DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

51 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Pretty much. And it looks like we may have a relatively long period where Aus/NZ/Europe/Can are ready to go but the US is holding everybody up.

As long as US and China are closed there will not be any big new releases. Those are the 2 largest markets in the world - no company is going to be able to make a profit on any large budget film without those two markets operating.

Masks are not a guarantee to keep someone safe in the theater because. A person can just take the mask off or lower it when sitting down. Especially if the auditorium is hot 

closing theaters until the pandemic completely passes is the only Option if you don’t want to take any sort of risk 

Just now, John Marston said:

Masks are not a guarantee to keep someone safe in the theater because. A person can just take the mask off or lower it when sitting down. Especially if the auditorium is hot 

closing theaters until the pandemic completely passes is the only Option if you don’t want to take any sort of risk 

Right, but life is always a balance of risk and reward...anytime you step out of bed, you start that calculus.  What needs to happen is a balance of the risk/reward.  Lots of ways to be creative and balance that - the independents have been doing that for weeks (since no one has traced a huge outbreak to any of the 1100 open sites)...no reason the big chains can't, too...while being smaller makes it easier to pivot and adapt, the large companies can put in the work to do so...  

5 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

R.I.P. AMC and perhaps every other major chain out there.

AMC was going bankrupt before the virus hit;this just speeds up the process.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

AMC was going bankrupt before the virus hit;this just speeds up the process.

AMC was going belly up before the Covid virus hit. The virus probably just speeded up the process. The other chains will survive.

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right, but life is always a balance of risk and reward...anytime you step out of bed, you start that calculus.  What needs to happen is a balance of the risk/reward.  Lots of ways to be creative and balance that - the independents have been doing that for weeks (since no one has traced a huge outbreak to any of the 1100 open sites)...no reason the big chains can't, too...while being smaller makes it easier to pivot and adapt, the large companies can put in the work to do so...  

Your desire to see a movie is far out balanced by the need to save people's lives.

Yes, some reopening was necessary to keep the economy from totally dying,but I don't see movie theatrs and other mass venues as being really necessary.

After 4 months, some people here still are unwilling to come to grips with reality.

Edited by dudalb

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah, good luck not going to the theater until 2022.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

AMC was going belly up before the Covid virus hit. The virus probably just speeded up the process. The other chains will survive.

Your desire to see a movie is far out balanced by the need to save people's lives.

Yes, some reopening was necessary to keep the economy from totally dying,but I don't see movie theatrs and other mass venues as being really necessary.

After 4 months, some people here still are unwilling to come to grips with reality.

That may be so...but my area indoor theaters (we already have some pop up drive ins) are opening between July 1 and July 10...whether I go will be TBD, although content and price will probably play huge roles.

Masks inside, limited capacity controlled entries, and prebought and selected seats are already par for the course here, so none of those would be a big issue for the theaters here...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Pretty much. And it looks like we may have a relatively long period where Aus/NZ/Europe/Can are ready to go but the US is holding everybody up.

This. We'll see how long theatres in these countries can survive playing older content. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This. We'll see how long theatres in these countries can survive playing older content. 

Not quite... Help is on the road.

UNHINGEDPhotogSkipBoldenIMG_1014.jpeg?re

Greenland-Movie-Delayed-Release-Date-Ger

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

I'm excited for Greenland

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

dont ever go to any restaurants. They are much more dangerous places than theaters. In fact, all restaurants should remail closed through 2020.

56 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

dont ever go to any restaurants. They are much more dangerous places than theaters. In fact, all restaurants should remail closed through 2020.

I mean, if you want to be 100% safe, maybe don't go. I've gotten take out from restaurants a couple times, but not once yet sat down in one. However you wanna stay safe (or not), you do you, just as long as you do everything you can to make sure you don't put others at risk.

• Like 1

Here’s a list of top theaters (this was for TLK so it may be a bit Disney-friendly but most times it’s the same general group of theaters that are the top-grossers: 

1-AMC Burbank 30 
2-AMC Disney Springs, Orlando FL 
3-AMC Lincoln Square 13 NYC 
4-AMC Empire 25, NYC 
(Combined with E-walk across the road #1)
5-El Capitan, Hollywood 
6-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ 
7-AMC Aventura, FL 
8-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA 
9-AMC Orange 30 
10-AMC Tysons Corner, Mclean VA 
11-AMC Gulf Pointe 30, Houston TX
12-Regal Warren, Moore OK
13-CMX Dolphon, Miami FL
14-Regal Marq Stadium, Houston TX
15-Regal Kaufman Astoria , Brooklyn NY

Ontario Mills + Palace would rank #3

The only one on that list that could

maaaaybe open up is Tysons Corner. Ain’t nobody gonna release a big movie any time soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I mean, if you want to be 100% safe, maybe don't go. I've gotten take out from restaurants a couple times, but not once yet sat down in one. However you wanna stay safe (or not), you do you, just as long as you do everything you can to make sure you don't put others at risk.

Point is that social distancing is a lot easier to enforce in a restaurant then in a theater.

I also might argue that if people are going back to work, restaurants might become a necessity rather then a luxury.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

So I am wondering what happens with markets that are open. Do they get no new content. 

wondering if we could end up seeing some movies open in some places while others have to wait.....

Just got an email from Event. Sessions are on sale now for next Thursday. 

I think the David Copperfield movie is a new release. 

• Thanks 1

So tenet has jumped first. Avalanche incoming?

cant see Mulan staying put now   among many others in early august or July in general. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

So tenet has jumped first. Avalanche incoming?

cant see Mulan staying put now   among many others in early august or July in general. 

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that everything remotely big which was scheduled after Tenet’s July 17 date will move to be behind its Aug 12 date. And then a pretty decent chance the Aug 12 date itself has to creep back. The movie slate is at the mercy of southern states trying to get their shit together.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mulan  will go to vod to make money off rentals then to Disney Plus 

Edited by John Marston

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Here’s a list of top theaters (this was for TLK so it may be a bit Disney-friendly but most times it’s the same general group of theaters that are the top-grossers: 

1-AMC Burbank 30 
2-AMC Disney Springs, Orlando FL 
3-AMC Lincoln Square 13 NYC 
4-AMC Empire 25, NYC 
(Combined with E-walk across the road #1)
5-El Capitan, Hollywood 
6-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ 
7-AMC Aventura, FL 
8-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA 
9-AMC Orange 30 
10-AMC Tysons Corner, Mclean VA 
11-AMC Gulf Pointe 30, Houston TX
12-Regal Warren, Moore OK
13-CMX Dolphon, Miami FL
14-Regal Marq Stadium, Houston TX
15-Regal Kaufman Astoria , Brooklyn NY

Ontario Mills + Palace would rank #3

The only one on that list that could

maaaaybe open up is Tysons Corner. Ain’t nobody gonna release a big movie any time soon. 

Who lives a mere 35 minute drive away from Tysons... :Gaga:

• Haha 4