Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Eric Baggins said:

Just hit the + button next to "Quote", use it on as many posts as you wish, click on "Quote X Posts" on the bottom right, and you're golden.

 

Having said that, only quote when you have different points to make. Even if it's one post, repeating the same mantra to four or five different people isn't beneficial to anybody.

Can you add to a quote to a post in editing the post.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dudalb said:

Can you add to a quote to a post in editing the post.?

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Park Place Cinemas, my nearest theater, will be reopening on Friday with showings of older films like everyone else. Among the titles are Zootopia and Jaws, along with releases that would have or did come out earlier in the year.

While my area has theaters opening next month, someone was genius enough to create and do a drive-in (in an empty parking lot by a restaurant) for $20/car, 1 movie per night from Thurs-Sat.  The darn thing is ALREADY sold out every night through July 16 (which is the last showing for now).  There is a market for folks to go out and watch movies - some places just might want to keep getting more creative...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

While my area has theaters opening next month, someone was genius enough to create and do a drive-in (in an empty parking lot by a restaurant) for $20/car, 1 movie per night from Thurs-Sat.  The darn thing is ALREADY sold out every night through July 16 (which is the last showing for now).  There is a market for folks to go out and watch movies - some places just might want to keep getting more creative...

I wish they’d create more drive in theatres here in the UK, we’ve literally only got a handful at the moment. I know our weather isn’t always suitable for it, but during the summer I’m sure there’d be a market for it. Especially now.

 

I’m not going back to an indoor cinema anytime soon, but I’d go to a drive in to watch Tenet on opening day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I wish they’d create more drive in theatres here in the UK, we’ve literally only got a handful at the moment. I know our weather isn’t always suitable for it, but during the summer I’m sure there’d be a market for it. Especially now.

 

I’m not going back to an indoor cinema anytime soon, but I’d go to a drive in to watch Tenet on opening day.

More and more are opening up but a massive problem with regards to hopes to see Tenet and Mulan there is that they're essentially repurposed outdoor cinemas, which are considered 'non-theatrical' venues. While some indie distributors have screened new stuff at these (eg Curzon last year with The Souvenir previews), studios will be under pressure to not ailenate traditional indoor cinemas (which, unlike in some other countries, aren't getting in on the action) and a lot of these venues won't have DCI projection. And there's no way WB is making a Blu-ray screener of Tenet available to screen....

 

The head of the UK equivalent of NATO just posted this earlier today in response to this very question - how conveniently scapegoating as it hasn't stopped the US and Russia lol - goes to show the multiplexes' position on this:

 

The venues and organisers best positioned to negotiate with WB and Disney etc are those high profile enough with direct relationships - eg Secret Cinema, that are setting up a big drive-in at Goodwood...recently inked a deal with Disney to co-develop immersive screenings based on their library and more SW/MCU 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, antovolk said:

 

in fairness what he's not including in the tweet is that the russian roulette comment he said that about going without wearing a mask. otherwise he says it's "95% safe"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think tenet will be pushed back to next year. The case spike that is happening now is the last straw. You cannot trust people to behave responsibly after opening up and so Multiplexes will be a breeding zone for even bigger spike even with limited seats sold per screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

in fairness what he's not including in the tweet is that the russian roulette comment he said that about going without wearing a mask. otherwise he says it's "95% safe"

Ah, Russian roulette with 20 chambers then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think tenet will be pushed back to next year. The case spike that is happening now is the last straw. You cannot trust people to behave responsibly after opening up and so Multiplexes will be a breeding zone for even bigger spike even with limited seats sold per screen. 

And NYC essentially cancelling the reopening of movie theaters is just the first of many such steps.

Today's bad news about the COvid upsurge just adds to the fire.

A lot of wishful thinking in this thread.

Things are not getting back to anywhere near normal for a long time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly seems as though any semblance of a summer movie slate is done for right now. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see how LA county continues to open up with this big surge in cases. Likely we’ll see some sort of ramping down — at least, I hope so. At minimum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can US movie&TV production restart next month as planned in these conditions? Just like sportsball, it seems difficult when the virus circulation is relatively high.

 

The Bold and the Beautiful is the first to try but it isn't easy:

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grim22 said:

 

This is becoming ridiculous. If studios are literally waiting for everything to align properly in the world, you might as well cancel all 2020 release dates. It's going to be difficult to get China, NY, LA and other major markets in the world to all be okay at the same time during a pandemic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, meridan said:

This is becoming ridiculous. If studios are literally waiting for everything to align properly in the world, you might as well cancel all 2020 release dates. It's going to be difficult to get China, NY, LA and other major markets in the world to all be okay at the same time during a pandemic. 

China is OK right now, but they might wait for a vaccine before reopening theaters anyway.

(and maybe this cautious approach is one of the reasons they are OK, let's see how the movie theater reopening works out in Europe)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, meridan said:

you might as well cancel all 2020 release dates

I guess you intend this as some impossible reductio ad absurdum, but... we’ll see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It certainly seems as though any semblance of a summer movie slate is done for right now. 

NOw all the experts are saying a couple of weeks the deaths will start to skyrocket again

 

Frankly, not being able to see a movie should be the last freaking thing people worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.