DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

^ Just came here to post that. Can't believe how lax they're being, and I doubt it'll encourage people to come. The US gets all the bad press but make no mistake, in its own way the UK has been crap at this too.

Edited by Hatebox

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

^ Just came here to post that. Can't believe how lax they're being, and I doubt it'll encourage people to come. The US gets all the bad press but make no mistake, in its own way the UK has been crap at this too.

England*, not the UK, thank you. 

fixed. 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

England*, not the UK, thank you. 

fixed. 

Granted, although Scotland and Wales's death per capita is nothing to brag about either.

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Granted, although Scotland and Wales's death per capita is nothing to brag about either.

Scotland’s older populations and care homes were definitely hit hard at the beginning. But our deaths have been falling for 8 consecutive weeks now. We’ve got around 20 people in ICU in the whole country. 

in May they estimated 20,000 people had the virus and were spreading it, today it’s 2,000. We’ve had I think 8 days now with 0 deaths. Even some cities in England still haven’t achieved that yet. We’ve been doing consistently well and we’re still planning to reopen at a slower pace than England. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The biggest problem with cinemas is air conditioning.

Its an airborne virus, surfaces have bugger all effect on transmission.

If they haven't fixed that with aircraft level filtration, they will become superspreaders just like cruise ships.

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Scotland’s older populations and care homes were definitely hit hard at the beginning. But our deaths have been falling for 8 consecutive weeks now. We’ve got around 20 people in ICU in the whole country. 

in May they estimated 20,000 people had the virus and were spreading it, today it’s 2,000. We’ve had I think 8 days now with 0 deaths. Even some cities in England still haven’t achieved that yet. We’ve been doing consistently well and we’re still planning to reopen at a slower pace than England. 

Probably because they have delegated deaths from hospitals to care homes.

4 deaths yesterday.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

It’s unbelievable, I’m absolutely not going back to a cinema anytime soon now. Tenet can wait until Blu Ray.

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

Probably because they have delegated deaths from hospitals to care homes.

4 deaths yesterday.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Yep, 4 today. I didn’t say it was days in a row. 

Most of Scotland’s services will be open again by July 15th. Whether or not people choose to go or not is just up to the individual. I’ll be going to the cinema as soon as I can. I’ve been working full time throughout this pandemic, at work. So I’m ready for some leisure and entertainment. 

Films should still be getting released, if people want to avoid them, that’s their choice and they can just wait for video. 

• Like 2

Yeah things aren't looking good right now for the theaters. The spike has been so bad that there now is as many daily new cases as there has ever been (almost 40k daily). Luckily the death toll hasn't risen also but they still do not have any type of control of the spread of the virus. Movie theaters might shut down again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyK said:

The biggest problem with cinemas is air conditioning.

Its an airborne virus, surfaces have bugger all effect on transmission.

If they haven't fixed that with aircraft level filtration, they will become superspreaders just like cruise ships.

Or like that Trump rally at the megachurch where the pastor assured people that the new air condtioning system would filter out or kill the virus.

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Or like that Trump rally at the megachurch where the pastor assured people that the new air condtioning system would filter out or kill the virus.

Not sure what level of filtration they installed by high level do seem to be quite efficient, like on airplanes.

Nursing home / cruise ship didn't had good filtration quite often.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

Not sure what level of filtration they installed by high level do seem to be quite efficient, like on airplanes.

Nursing home / cruise ship didn't had good filtration quite often.

Yeah, normally b/c their filtration system can't handle the filters necessary to filter down that small...I know my new house HVAC can, but my old one couldn't...

I imagine the HVAC industry is gonna have a wildly successful year...especially now...

Texas just stopped it's reopening plans.

Other states will follow;no details, but I would be surprised if movie theater reopenings are one of the things put on indefinent hold.

30 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

R.I.P. AMC and perhaps every other major chain out there.

I agree...if the major DOM chains don't reopen in 2020, they won't ever reopen...and I think movie going domestically will become more niche and community-based.  Although maybe that will bring back the drive-in as a force - silver linings:)...

So I am wondering what happens with markets that are open. Do they get no new content. 

wondering if we could end up seeing some movies open in some places while others have to wait.....

16 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

So I am wondering what happens with markets that are open. Do they get no new content. 

wondering if we could end up seeing some movies open in some places while others have to wait.....

Not of the major tentpole kind, there's gonna be enough indies to go around (not to mention local content) but is it worth it for the mainstream multiplexes 

south korea still has the train to busan spin-off (Peninsula) coming next month (July 15th iirc).  and their theaters have been open for some time.

the first one made 83M back in 2016 (was the highest grossing film in SK that year beating out hollywood blockbusters like Captain America Civil War) and this spin-off should be expected to do big numbers as well I suppose.

1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

Pretty much. And it looks like we may have a relatively long period where Aus/NZ/Europe/Can are ready to go but the US is holding everybody up.

• Like 2