DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

I guess movie theaters owners in many countries will be so angry about this. Many of them can open by now especially in Europe but with no hollywood movies they will be just losing more money.

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

tbh, studios should open up their vaults and license (at a reduced rate) a ton of their old hits to the theaters that’re open. It costs literally nothing for them and could be the difference between theaters staying solvent or not. 

But then they would be letting go of profit. Studios aren't a charity, their CEO needs the new yacht as opposed to his 3 year old model.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

tbh, studios should open up their vaults and license (at a reduced rate) a ton of their old hits to the theaters that’re open. It costs literally nothing for them and could be the difference between theaters staying solvent or not. 

That's already being done. At least in the US, though I'm sure this is the same elsewhere, drive-ins are playing legacy content (one nearby has Ferris Bueller/Beetlejuice and Grease/Footloose, another is playing Zootopia/Avengers), Jurassic Park is #1, and Regal is set to open their doors in July with old hits for only $5, assuming they won't be closed nationwide. Although to be honest, I would like it if Regal would open in states or counties that have kept that curve flattened. Tom Wolf's kept my state alive, and I feel like we should be rewarded for that.

The problem is, at least from CJohn's Portugal reports, and box office numbers from Australia and New Zealand, people aren't going to these old movies because you can already stream or rent these movies at home, and it's way safer. At most, it'll be a band-aid that'll last for a couple weeks before people get bored.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

That's already being done. At least in the US, though I'm sure this is the same elsewhere, drive-ins are playing legacy content (one nearby has Ferris Bueller/Beetlejuice and Grease/Footloose, another is playing Zootopia/Avengers), Jurassic Park is #1, and Regal is set to open their doors in July with old hits for only $5, assuming they won't be closed nationwide. Although to be honest, I would like it if Regal would open in states or counties that have kept that curve flattened. Tom Wolf's kept my state alive, and I feel like we should be rewarded for that.

The problem is, at least from CJohn's Portugal reports, and box office numbers from Australia and New Zealand, people aren't going to these old movies because you can already stream or rent these movies at home, and it's way safer. At most, it'll be a band-aid that'll last for a couple weeks before people get bored.

There are literally thousands of movies they could choose from, in theory. So far they seem to be trotting out (mostly) the same couple dozen titles that play during summer revival runs and so forth. 

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

There are literally thousands of movies they could choose from, in theory. So far they seem to be trotting out (mostly) the same couple dozen titles that play during summer revival runs and so forth. 

Because those are proven to be popular. I expect we’ll see them get creative and expend offerings, but old content that’s available at home just doesn't drive butts in seats anything like new content not available at home.

14 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Because those are proven to be popular. I expect we’ll see them get creative and expend offerings, but old content that’s available at home just doesn't drive butts in seats anything like new content not available at home.

Well sure, I’m not expecting them to play just random, un-popular stuff... but what about all sorts of theme-programming?

”Relive the summer of ‘95 with all the big hits!”

”For the first time, experience the full Star Trek saga, from The Motion Picture to Star Trek Beyond”

”Take a trip into the epics with The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, etc — and watch them the way they were intended, on our giant premium screens!”

etc

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Well sure, I’m not expecting them to play just random, un-popular stuff... but what about all sorts of theme-programming?

”For the first time, experience the full Star Trek saga, from The Motion Picture to Star Trek Beyond”

”Take a trip into the epics with The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, etc — and watch them the way they were intended, on our giant premium screens!”

etc

That would actually require thought on the part of movie theaters. AMC, Regal and Cinemark have shown they aren't capable of that.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

etc

That's a fun idea for sure. But I don't think it's the studios' fault theaters aren't doing these themed programming. Even Disney, a company notorious for vaulting and refusing to give repertory theaters their catalog titles, are letting their movies play.

If a theater chain or theater owner wants to do the kind of stuff, I doubt studios would be against it, at least during this pandemic, and would grant permission.

13 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

etc

As cool as that sounds, it would only appeal to a very niche demographic. Decades old movies (and even ones just a few years old) that can easily be watched at home just won't generate anywhere near the same potential revenue a shiny new movie would.

