I feel like eating more.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I was actually getting relatively optimistic about the situation in early June when the Northeast/Midwest was improved a lot and national numbers were following. But it’s become clear over the past week that the south/west are headed for some real problems, and may be peaking in July. Summer BO is dead imo, optimistically BO will restart late August but even that seems dicey.

Guess this belongs more in this thread, which I am seeing now for the first time 😆

• Like 2
20 hours ago, JB33 said:

You're basically advocating for another lockdown or close to it. Otherwise, what's the point in anything opening up? The idea is that anyone who goes to a restaurant, theatre etc. is accountable for their choice to go in the first place. They assume risk of a fellow patron making them sick. Could that result in lost lives? Maaaaaybe, but again, if you want to avoid that then you may as well advocate for everything to close up shop again because there's no point in them being open.

Also, what's your take on the mass BLM protests in this context?

You are in denial about Covid.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

You are in denial about Covid.

If I was in complete denial about it I wouldn't be talking about taking risks because I wouldn't believe there are any to take.

Anyway, may as well end this here because you aren't addressing my point.

25 years ago in 1995, I watched the Pandemic Film "Outbreak" on the big screen.  Loved the movie and cast.  As we approach theaters trying to reopen, I couldn't help but think of a scene from the film.  It shows how easily a contiguous disease can spread while watching a movie.  Watching the scene again in this time frame really hit home how they need to have a solid safety plan for theaters.  I get it, they have to try but you can't control nature if the disease is still spreading.  I'm hearing cases are rising in several states as we speak.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaf7wGcRyc

Outbreak movie.JPG

Edited by filmscholar
44 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

25 years ago in 1995, I watched the Pandemic Film "Outbreak" on the big screen.  Loved the movie and cast.  As we approach theaters trying to reopen, I couldn't help but think of a scene from the film.  It shows how easily a contiguous disease can spread while watching a movie.  Watching the scene again in this time frame really hit home how they need to have a solid safety plan for theaters.  I get it, they have to try but you can't control nature if the disease is still spreading.  I'm hearing cases are rising in several states as we speak.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaf7wGcRyc

Outbreak movie.JPG

Outbreak is not exactly the most accurate film about a Pandemic. Some of it is silly.

"Contagion" is a far,far, better movie.

Randomly did some checking today.

Century Arden (pretty much the #1 theater in the region) has movie listing starting on July 3rd.

EDIT:::

Most, but not all, Cinemarks are opening locally on the 3rd.  Seem to mostly at $5 tickets for adults and $3 tickets for kids/seniors.  Also seems to be $5 for PLF at first glance.

All of these are old movies, of course, so take that into consideration.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Century Arden (pretty much the #1 theater in the region) has movie listing starting on July 3rd.

*does some more random checking*

Fandango's latest interface.... 

Gonna take some getting used to. 

(it is very very VERY mobile like at first glance)

(xpost with Tracking thread)

haven't said THAT in a while

So Fandango has rolled out a new interface (at least on desktop) as a result of COVID-19 and... it is gonna take some getting used to.

But I noticed something interesting.  Cinemark is re-opening on July 3rd locally (for the most part) and it looks like they will have dynamic social distancing when it comes to seats being sold.

The good news for us trackers (when/if we ever need to track again) is that Fandango is in fact marking what is a socially distance seat and what is a sold seat.  At first glance I couldn't tell.  But it looks like seats are being marked off limits AFTER a purchase.  At least for some Cinemark chains.

Compare this:

1a1opPU.png

and this:

nkCasdJ.png

The seats marked with an "x" were sold and the seats marked with a "/" are socially distanced.

It is an... interesting solution to just blocking seats willy nilly and I hadn't heard much about this before.  I presume this is gonna be done on all ticketing sites that handle Cinemark theaters and I will be curious to see if this goes to the other chains or not (honestly hadn't been paying attention so I don't know if this was already known.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Bit strange how you have some blue seats directly behind/in front of x’s. Otherwise it is a cool solution.

Stadium seating is the explanation, I presume. 

Looks to me that it's if a seat(s) is(are) sold, two seats to the left and right of the sold seat(s) get marked off, but not anything in front or behind.

Edited by Porthos
35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(xpost with Tracking thread)

haven't said THAT in a while

So Fandango has rolled out a new interface (at least on desktop) as a result of COVID-19 and... it is gonna take some getting used to.

But I noticed something interesting.  Cinemark is re-opening on July 3rd locally (for the most part) and it looks like they will have dynamic social distancing when it comes to seats being sold.

The good news for us trackers (when/if we ever need to track again) is that Fandango is in fact marking what is a socially distance seat and what is a sold seat.  At first glance I couldn't tell.  But it looks like seats are being marked off limits AFTER a purchase.  At least for some Cinemark chains.

Compare this:

1a1opPU.png

and this:

nkCasdJ.png

The seats marked with an "x" were sold and the seats marked with a "/" are socially distanced.

It is an... interesting solution to just blocking seats willy nilly and I hadn't heard much about this before.  I presume this is gonna be done on all ticketing sites that handle Cinemark theaters and I will be curious to see if this goes to the other chains or not (honestly hadn't been paying attention so I don't know if this was already known.

I can confirm this dynamic blocking...which makes a ton of sense b/c family and party sizes will be wildly different, so they don't need to worry that they can't sit together and they can prebuy...I, for one, think it's genius.

EDIT TO ADD: Another chain is blocking all the middle seats in advance and opening up the ending 6 seats on each side to orders...and they dynamically block any that aren't bought of those 6 after a purchase is made for a row left or a row right...so no one will ever cross another party, which I think was even more genius...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Porthos said:

EDIT:::

Most, but not all, Cinemarks are opening locally on the 3rd.  Seem to mostly at $5 tickets for adults and $3 tickets for kids/seniors.  Also seems to be $5 for PLF at first glance.

All of these are old movies, of course, so take that into consideration.

Got a list of old movies?

"Lawrence Of  Arabia" might tempt me..

I did catch their special showing of "An American In Paris" right before the Covid hit.

Edited by dudalb