DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

So will Cineworld (owners of Regal) or AMC go bankrupt? It might be pretty dire for the future of the theatrical experience if they go under...

AMC was headed for bankruptcy because of bad managment before the Covid Epidemic.I think Covid just speeded up the process. AMC has had severe problems for years.

Leaving Politics aside, what happened last night has got to worry the big theater chains. The fear factor is still very heavy among the general public.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

It is an... interesting solution to just blocking seats willy nilly and I hadn't heard much about this before.  I presume this is gonna be done on all ticketing sites that handle Cinemark theaters and I will be curious to see if this goes to the other chains or not (honestly hadn't been paying attention so I don't know if this was already known.

Very cool information. Thank you!

Just doing a really simple analysis, and knowing the numbers will vary a lot based on where seats are purchased first and the average group size, but that's 11 seats sold and 20 seats blocked off. I'm going to project that if all of the purchasable seats are sold that a theater could hit about 40% capacity give or take using that system of blocking off seats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Leaving Politics aside, what happened last night has got to worry the big theater chains. The fear factor is still very heavy among the general public.

What happened last night?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Got a list of old movies?

"Lawrence Of  Arabia" might tempt me..

I did catch their special showing of "An American In Paris" right before the Covid hit.

"old" not "classic". ;)

And some are only a few months old.  But since you asked:

That's Century Arden's list at least for the first day.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Very cool information. Thank you!

Just doing a really simple analysis, and knowing the numbers will vary a lot based on where seats are purchased first and the average group size, but that's 11 seats sold and 20 seats blocked off. I'm going to project that if all of the purchasable seats are sold that a theater could hit about 40% capacity give or take using that system of blocking off seats.

Haven't seen if Cali has updated its rules or not, but I seem to recall a 25% of seating/100 people max threshold for now.  So there might be hard coded limits as well which may or may not get lessened as time goes on. 

Obv only would apply to California, so other states might have different max thresholds, if any.

• Thanks 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Wow, 3 stone cold all time classics, and Jaws.

You didn't tag baumer there in that comment?  Guess you decided to leave it as an easter egg for him to find on his own. :lol: 

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

well said. Films breaking the theatrical window should be punished.

• Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dudalb said:

Gonna echo the other poster - what happened?  All I saw was Chicago having child deaths in its unfortunately normal gang gun battles of the weekend, which to be fair, had way more shot and dead that usual.  

Edited by TwoMisfits

12 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

well said. Films breaking the theatrical window should be punished.

maxresdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, poweranimals said:

What happened last night?

The Trump rally in Oklahoma where the campaign was saying they expected a full arena (19,000) plus potentially 40,000 in an outdoor overflow area had 6,200 people in the arena and basically no one in the overflow area.

So even a fair number of Trump supporters may not think it is all that wise to be in close contact indoors. FWIW, that would pretty much match up with a poll last week that had 59% of Americans saying it is a bad idea to have political rallies (23% said it a good idea and 16% said it depends.) Even among Republicans it wasn't that big of an idea. 75% of Democrats and 71% of independents said it was a bad idea, among Republicans it was 42% Good idea, 37% bad idea and there was a strong gender split in Republicans with 50% of Republican men saying it was a good idea (32% saying bad idea) compared to Republican women who said 43% bad idea to 32% good idea.

If the ones we thought were most likely to show up at a large event with people don't actually show up, what does that mean for any other activity with a large amount of people expected to congregate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

The Trump rally in Oklahoma where the campaign was saying they expected a full arena (19,000) plus potentially 40,000 in an outdoor overflow area had 6,200 people in the arena and basically no one in the overflow area.

So even a fair number of Trump supporters may not think it is all that wise to be in close contact indoors. FWIW, that would pretty much match up with a poll last week that had 59% of Americans saying it is a bad idea to have political rallies (23% said it a good idea and 16% said it depends.) Even among Republicans it wasn't that big of an idea. 75% of Democrats and 71% of independents said it was a bad idea, among Republicans it was 42% Good idea, 37% bad idea and there was a strong gender split in Republicans with 50% of Republican men saying it was a good idea (32% saying bad idea) compared to Republican women who said 43% bad idea to 32% good idea.

If the ones we thought were most likely to show up at a large event with people don't actually show up, what does that mean for any other activity with a large amount of people expected to congregate.

Ummm, 3 things...1. movie theaters won't have fights to get in and out of the showings, or any drama (from the media, the counter protest, etc)...2. Movie theaters would have 1/100 or less the planned audience of the political rally...3. I don't think those willing to fight to go to a rally are the ones that normally sit through Hollywood think pieces...

Again, I'd think the protestors are a better example of the possibilities of who would go...

PS - But with all this said, the rally still got thousands to show up to an indoor, movie length event...so, if this is the "bad" news, it''s actually continued good news for theaters, if they have any new popular material to show...people will show in large numbers, even indoors...and movies don't need large numbers indoors...

PPS - I mean, I'd NEVER go to a rally for either party right now (heck, I'd never go to a rally period - I've lived a good long life ignoring all of them) - I don't want drama - but I'd sit through a movie right now, if the material was good enough and the ticket was cheap enough...

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

Nonsense.

The ticketing was framed by Tiktok

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/style/tiktok-trump-rally-tulsa.html

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Nonsense.

The ticketing was framed by Tiktok

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/style/tiktok-trump-rally-tulsa.html

Actually no

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/06/21/tiktok-kpop-trump-tulsa-rally/

the Trump campaign went through its 1.1M RSVP's before the event and knocked out 300K for being fake.  So the campaign knew the real number was closer to 800K.

They also calculated how many of the non-fake RSVP's were within driving range of Tulsa and used that to estimate the numbers they were expcting to see in Tulsa. So if someone was from CA or NY or FL, they didn't expect them to show up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

Wasn't that just Kpop stans and TikTokers buying tickets and intentionally not showing up?

• Not Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Baggins said:

Wasn't that just Kpop stans and TikTokers buying tickets and intentionally not showing up?

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

Actually no

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/06/21/tiktok-kpop-trump-tulsa-rally/

the Trump campaign went through its 1.1M RSVP's before the event and knocked out 300K for being fake.  So the campaign knew the real number was closer to 800K.

They also calculated how many of the non-fake RSVP's were within driving range of Tulsa and used that to estimate the numbers they were expcting to see in Tulsa. So if someone was from CA or NY or FL, they didn't expect them to show up.

The whole “kpop stans embarrassed Trump” storyline is fun, and I understand why the media and social media are enjoying themselves with it, but also basically horseshit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

The whole “kpop stans embarrassed Trump” storyline is fun, and I understand why the media and social media are enjoying themselves with it, but also basically horseshit.

You just had to ruin the dream, didn't you?

• Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1