DeeCee

Coronavirus Movie Theatre Reopening Thread | Release Date Changes/Production News | Theaters are dead. Long live streaming!

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

To be clear, I’m not talking about here in the States. I’m talking overseas, in other countries where everything is opening up comfortably. 

Agreed.

I mean for example one of the biggest cinemas in QLD - Chermside is showing Sonic and David Copperfield as the major releases starting on the 2nd July when it reopens.  If you look through the list, essentially they are showing the same films which were in release in March when they closed + a few slightly older films - Ghostbusters, Inside Out, Bohemiam Rhapsody.  Mind you they are also are reopening with half price tickets across the board - almost tempted to go and see Jumanji TNL again but in 4DX :P  Also noting that the # of sessions is way down on what they used to show. (probably around half especially with no sessions starting after 7.15pm local time) .  

For reference Sonic is already out on blueray and you can buy it for $21 AUD from JB right now.  going to be a hard sell if this is the bulk of what we have in cinemas until end of July.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

Agreed.

I mean for example one of the biggest cinemas in QLD - Chermside is showing Sonic and David Copperfield as the major releases starting on the 2nd July when it reopens.  If you look through the list, essentially they are showing the same films which were in release in March when they closed + a few slightly older films - Ghostbusters, Inside Out, Bohemiam Rhapsody.  Mind you they are also are reopening with half price tickets across the board - almost tempted to go and see Jumanji TNL again but in 4DX :P  Also noting that the # of sessions is way down on what they used to show. (probably around half especially with no sessions starting after 7.15pm local time) .  

For reference Sonic is already out on blueray and you can buy it for $21 AUD from JB right now.  going to be a hard sell if this is the bulk of what we have in cinemas until end of July.

I suspect they’ve structured the opening times and staffing schedule so that until the end of September everyone is working up to the JobKeeper amount. Effectively apart from Superannuation and accruing of annual leave they won’t be paying for their employees. 

JobKeeper is $1500 per fortnight before tax. At $22 per hour that equates to a 68 hour fortnight. Almost a full time fortnight. 

I was in JB Hi Fi yesterday and the Blu Ray top 10 was almost identical to the opening day schedule at Event George St. 

• Haha 1

Anyone else think this year's movies are DOA? Even if they all move to next year, the hype is gonna be diminished after so many delays, the movies will not feel fresh anymore. The studios are gonna have to pump up so much money in advertising to get people hyped up again.

Edited by Maggie
2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Anyone else think this year's movies are DOA? Even if they all move to next year, the hype is gonna be diminished after so many delays, the movies will not feel fresh anymore. The studios are gonna have to pump up so much money in advertising to get people hyped up again.

If they were still being promoted maybe, but movie promo has been almost completely suspended for a while except for Tenet (and even that hit the brakes again once it became apparent it couldn't open in July).

Spain has re-opened 200 cinemas this weekend. Onward was #1 on Friday and Saturday but the numbers will be so low. Re-releases are working at least for the moment with Cinema Paradiso at #6 but we need new films. The crucial release is Padre No Hay Más Que Uno 2, an Spanish sequel (the original grossed 14M€ last year) that is being released on August 7th. If that movie flops, cinemas in Spain are doomed until Tenet / Mulan.

Edited by ScareLol
27 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

Excellent video. While absolutely hilarious, it is almost too on the nose and explains why the dream of having a majority of theaters open in the US this year and drawing crowds of meaningful size simply can't happen.

• Sad 1
47 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Excellent video. While absolutely hilarious, it is almost too on the nose and explains why the dream of having a majority of theaters open in the US this year and drawing crowds of meaningful size simply can't happen.

I've been mad impressed at Trevor Noah taking the Daily Show mantle, especially in these times. Dude's been consistently funny and the smartest late night host in the past couple years (I know that's not saying much).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Eric in Boots said:

I agree with 95% of the video.

The other 5% i disagree strongly with and its only the portion where hes making fun of the "boring white people in cinemas". I personally hate people at the movies who talk openly while the film is playing, who laugh when theres not even a reason for it or who explain everything that happens to the people sitting around them or who cheer omg. Ugh, i cant stand that.

Maybe its because here in Germany its considered extremely disrespectfull to do these thing while the film is playing, in the US there seems to be a completely different moviegoing culture :lol:

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I agree with 95% of the video.

The other 5% i disagree strongly with and its only the portion where hes making fun of the "boring white people in cinemas". I personally hate people at the movies who talk openly while the film is playing, who laugh when theres not even a reason for it or who explain everything that happens to the people sitting around them or who cheer omg. Ugh, i cant stand that.

Maybe its because here in Germany its considered extremely disrespectfull to do these thing while the film is playing, in the US there seems to be a completely different moviegoing culture :lol:

Nerd.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

To be clear, I’m not talking about here in the States. I’m talking overseas, in other countries where everything is opening up comfortably. 

I was thinking that smaller releases like New Mutants to give successfully reopening countries something to watch could be worthwhile.

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

In the USA, yeah.

And despite some of what people are saying here, studios are not going to release a major film while the US markets are pretty much closed.

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

In the USA, yeah.

And despite some of what people are saying here, studios are not going to release a major film while the US markets are pretty much closed.

Absolutely, and with China not open yet it's just an easier call. Without US and China most tentpoles are going to be missing 50% of their gross right off the bat. That is before you take into account how many people will be willing to step foot in a theater at all.

Been pretty consistent that between 70-80% of people in surveys say they wouldn't go to a movie. What we saw in Tulsa likely shows alot of truthfulness to that.

You had an event with 1M+ RSVP's, somewhere between 700-800K after the campaign took out fake RSVP's. And in a 19,000 seat arena they got 6,200 to go inside. Less than 1/3 capacity. I doubt we see anything much different than that from a percentage standpoint for a movie.

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

Absolutely, and with China not open yet it's just an easier call. Without US and China most tentpoles are going to be missing 50% of their gross right off the bat. That is before you take into account how many people will be willing to step foot in a theater at all.

Been pretty consistent that between 70-80% of people in surveys say they wouldn't go to a movie. What we saw in Tulsa likely shows alot of truthfulness to that.

You had an event with 1M+ RSVP's, somewhere between 700-800K after the campaign took out fake RSVP's. And in a 19,000 seat arena they got 6,200 to go inside. Less than 1/3 capacity. I doubt we see anything much different than that from a percentage standpoint for a movie.

I think you’re vastly underestimating the amount of fake RSVP’s there. There’s no way that a rally at a place with a capacity of 19,000 received 700k real ticket requests.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think you’re vastly underestimating the amount of fake RSVP’s there. There’s no way that a rally at a place with a capacity of 19,000 received 700k real ticket requests.

Yeah the absolute majority of those Tulsa rally ticket request were actually TikTok teens and K-Pop fans trolling Trump.

• Like 1