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

As cool as that sounds, it would only appeal to a very niche demographic. Decades old movies (and even ones just a few years old) that can easily be watched at home just won't generate anywhere near the same potential revenue a shiny new movie would.

I mean, I’m not expecting them to outgross Bad Boys 3 or even come close to that. But some low-level, steady business combined with concessions might be enough to keep the lights on. So to speak. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, I’m not expecting them to outgross Bad Boys 3 or even come close to that. But some low-level, steady business combined with concessions might be enough to keep the lights on. So to speak. 

I'm actually trying to decide what would get me in the seats for $25 (5 tickets at $5).  It's not a bad idea, but it does need thought.

I'd do a sing-along show of anything...but we can't sing:).

I'd do an experience show of anything...but we can't really experience:).

Maybe a classic viewing of the Disney animateds as they were originally shown with the same opening cartoons AND commercials...throw it totally back to the 1940's or something...maybe:)...

The elephant in the room here is as a number have said. Yes the theatre owners can try and fill the calendar with nostalgic trips and older films but that isn’t going to cut it longer term. You will need new content to bring the people in. Exclusive content. For many places this is going to become a major issue while we wait for US market to return (if it does). 

there is a lot more pain to play out in the theatre business (Domestically and internationally) especially if new releases keep pushing backwards from the Hollywood studios.

I feel like there is a tipping point where studios have to release films in theatres to places that can play it now and either hold back releases in places they can’t or go VOD in the that country.  Not sure how workable that is domestically but I’d imagine there is a tipping point for all parties involved. 

• Like 1

I should note for a place like Australia we do have our own local releases which should continue however the real money spinners are the Hollywood blockbusters and I’d imagine without them eventually cinemas will begin to close. 

53 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

I should note for a place like Australia we do have our own local releases which should continue however the real money spinners are the Hollywood blockbusters and I’d imagine without them eventually cinemas will begin to close. 

The Federal Government should announce a $1billion film fund. $200m each for 5 Aussie blockbusters. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

The elephant in the room here is as a number have said. Yes the theatre owners can try and fill the calendar with nostalgic trips and older films but that isn’t going to cut it longer term. You will need new content to bring the people in. Exclusive content. For many places this is going to become a major issue while we wait for US market to return (if it does). 

there is a lot more pain to play out in the theatre business (Domestically and internationally) especially if new releases keep pushing backwards from the Hollywood studios.

I feel like there is a tipping point where studios have to release films in theatres to places that can play it now and either hold back releases in places they can’t or go VOD in the that country.  Not sure how workable that is domestically but I’d imagine there is a tipping point for all parties involved. 

That's been my point...at some point, all the parties will have to share the pain...or they'll tip each other over the cliff.

Studios have to release new material of some type.  Maybe they have to also reduce their take on that material so theaters can keep prices the same, or even less, if the material is "subpar".  Theaters have to open and show something just to pay the rent.  

The biggest problem the industry has is that it has no DOM juice politically right now on any side.  It won't get any directed stimulus (like the travel industry has been floated to get), it won't get any governmental support to open, and its biggest advocates probably would prefer it stay closed...but what little non-direct stimulus it has gotten fully expires within the next 30 days where it will need to fully sink or swim again...if it stays closed, how will it swim with nothing coming in, and continual bills to pay, when it was already struggling heading into the year?  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I think the audience for novelty re-releases in theatres is too small to justify the costs of reopening. The theaters are going to have to reopen with some big blockbuster like Tenet or Mulan to get butts back into seats.

But while they wait, a non-blockbuster like New Mutants would probably be a good "team play" - it would never make any money in normal theater times, but a supers movie, no matter how bad, might be the popcorn flick that could play long while theaters slowly come online...

I mean, there are 1100 open theaters now...and more want to come online...but the DOM market seems to be hitting $2.2Mish Top 10 for the last few weeks, so even though there are more theaters, there's a ceiling for old material...especially if that old material is just getting recycled from one local theater to the next...

28 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I think the audience for novelty re-releases in theatres is too small to justify the costs of reopening. The theaters are going to have to reopen with some big blockbuster like Tenet or Mulan to get butts back into seats.

To be clear, I’m not talking about here in the States. I’m talking overseas, in other countries where everything is opening up comfortably.